357mag cat sneeze loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

357mag cat sneeze loads?

Post by Nath »

It must of been asked before I am sure gents!

Has anyone got any cat sneeze loads for180 and 158grn jacketed bullets?

I have Herco, Green Dot, H4227 and H110. The two latter are a no go I know but I do have some H322 H4895 and BL-C2! I wondered if a case full of these slow for cal powders would pop them out all be it messy?

Any knowledge gents would be appreiciated?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 357mag cat sneeze loads?

Post by earlmck »

Nath, I use 1 or 1.5 grains of Green Dot behind a cast bullet to just poop through the barrel and get stopped in a pile of rags for "slugging" the barrel. For jacketed bullets I think I'd not drop below about 3 grains, and that would be a very light 38 Special load I'd think -- maybe a bit past the sneeze level?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

To do it right you will need to get some faster powder I believe.
Bullseye, Red Dot, Trail Boss ,etc.
Something not position sensitive in small doses.
Have fun, stay safe! :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks guy's.

I wondered about trying 3grn of Grn' dot but maybe stuff some toilet tissue in the case first!

I was wondering if I could get it to knock squirrels out the tree tops without cracking folks roof tiles half a mile away!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Maybe a Round ball or two would be the way to go.

I know I would hate to stick a jacketed bullet in that nice Winchester barrel.

If it is any help, I get 1088 fps with 4.8 grs. Green Dot with the Lee 158gr LSWC in a mag case, same rifle as yours.

Good luck--- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Nath, I don't have experience with real light loads using jacketed bullets 'cause many years ago a fellow I respected advised against using the jacketed bullets that way. I have shot modest numbers of lead bullets in very light loads with very satisfactory results. If you got hold of something like J35nut's LSWC bullet I wouldn't hesitate to use that in a load down to 2 grains of Green Dot and I'm sure that wouldn't be sending her out the barrel vary fast at all. Green Dot has been my go-to powder for a fast powder since I got a "deal" on a big keg of it years ago and I no longer do any shot shell reloading. Seems to work real fine and I don't think it'd be real position sensitive in your 357. Especially if you are shooting squirrels out of trees -- it would like that position :lol:
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Nath wrote:It must of been asked before I am sure gents!

Has anyone got any cat sneeze loads for180 and 158grn jacketed bullets?

I have Herco, Green Dot, H4227 and H110. The two latter are a no go I know but I do have some H322 H4895 and BL-C2! I wondered if a case full of these slow for cal powders would pop them out all be it messy?

Any knowledge gents would be appreiciated?

Nath.
You might ask here

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/vi ... forum_id=4
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
dracothered
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dracothered »

earlmck wrote:Nath, I don't have experience with real light loads using jacketed bullets 'cause many years ago a fellow I respected advised against using the jacketed bullets that way. I have shot modest numbers of lead bullets in very light loads with very satisfactory results. If you got hold of something like J35nut's LSWC bullet I wouldn't hesitate to use that in a load down to 2 grains of Green Dot and I'm sure that wouldn't be sending her out the barrel vary fast at all. Green Dot has been my go-to powder for a fast powder since I got a "deal" on a big keg of it years ago and I no longer do any shot shell reloading. Seems to work real fine and I don't think it'd be real position sensitive in your 357. Especially if you are shooting squirrels out of trees -- it would like that position :lol:
How about something like a wadcutter?
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

even a mouse sneeze might crack a skull at 1/2 mile...???
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Nath wrote:Thanks guy's.

I wondered about trying 3grn of Grn' dot but maybe stuff some toilet tissue in the case first!

I was wondering if I could get it to knock squirrels out the tree tops without cracking folks roof tiles half a mile away!

N.
For loads with very little power in great big cases, I use the synthetic pillow stuffing you can find at Walmart or craft stores. I've been told the filler keeping the powder in relatively the same position helps with keeping velocities closer to the same level.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

dracothered wrote:How about something like a wadcutter?
I'd think it would be ideal if it'll feed in your rifle (my persnickity Rossi probably wouldn't feed 'em -- it has very strong length and nose-shape preferences).
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rogn wrote:even a mouse sneeze might crack a skull at 1/2 mile...???

I hear you 8)

I pick my shots so a heavy limb or or the trunk is a back stop. If not I walk. I passed on one just so last weekend. The next one provider the tree trunk.

Would of been good to slip a sub-load in.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

rogn wrote:even a mouse sneeze might crack a skull at 1/2 mile...???
Yes, and my truck is MUCH more likely to blow a tire on the way to my hunting spot possibly crossin the centerline and killin an entire family. If I was gonna lose too much sleep over it I'd just stay home.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

You might consider a lead round ball load. Lighter weight = less energy, and the ballistically inferior shape
loses velocity very quickly. Many folks have worked them up to shoot to POI at ~25 yards with their normal
hunting loads. There is a wealth of info on this on the Cast Boolits website. Good luck, mate! :)

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968