Pondering doing some trading, need some ideas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Pondering doing some trading, need some ideas

Post by awp101 »

I have a 1948 (IIRC) Winchester 75 Target I'm thinking of offering up for trade. It's nice but it's more of a benchrest rifle and I'm just not the benchrest type. Due to some extra holes (I didn't do it! :lol: ), the value is around $350-400.

The top things that catch my fancy at the moment are a blued 22" .45-70 Ruger No1, a replica Sharps .45-70 (whatever the shortest version is, I haven't dug around yet to see what's what), or a replica Sharps 1859/1863. Now obviously given the "value" of the 75T, all of them are going to be used.

From what I saw on gunbroker it looks like the No1s are starting around $500 so that's probably a stretch. I don't know how well any of the older replica Sharps (any version) have held their value or what the spare parts situation is since Pedersoli, etc have been bringing in newer/better versions (or at least that's my understanding).

The biggest question I have is if any of them are a realistic possibility or is my "budget" just a little short?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Pondering doing some trading, need some ideas

Post by Mescalero »

Do you play poker?
Are you any good at it?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rarely.

Not really... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We need a new plan!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Isn't that the Model 75 that Teddy Roosevelt used to win at Wimbledon?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yer short, bro............... I haven't seen ANY used .45-70 Ruger #1 for less than $650 in over 2 years; and seriously doubt you'll see a used repli-Sharps at all, let alone under $1K.

I'm with TTT - ya need some provenance, to jack up the value on thet M75.

What IS a realistic comparitive value, if you really want a .45-70, would be a H&R Buffalo Classic - easily found used/NIB about $350.

(Wal - it IS an idea.....)

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think I want one of those Pete, send the action, get different barrels.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have one for sale if you are interested, $350.00 plus shipping.

Mike
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've shot a couple of these....Nice, heavy, and solid come to mind. Start a fund, and save for a Sharps :idea:

( I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want a curved steel buttplate on these :wink: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks guys, I was thinking my interests vs what I have to offer were...optimistic. :lol:

I looked at the Sharps 1859, 1863 and 1874s but it's hard for me to tell the older ones from the newer (and higher $$$) ones so I wasn't sure what the real street price might be.
BlaineG wrote:Image

I've shot a couple of these....Nice, heavy, and solid come to mind. Start a fund, and save for a Sharps :idea:

( I can't for the life of me understand why someone would want a curved steel buttplate on these :wink: )
Had one and it wasn't too bad if you stuck to BP levels (like the GOEX Black Dawge loads I had). With modern jacketed stuff it was another story. :o :mrgreen:

I have a project Trapdoor already as well as a .500 S&W Handi (Christmas present but no ammo or range time yet or in the near future :roll: ) but I'm a sucker for falling and tilting blocks. :mrgreen:

I may just list it and use the proceeds to start a Sharps fund as suggested.
Pete44ru wrote:Yer short, bro...............
Yeah, 5'9 ain't tall anymore... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm short fer my weight, too - according to medical height/weight charts, I should be 12' 7" tall. ;)

barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Stay away from the IAB Machino or SILE percussion Sharps ,they would be around your price range but the quality for the most part just isn t there.The Pedersoli percussion Sharps aren t bad but they are made like the originals with a sliding gas seal that can seize up even with the best of care.Most shooters of the Pedersoli models do a modification to the breech block with an o ring seal to prevent gas blow by from the breech.O f course the best of the bunch is a shiloh,the percussion versions normally don t hold on to their value as much as the cartridge versions so there are deals out there though probably not as low as $500.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

barbarossa wrote:Stay away from the IAB Machino or SILE percussion Sharps ,they would be around your price range but the quality for the most part just isn t there.The Pedersoli percussion Sharps aren t bad but they are made like the originals with a sliding gas seal that can seize up even with the best of care.Most shooters of the Pedersoli models do a modification to the breech block with an o ring seal to prevent gas blow by from the breech.O f course the best of the bunch is a shiloh,the percussion versions normally don t hold on to their value as much as the cartridge versions so there are deals out there though probably not as low as $500.
No dice on the Shilohs. :( How are the Armi Sport?

I've read about a couple of o-ring mods but on one of the forums someone mentioned it was about $500. :shock: Is there a shade tree tinkerers version of the mod for about $50? :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at