Tradewins Husqavarna Experts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Tradewins Husqavarna Experts?

Post by Mainehunter »

I guy at work wanted an old Jeep CJ transmission that I had in my garage but didn't have any cash. After a few weeks gone by he called again and offered me a trade for an Husqavarna. I looked it over and the deal was done.

Coming from Tradewins, it's a 4100 Lightweight in 30-06 but I'm having problems on the date it was built and what makes it 4100. Some books I have puts it around 1949 others not until 1955. The barrel is easily 24" if not 26" long (haven't measured yet) and has the correct stamping on top of the barrel. They are comparable to the 1600 series but not quite sure on that either. Any ideas?

Mainehunter :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tradewins Husqavarna Experts?

Post by Pete44ru »

The Husvarna 4100 Lightweight was made from 1954 to 72 on the "improved" HVA action, which is based on a Small Ring Mauser 98, with a schnobble-tipped forend on the walnut stock & 20-1/2" bbl.

They are NOT the same as the earlier small ring Husqvarna's, which were based on the "cock-on'closing" military Mauser 1896.

I've had a few of them, and the lighter ones are definitely great hunting/carrying rifles, with all the strength & safety features of the 98 Mauser.

Some were even made/branded as the S&W Models A, B, C, & D - before the later HVA action came into use (when S&W used different model designations).

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have one in .243, this gun has made it's rounds in the family.
For some reason this gun " thumps " me hard when I shoot it.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Pete44ru wrote:The Husvarna 4100 Lightweight was made from 1954 to 72 on the "improved" HVA action, which is based on a Small Ring Mauser 98, with a schnobble-tipped forend on the walnut stock.

They are NOT the same as the earlier small ring Husqvarna's, which were based on the "cock-on'closing" military Mauser 1896.

I've had a few of them, and the lighter ones are definitely great hunting/carrying rifles, with all the strength & safety features of the 98 Mauser.

Some were even made/branded as the S&W Models A, B, C, & D - before the later HVA action came into use (when S&W used different model designations).

That being said regarding the time period of being built, do you have any ideas when it was built with sn 104XXX? And are they similar to the European models such as the 1600 or others?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you are asking me, I can't say I am in Az. the gun is in N.M.
I think the reason it thumps me hard I think is because the stock is traditional european styling.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Mescalero wrote:If you are asking me, I can't say I am in Az. the gun is in N.M.
I think the reason it thumps me hard I think is because the stock is traditional european styling.
Here in Sweden these guns were known as Modell 1600 Lätt, and they indeed have a reputation of being mean at the shooter. They came with short barrels and stocks in upgrade walnut, often with factory mounted Pecar scopes in Weaver mounts.

The action is a clone between Mauser M94 and M98, and also Winchester M70 has contributed to the construction of the ejector.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
The barrel is shorter than most modern bolt rifles,
glad to hear I am not the only who felt that way.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Mescalero wrote:I have one in .243, this gun has made it's rounds in the family.
For some reason this gun " thumps " me hard when I shoot it.
I believe it! It's pretty light and to be chambered in 30-06, I'm sure it kicks pretty good. Here it is:

I really don't know what I'm going to do with it. I already have three rifles in 30-06 not including this one. I may ponder on this for a bit. Wouldn't mind having it re-chambered into a smaller caliber and would carry nicely in the woods or hike up a hill top. One thing for sure I'm not too crazy having a modern looking peep sight on older rifle such as this unless it's the only option I have.

K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I am not very vell versed on the Mauser action. The Husqvarna 4100 has a Mauser like action (long claw, non-rotating extractor). Can this rifle safely be loaded by inserting a round in the chamber and closing the bolt on top of it, or does this subject the extractor to excessive force and possible breakage? Thanks.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like a nice gun to me, on EBay sometimes you can find lyman or redfield rec, sights
for mauser rifles fairly cheap, if the husky is the same i dont know

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
I have a Lyman for my Husky.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Mainehunter: There is a very informative forum on Gunboard's forums on Swedish sporting rifles. some real experts there would help you out.. your rifle has the mauser flag safety, not a side slideing safety. If you posted your pics there, you'd get some info.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like that rifle with the peep sight, I am the son of my father in gun tastes. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

These two articles on Husqvarnas repeaters are readable with the help of Google Translate:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... bruksbossa

http://translate.google.se/translate?sl ... iskastaren

BTW, the rifle pictured above is a Husqvarna 640 with beech stock, built on a FN Sporting Mauser Action. The same action was used for the finnish Sako High-Power rifles.

Pete
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like that rifle with the peep sight, I am the son of my father in gun tastes. :wink:
Oh don't get me wrong, I love peep sights as well but it's too modern looking. If I'm going to keep it I'll try to find an older Lyman 48M or Redfield 70,80.
Les Staley wrote:Mainehunter: There is a very informative forum on Gunboard's forums on Swedish sporting rifles. some real experts there would help you out.. your rifle has the mauser flag safety, not a side slideing safety. If you posted your pics there, you'd get some info.. Les
I'm actualy a forum member there but it's been so long that I posted there I forgot my password to get in.
Old Shatterhand wrote:These two articles on Husqvarnas repeaters are readable with the help of Google Translate:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl ... bruksbossa

http://translate.google.se/translate?sl ... iskastaren

BTW, the rifle pictured above is a Husqvarna 640 with beech stock, built on a FN Sporting Mauser Action. The same action was used for the finnish Sako High-Power rifles.

Pete
Pete, Thanks for those articles! They are quite helpful.

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Mainehunter wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I love peep sights as well but it's too modern looking. If I'm going to keep it I'll try to find an older Lyman 48M or Redfield 70,80.
A Husqvarna factory peep sight. the "Jaktdiopter":

P.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I love peep sights as well but it's too modern looking. If I'm going to keep it I'll try to find an older Lyman 48M or Redfield 70,80.
A Husqvarna factory peep sight. the "Jaktdiopter":

P.
Boy I like that! :mrgreen: Where did you get that one or did it come with it?

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Mainehunter wrote:Boy I like that! :mrgreen: Where did you get that one or did it come with it?

It was in the article. I once had one with it proprietary partridge sight. However, I wasn't able even to hit a barn from the inside with it and sold it away. (I am really bad at shooting peep sights.) Having sold it, I soon realised that I sold it too cheap. These sight are sought after here.

F.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That diopter / peep looks an awful lot like the XS peep for Mauser rifles.