Popping primers in a model94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crewzin4abrewzin
Levergunner

Popping primers in a model94

Post by crewzin4abrewzin »

I just inherented a Winchester 94 from my grandpa the serial # puts it as being made in 1899. Took it out and shot it the other day. It shot great me and my mom were putting holes through a beer can evry shot at about 65yds. However it was popping the primers out a bit, about 1/6" or less. Should this be a cause for concern?
Hobie

Re: Popping primers in a model94

Post by Hobie »

If using factory ammo it is likely excessive headspace. Might be a cause for concern if you want to reload. I'm wondering how you measure 1/6" when this means the primer should be laying on the carrier.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome - pics of the rifle?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Even 1/16" would be way too much, that`s .032" :o

OOPS !! I had a brain pfart!! .062 :oops:
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

crewzin4abrewzin
Levergunner

The primer was protruding out a lil bit proud instead of flush with the bottom of the shell casing.
As for pics if I can figure out how to post them I will. Any pointers posting pics? Im using an iphone.
Gramps had it reblued about 20 years ago the barrel was browned and looks almost perfect other then not being original. As for the wood the forearm is in pretty good shape but the stock is a lil beat, it was cracked on the narrow part wear the tangs are and was fixed with a plate on one side and 3 big rivets or studs going through both sides of the stock. Is there a name for that fix or is it just called furniture? I like the repair though i'm sure some would say it's ugly but I think it adds character.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I went for the shortest post ever. Do I get a prize? ............I guess that will be surpassed by an even shorter answer.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

flatnose wrote:I went for the shortest post ever. Do I get a prize? ............I guess that will be surpassed by an even shorter answer.
no
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crewzin4abrewzin
Levergunner

Put my calipers on one of the shells the primer is proud .026" which is a little less then 1/32"
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome to the fire, seems a little warmer already. Any bulging aint good. Do U know the history of the Gun, as in how much it has been used and shot ? Shot alot = worn, shot a little = eroded chamber maybe as it is a BP Gun.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I've had more than one 94 that would back primers out some. Wouldn't hurt to have headspace checked, but I don't know if it's critical.
I'd be more worried if bolt is dimpled around firing pin.

Byron
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote:
flatnose wrote:I went for the shortest post ever. Do I get a prize? ............I guess that will be surpassed by an even shorter answer.
no
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
crewzin4abrewzin
Levergunner

not sure if i got the pic posting figured out but gonna try
[img][IMG]http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o73 ... f18be2.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o73 ... 294a8c.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o73 ... adbd99.jpg[/img][/img]
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It's not uncommon. It can be several factors, and it can even be in spec and do it. The fact that the primer is protruding is generally an indication of low pressure, not neccesarily a headspace issue, most rifle loads back primers out a bit upon firing, but reseat the primer after ignition, according to the guys that write about such things.

If it was a real issue with headspace and pressure, you'd be separating case heads.
as it is, the shell isnt even making enough bolt thrust to reseat the primer, so shells arent stretching much.

This comes up fairly regularly.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44051&p=550766&hili ... ce#p550766
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
crewzin4abrewzin
Levergunner

Thnx for the link malamute. Sounds like I got nothing to worry bout then.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crewzin4abrewzin wrote:not sure if i got the pic posting figured out but gonna try

There. Fixed that for ya.

Hmmm... full length octagon with a half-mag. If original, that'd be only one of a few.

Since it's been refinished anyway, and you want new, production-like wood, try thses folks: Precision Gun Works, Inc.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

flatnose , You are right! OOPS!!
What was I thinking???? :oops:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

crewzin4abrewzin wrote:Put my calipers on one of the shells the primer is proud .026" which is a little less then 1/32"
You wouldn't get that much protrusion if the old rifle didn't have a certain amount of excess headspace. But like Malamute says, it's real common and no problem in 30/30 level pressures if you are shooting factory ammo. If you want to reload for it, come back here and we can tell you how to take care of it.

And man, that old baby has lots of character! That is a treasure: I wouldn't replace that stock so long as it keeps hanging together -- too much of a story being told.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

She sure looks like its been used and liked... Kind of like some of mine, only used and neglected before me.
Now please take the hammer off full cock position.. Thats kinda hard on 113 year old springs... Just think what you would feel like at that age..under tension..LOL
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Make up some nice cast bullets and Trailboss loads.