Mmmmmm, jackrabbit!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Mmmmmm, jackrabbit!

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mmmmmm, jackrabbit!

Post by Tycer »

I absolutely love jackrabbit meat. Beats those pale-meated bunnies hands-down!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wow thanks for that,
Our blacktails in N.M. are quite large.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon's recipe wrote: we got many meals out of a little more than one hare. The reason is because the meat is so flavorful
Yes, that's a polite way of saying it. If you like really gamy tough meat you'll love jack rabbit.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

if there was only one thing i could hunt for the rest of my life.... that would be it :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, it sounds like you are not all that "wild" about jacks. Do you get after the cottontails over your way?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

wilko wrote:if there was only one thing i could hunt for the rest of my life.... that would be it :)
I'm with wilko on the hunting -- jacks are my all-time favorite target. They are way down on my list of edible, though I have certainly eaten them a time or two.
Bill in Oregon wrote:Earl, it sounds like you are not all that "wild" about jacks. Do you get after the cottontails over your way?
I do happily take a cottontail when opportunity arises, though I don't know of any place nearby with enough concentration of them to attract a hunting expedition. And the jack population has been depressed for years and seems to be getting even further depressed. I'm afraid they are becoming an endangered species in this part of Oregon.

And here I sit with a bunch of the finest jack rabbit shooting firearms I've ever possessed: 218 Bee, 25-20, 32-20, 357 -- on the '92 style action. Perfect rabbit weapons! And so few targets! :cry:
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My father and mother lived thru the toughest days of the Depression in rural Wyoming, spending at least one winter in a soddy, living by their wits and often hungry. I recall asking Mom once about the subject of eating jackrabbits, she told me she knew the Indians ate them but she and Dad were never quite THAT hungry. :)
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

jnyork wrote:My father and mother lived thru the toughest days of the Depression in rural Wyoming, spending at least one winter in a soddy, living by their wits and often hungry. I recall asking Mom once about the subject of eating jackrabbits, she told me she knew the Indians ate them but she and Dad were never quite THAT hungry. :)

all they needed was a good recipe... dark brown beer and prunes in the crock pot :)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I am nearly in tears to think you own those rifles in those chamberings and are currently rabbit deprived!
8)
That said, I just saw a report on Ifish from a guy from Harrisburg who took his son over to the Terrebonne area this past weekend and really got into them.
If you ever need someone to help kick the sagebrush for bunnies, give me a shout!
Bill
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

We had a bumper crop in N.M. this year, no license.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

When I lived in southern AZ I used to hunt jacks all the time. I was in my .223 phase back then, I believe. It was great sport.

I used to bring them home and my young bride, being a dutiful soul, found a way to cook them. We used to soak them in salt-water or a light wine for a day or so to get rid of the gameiness, and then she'd stew the meat in a hasenpfeffer.

Given the nature of the meat, I thought that what she was able to craft was pretty darn good.

Maybe it's just a fond memory of days gone by, but I like jackrabbit.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

wilko wrote:
jnyork wrote:My father and mother lived thru the toughest days of the Depression in rural Wyoming, spending at least one winter in a soddy, living by their wits and often hungry. I recall asking Mom once about the subject of eating jackrabbits, she told me she knew the Indians ate them but she and Dad were never quite THAT hungry. :)

all they needed was a good recipe... dark brown beer and prunes in the crock pot :)
Both of which were unobtainable at the time, they cost money. To say nothing of the fact that crockpots had not been invented yet.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

In this part of Missouri, jackrabbits come and go with the population explosions and declines.
I haven't seen one in several years now.
I've never eaten one but, one winter I picked up a fresh road kill and fed my hound for three days with it.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

wilko wrote:if there was only one thing i could hunt for the rest of my life.... that would be it :)
Amen to that

I hunted them 2 or 3 evenings a week year round for most of my life.

It was really fun on off years when the cycle was down, the few Jacks you could find were super smart, and you actually had to hunt them just like big game. I have seen them break at over a hundred yards many a time.

The cold month's I ate them, during the warm month's the hounds and the chicken's ate them.

Have fun---J
Last edited by J35 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If I didn't know this was Hasenpfeffer, I'd swear it was carrot stew. One of the great lines from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

We used to hunt them with shotguns in the Winter months back in SouthWest Kansas. Soaking them in buttermilk for 24 hours and then stewing them was a way to make them edible.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Uhm, waiter, there's a hare in my soup!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote:a guy from Harrisburg who took his son over to the Terrebonne area this past weekend and really got into them.
If you ever need someone to help kick the sagebrush for bunnies, give me a shout!
Bill
Holy smokes Bill -- Terrebonne is just 20 miles west of me. I've spent my time in the field mostly south and/or east of here: I'd better make a scouting expedition over to the west and see if there are some bunnies. And anytime you think you'd like to come along just give a shout and we can make it happen.
FWiedner wrote: We used to soak them in salt-water or a light wine for a day or so to get rid of the gameiness, and then she'd stew the meat in a hasenpfeffer.
piller wrote:Soaking them in buttermilk for 24 hours and then stewing them was a way to make them edible.
I have to admit I never did anything but fry 'em up like you'd fry chicken. I can see jack rabbit deserves another try with a little more preparation time allowed.

OK Bill, if we can find jackrabbit I'm ready to give it another taste, using a more creative recipe.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Years ago, I won $20. for my chili entry at the VFW in Rapid City, South Dakota. One guy asked me for my secret. I told him it was "Jack." He assumed I meant Jack Daniels but I meant Jack Rabbit. YUM!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Chili was a recipe that was originally concocted to cover the taste of meat that was on the edge of going rancid.

While jackrabbit can be prepared to attenuate it's natural flavor, chili might be the perfect dish for 'fresh' jack.

I've got to try it.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have killed hundreds of jackrabbits from the time I was 13 till now, I'm 67. My buddy years ago decided to cook a jack one night at our camp. I ate cottontail myself. He vomited all night and thought he was going to die. to this day all I have to say is "you want to try a little jackrabbit tonight" and it starts all over again. You may have a special way to cook it but you can have that greasy, stringy, mess all you want. You will not have to worry about me taking away any of your share or mine. You can have it all. :roll: RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I have never met a greasy jackrabbit. :)

They have to be cooked in a liquid or sauce or they are to dry for me.

Have fun-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I have eaten jacks but admit I prefer the younger ones. A lot seems to depend on what they have been eating, just like deer. When I lived in Oregon a friend gave me some jackrabbit salami and it was good.