RE: Blackhawk rear sight / holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

RE: Blackhawk rear sight / holster

Post by kmittleman »

Hi All,

I just got a cross draw holster for my .45 BH and noticed that when in the holster, the rear sight gets depressed. Do you think this will affect the sight / accuracy? Is it bad for the sight to be pushed up and down like that?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: RE: Blackhawk rear sight / holster

Post by AJMD429 »

I have had that happen and maybe I was wrong, but I believe it did allow the sight to change elevation, by taking off the tension that keeps the 'detent' able to impede turning of the elevation screw. I wound up cutting out that area of the holster, but it was irritating to have to do that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I also cut a relief for the sight into a commercial holster, before I started making my own.

If you do likewise, I would suggest burnishing (rubbing rapidly with a smooth tool like a toothbrush handle) the newly-cut, raw edge, with a bit of eggwhite applied to the raw edge before starting.

The eggwhite is burnt by the act of burnishing, sealing the edge and imparting a dark brown color on the edge.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have also had a Ruger that the holster pushed the rear sight down and it allowed for the elevation screw to occasionally move. I had to remove part of the holster to fix the problem. I used an XACTO knife to do the cutting since they are very sharp and easy to control with that little thin blade. I was willing to make about 10 cuts just to make it right rather than trying to do it in one step.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Some holster makers sew a small patch of heavy leather in the front of the holster to keep the actual sight blade from hitting the holster. Lawrence was one of them. I've had the elevation screw come completely out once with a cheap holster (Hunter brand), fortunately I found it in the bottom of the holster. Was out in the mountains camping for a long period when a kid. Glad I didnt lose the screw.

The sight guard will also keep the holster from wearing the sights blueing off, and eventually rounding off the edges.

Theres a lot of poorly designed holsters in the world. I think many are built/designed by people that never actually carry a gun, and therefore have no idea what's really important.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses. You pretty much confirmed what I thought so I returned the holster and ordered a new one where the rear sight should sit outside of the holster itself. The idea of have the sights constantly messed up will drive me nuts thinking about it.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Holsters CAN have a protective cover over the sight without bearing hard on it.
These holsters I made have a molded tab that protects but don`t bear on the rear sight.
I hope you find just the one you want.