Colt 45 and 235 grain bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Colt 45 and 235 grain bullet

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Good Day Folks;

I am considering casting some bullets for my 45colt Winchester 94 with a mold from Magma that casts a 235 grain bullet.
The mold is 45 - 235-RNFP flat base.
Does anyone here have any experience shooting this bullet ?
I personally have never shot anything lighter than 250 grains in my Gun but I kind of like the look of this bullet and its flat base.

Respectfully
Doc.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt 45 and 235 grain bullet

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I don`t know about Magma`s bullets but I shoot a lot of RCBS`s .45-230-CA
bullets that would be very close in profile.
I use them for CAS and they feed in my Marlin Cowboy just slick as snot.
My Vaquaros also eat them with vigor.
I also use them in my Ruger SR 1911 as a target /plinking bullet.
They feed without a hitch in the 1911 and with only a trace of leading that
cleans out easily.
Have fun!
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Thank-you for the reply. I was wanting to use this bullet for both plinking and hunting. In your opinion is the 235 grain bullet a suitable hunting weight for the 45 Colt ?
My load data for this weight is also a bit thin. My favorite powders in the 45 Colt are Red Dot and Power Pistol.
Any help here would be appreciated.

Respectfully
Doc
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I do not own, nor have ever fired a rifle chambered for 45 Colt and don't get excited by the idea. But I have fired many thousand #452423 (235 - 245 grains depending on the alloy) in many sixguns chambered for 45 Colt.

This lighter bullet does well out to 100 yard, but beyond that, the short stubby bullets sheds velocity very quick. Beyond a hundred, a fellow really needs a longer/heavier bullet.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For my CAS ammo I've used a 225grain pill out of an RCBS mold (45-225-CAV) It's a single lube groove (fairly wide so carries lots of lube), truncated cone with a flat base. I cast them fairly hard (~18 Bhn) and can push them up into the 45Colt +P range in my Rossi mdl 1892 rifle. I seldom keep any loaded that hot, as I don't want any chance of them getting mixed in with my CAS ammo for use in my toggle link rifles or Colt revolvers.

With a good lube, you shouldn't have any trouble pushing a 235 grain hard cast (15-18 Bhn) bullet up into the +P .45 Colt velocity range. I think you'd be in high cotton if you used the .45Colt Ruger, Freedom Arm or T/C load data. Start off around the minimum loads and keep your velocity below 1400fps to avoid leading.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

I agree to keep them under 1400 fps to reduce leading. I'm thinking on 7.5 grains of Red Dot or 11 grains of Power Pistol should
be almost maximum.
I'm counting on good things with this flat base to seal up the bore. It seems flat base bullets are becoming less and less in molds and by commercial casters. I cannot see 15 grains of bullet versus my 250's making too much difference if I were to use this bullet on Deer or Black Bear.
Respectfully
Doc.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My Marlin Cowboy 24" .45 Colt is a great little rifle and quite accurate.
I would not hesitate to hunt Deer with it and any load using Bullets in the
225 and up range, cast hard enough to not lead and pushed to good velocity.
They will get the job done.
Here is a sample , 250 gr. PB at 50yd.
Have fun!