how long to keep frozen meat

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

how long to keep frozen meat

Post by ving-thorr »

How long can you safely/tastily keep frozen game meat?
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: how long to keep frozen meat

Post by hfcable »

because of the lower fat content, it remains 'tasty', in my experience, for several years, unlike beef. it probably remains safe almost indefinitely, though you might not want to eat it.
cable
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

As long as it is not freezer burned it does good IMO. I pack in saran wrap with no air and then foil. I've pulled things out four years later that have been fine flavor and texture wise.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I wouldn't know but after 1 year, I grind all of mine up into burger and make jerky out of it to take hunting and such. I don't have room in two freezers to carry over year to year.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

thanks for the info guys. i have some mule deer left that's just over a year, and it didn't seem right to pitch it. glad i can save it. thanks!
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Tycer wrote:As long as it is not freezer burned it does good IMO. I pack in saran wrap with no air and then foil. I've pulled things out four years later that have been fine flavor and texture wise.
Same way I treat mine. I've read that frozen meat will keep indefinitely. If a little freezer burn does get on it, it's easy enough to cut/scrape off.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

We dug up some elk from back in the 90's out of the bottom of the freezer.. it was fine.
If meat is properly wrapped and the freezer never had any thawing out, it'll last a long long time.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

ving-thorr wrote:thanks for the info guys. i have some mule deer left that's just over a year, and it didn't seem right to pitch it. glad i can save it. thanks!
Grind it, add a bit of pork or beef for some extra fat, add whatever seasonings you like, and make burgers.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have a self-defrosting freezer that actually lets things thaw out a little and then re-freezes them, it deteriorated the meat in about 8 months.

Later I tried a tip from a Levergunner to keep the meat in a block of ice. The water on the outside dealt with the defrosting, but inside it stayed solid. This meat was in much better condition but I finished it within a year.

What I did was put meat in small bags, squeezed out the air, then put the small bags in larger bags which I filled with water.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If it's vacuum packed it'll stay nice indefinitely. I read where in Siberia they dug up a 10,000 year old frozen Wooly Mammoth and was able to thaw out the meat and eat it. It still had fresh frozen greens in it's mouth. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My inlaws are custom butchers and they recommend double wrapping the meat. Like others have said, even if a little freezer burn gets on it, just cut that part off. --------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I like to double wrap using butcher paper. Lately I have been single wrapping and then using one of those machines that suck all the air out and seals it. Works really well. I have no idea how long it will last, but my stuff never seems to have any ill effects from being frozen.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

alnitak wrote:
Tycer wrote:As long as it is not freezer burned it does good IMO. I pack in saran wrap with no air and then foil. I've pulled things out four years later that have been fine flavor and texture wise.
Same way I treat mine. I've read that frozen meat will keep indefinitely. If a little freezer burn does get on it, it's easy enough to cut/scrape off.
Folks are too picky.

G_d gave us chili, and I think that we should use it.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I started using a Food Saver vacuum sealer a few years ago. Meat two years old has no freezer burn and taste great.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:If it's vacuum packed it'll stay nice indefinitely. I read where in Siberia they dug up a 10,000 year old frozen Wooly Mammoth and was able to thaw out the meat and eat it. It still had fresh frozen greens in it's mouth. :wink:

I remember that. Didn't "people" pay a lot of money to have a meal of Mammoth. Or was a raffled event. Guess I'll be googling tonite.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

El Chivo wrote:I have a self-defrosting freezer that actually lets things thaw out a little and then re-freezes them, it deteriorated the meat in about 8 months.

Later I tried a tip from a Levergunner to keep the meat in a block of ice. The water on the outside dealt with the defrosting, but inside it stayed solid. This meat was in much better condition but I finished it within a year.

What I did was put meat in small bags, squeezed out the air, then put the small bags in larger bags which I filled with water.
I'm pretty sure you can set your temp a bit lower to help mitigate damage due to the defrost cycle. The walls of the fridge will get warm for a bit to nip the frost away, but if the food is colder to begin with it may not thaw on the outside at all. Also, keep your long term storage meets in a central place, away from the walls of the freezer.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Keep your freezer full, even if it's empty milk cartons.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Back in the 90's when I was a police officer I responded to a sick case where a man in his 60's was violently ill and doubled over in pain. He told the medics that he had eaten lunch a little earlier in the day and had hamburgers cooked by his wife who was also present. I asked her where she had purchased the meat and she replied that she had taken it out of the freezer that day, she told me that it had been in the freezer for about five years. She had a salad for lunch and was fine.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

We have beef that we have had in the freezer for two plus years. Double wrapped, and kept frozen, I have never had any problems. I believe that it could go longer but personally have never kept any longer. I have never had any problem with freezer burn in 2 1/2 years either.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

elmo123 wrote:Back in the 90's when I was a police officer I responded to a sick case where a man in his 60's was violently ill and doubled over in pain. He told the medics that he had eaten lunch a little earlier in the day and had hamburgers cooked by his wife who was also present. I asked her where she had purchased the meat and she replied that she had taken it out of the freezer that day, she told me that it had been in the freezer for about five years. She had a salad for lunch and was fine.
I'd bet money that it wasn't frozen the whole time.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.