What do you want a self defense round to do?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

What do you want a self defense round to do?

Post by Old Savage »

What do you consider adequate?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you want a self defense round to do?

Post by pwl44m »

Dead !! and I am sure that is what She intended.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Phaser set on #10 to atomize the threat and leave nothing behind.

Seriously ... stop the threat with minimal rounds expended. That way if there are multiple threats you can still come out alive.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

9mm, good 124/127 HP, preferably +P. Sometimes I carry a .40 (issue) or .45 pistol, but with the 9mm ammo I have, it suits me.

38 Spl, 158 gr Lead hollowpoint +P, or 135 gr. Gold Dot. In a revolver, given the option, I'd rather have a .357 or bigger with 125-145 magnum loads

12 ga, OO buck if not a standard type deer slug
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Maximun expansion with 100% penetration. I want 2 large holes to let the "go juice" out.

Chris
Last edited by Chris83716 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I want them to put the bad guy down in a quick hurry. That is why the gun I have on hold is in 45 acp.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

JReed wrote:I want them to put the bad guy down in a quick hurry. That is why the gun I have on hold is in 45 acp.
Yep. 45ACP +P HP's.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:I want them to put the bad guy down in a quick hurry. That is why the gun I have on hold is in 45 acp.
Yep, 5 of 'em in my safe. Heard a noise in the garage a little while ago... grabbed up the .45 Combat Commander. The UPS guy with the wrong address again! Nice thing about a short arm... they can be hidden behind you in situations where you don't NEED to intimidate the fellar.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Go bang every time. Hit where I point. Disrupt central nervous system quickly.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

STOP THE THREAT
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not PC but DRT!
I have a G19 & a G21 on my nightstand w/ Surefire lights and spare mags for both. Next to that is a Mossberg 930 with a bandoleer of 00 at it's foot. What am I afraid of? Nothing! I live in a great neighborhood but had some gang banger/ dealers next door for @ three years. They've moved on. they thought I was "crazy"! :D Walking around the yard w/ an AK over your shoulder will do that. :D

That Gal in the news with the .38 SPL was an inspiration! but I'm sure she was scared out of her wits and
a little more training and perhaps a larger cal.( or a 9mm auto) would have put that dirt bag down w/o the lawsuits that will follow.
(don't flame me, just being pragmatic).

I've begged my Mrs. to learn how to shoot just one gun and know where it is if something bad happens.
The biggest fight we ever had was when I asked her when a guy my size( 6'2" and 265#s) comes through the door and I'm not home, "What are you going to do?" She had no answer other than calling the PD or hitting the alarm. Gee, they're just minutes away, what are you going to do until they get here? Again no answer, she's all of 110#s if that.
Finally got her to agree to learn how to safely use one of my revolvers. I may upgrade that to a Mossberg 410, she seemed to like the one my Mom has.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

sit in my seecamp for the rest of it's life. it's the last thing i want to have to use.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You do not want Blondie in that position at all.
I am at a loss as how to procede!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I want it to immediately and decisively STOP whoever/whatever I had to shoot from doing whatever it was I had to shoot him/it for...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Penetrate and expand, the rest is up to the shooter.
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ideal goal for an adequate self defense round:
To instantly convert a vertical deadly assailant into a horizontal stationary penitent.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I want it to function as designed to incapacitate or end that threat which might demand it's use.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You essentially want him to change his mind about being in your house.

I heard if you put a 158 grain slug in someone's medulla oblongata, it rings their bell.

Seriously, I think OS is looking for technical attributes.

- transfer of energy
- penetration
- expansion
- hydraulic shock
- blood loss
- wound channel

I think that you want a "shock and awe" hit more than worrying about blood loss or even penetration. Maybe that's why self-defense loads for .357 are 125 grain. Lots of velocity, all energy transfers to the subject, the bullet doesn't punch through. Bullet pancakes and fragments and stays inside him. He's disabled and wetting himself, unable to continue an attack.

Penetration is not such a great idea, you'd hate to shoot a perp with a 180 (still thinking .357) and have it go through him, two walls and your wife or kid. And it might not disable him if it passed right through without expanding - which it might if it's going slow enough.

In other words, think the opposite of a hunting round. You want disabling shock and pain, not a blood trail.

Another example of a self defense round is Glaser slug, made to fragment.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Everyone called the bad guy "he" and most assumptions were that the bad guy would be in your house. I'd like my bullet to make it across McDonalds from the dining area to the counter, penetrate the back of her wheelchair and enter and expand in her body to turn her lights out and then exit and bounce harmlessly off the counter. All this without blinding me or deafening me and while cycling my handgun so it is ready for another shot should her sister decide to become a threat.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

25 or 32 auto. If they are good enough for the inner cities, they are good enough for me. :D

On another note, 158 grain/38 cal or more. I want the bullet to stop the fight.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I want my SD ammo to stop whatever my target is doing, right now! I have 2 SD loads (and no I don't want to hear about getting sued/prosecuted for using "killer ammo"). For my house gun, 2" .38 (and my carry gun), I use 150 gr. wadcutters over a stiff load of W231, and my 45 ACP uses 230 gr LRN over a bunch of Unique.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I want to stop the threat. Now stop means different things to different people. For some, including the old M&S study, that means on the ground "physically" incapacitated. I'm not sure I would go that far. Some BG's will stop at the sight of a gun, some at the sound of the gun, some with fairly minor wounds regardless of caliber, some with major wounds regardless of caliber. I deem all of those as "mentally" incapacitated. Stop may mean fallin over or tossing hands in the air or running for home, it can be performed with any gun firing any cartridge including the lowly .22lr and .25acp. and is the result the vast majority of the time. Thank god people aren't nearly as mentally tough as most of the other critters that walk this earth. Don't get me wrong, there are times when a BG just ain't gonna quit unless he is physically unable to continue. For those I want a true manstopper. But to me stop doesn't mean DRT. It means anywhere from I give up to DRT and anything in between.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Stop the threat whatever it may be.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I don't believe it's a very good idea to go by the lowest common denominator, i.e. a coward who just wants to rob you. Pulling a gun should suffice for that situation, anyway, and no tragic loss of life or limb ensues. It seems to me that the use of a small caliber (to stop an assailant in his tracks) would require that you make a 100% vital (mortal) shot, such as the bridge of the nose, which is difficult outside a stationary target range. James Bond and apparently less fictional British spies had a .32; but James Bond and his ilk didn't leave their targets in any condition where they could be interviewed by the police and jailed.

The trouble is with those who attack at even the sight of a gun. Many assailants now, at least on the West Coast, are high on meth or other drugs that dull their consciousness, remove their empathy, repress pain, and in effect make them impervious to simple intimidation tactics or bee sting hits.

If one really has to defend their life or that of others - thus justifying deadly force - then their bite had better equal their bark, or they face more grievous consequences. Thus the quoted "M&S" studies that talk about literally stopping the attacker in his/her tracks.

My reasoning - vertical to horizontal, and right now, is the requirement I make of my self-defense weapon system and loads. Extreme expanding medium caliber hollow points (e.g. .357 125 grain HP's, a proven stopper), or easier to manage rounds that are easier on the eardrums and eyes at night, my prime choice. One wants to see and hear what is going on after the first shot. Large caliber hollowpoints (.45 ACP HP's) or even large caliber slower solids with soft lead (.45 Colt) top my list. The snappy, loud but effective .40 S&W is a second best choice in my book.

One can bemoan that there is no "silver bullet" that always works; but the Federal HST 230 grainer in .45 ACP still is my utmost favorite for home and urban self-defense for all of the reasons above, and one or two more - like reliable penetration even through light furniture (cover) or heavy clothing if necessary, plus the quick follow-up shots of a semi-auto. Very few can be the Lone Ranger under the stress of true deadly attack.

Vertical to horizontal. But if laws or circumstance restrict the availability of decent armaments, remember that David slew Goliath with a pebble or two. Just remember that he prayed.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

I do not have a pistol permit, so my home defense choices were fairly limited.
Ultimately purchased a Mossberg 500 pistol grip. The tube holds 5. First 2 are #4 shot, and final 3 are 00 buck.
If that doesn't ruin the bad guys day....God help me
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Kill the two legged varmint I am aiming at with a well placed shot and not blind me with mussel blast. Also I don't want the bullet to go through walls and hurt some unintended victim. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Scare the bad guy away. Let the Police handle the rest.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Basically I want a round that with a reasonably well placed shot(stop the threat)
I want a weapon and round that has evolved to match our ever changing enviroment we live in.

Want it(the weapon)very light/easily carried/fast follow up shots/and accurate.
I want both the handgun/long gun to be effective out to at least 75yds

With now being a new trend(bad guys using BP vests)I want the gun to penetrate the vest and stop the threat.
I know with a bullet not penetrating a vest you still have energy upset to the perp(but,I still feel in my mind----ain't cutting it)

With the tests I have seen(at our club)using a few vests the 10mm(6")handgun or the .40S&W(carbine)has did what needs doing.
WITH THE CORRECT AMMO---------------meaning UNDERWOOD HOT AMMO

Talking from many old timers that served in WW2 (some my own relatives)it sticks in my mind two things most always said regarding the .45ACP(at war)

1-------------you were lucky if you could hit the side of a barn with one
2-------------with the FMJ they would get shot-----and keep on coming(I know many have heard diiferent)just telling what sticks in my mind by many(directly coming from them)when they got knocked down(they would get back up unless head shot)
So although even if a .45ACP FMJ might penetrate what I want it to penetrate---(I want the perp down,not needing added rds)
Though even with the FMJ-----------ones we seen on a vest----------????????????????

Now----I am by no means any type expert on this stuff------I can only go by what I am told by people I know and trust and also events we have used the different calibers on shooting different things at different type conditions.

At this present time(subject to change if required)my two favorite SD weapons are as follows----------------

Glock 20(10mm)6" Lone Wolf barrel/22lb spring loaded with either the Underwood 135gr@1730fps or Underwood 180gr@1450fps

Kel-Tec Sub2000-----16" barrel .40S&W using the Underwood 135gr@1700fps (actually we were getting 1670-1730fps)so I use 1700fps as the rule

What was interesting was though the higher velocities in Gel blocks though creating massive wound channels did not go as deeply as say the slower 180gr 10mm ammo-----in the vests---------------------high velocity seemed to be a key element to it going threw
Once the velocity exceeded 1550fps in the 135gr and 1400fps in the 180gr things were noticeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JghPfvf2WDc

Just my thoughts so only take it as such!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mescalero wrote:You do not want Blondie in that position at all.
I am at a loss as how to procede!

"we're in negotiations". She tolerates my obsession but has a burr under her saddle about guns due to her first husband's
blatant overspending on firearms and other "toys". I'm not like that, I buy my stuff with money I make outside of the
family budget. Side jobs and other wheeling and dealing. I've got one now from hurricane Sandy that's going to net me
enough to buy that Shiloh Sharps I've always wanted and then some.

She can handle my S&W Victory model (Model 10) fine but I'd feel better if she had the Mossberg 410 HS I got my Mom
or even the little Bantam model. Filled full of 00 HD or the Winchester PDX loads I'm sure She'd be fine.
Best part is she's rarely alone, stepson number one is almost always home. He is handicapped but is deadly with his .22 Savage. Kid number two has a Stevens 12 Ga. Pump and a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. He can hit the 200 yd. Ram 9 out of ten times with open sights!

all that is backed up by an electronic alarm, one Rat Terrier, one Jack Russell, A black Lab and a Great Dane. :D

All that goes off and the Big Dog (Me) gets to play! :twisted:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

tman wrote:Scare the bad guy away. Let the Police handle the rest.
Massad Ayoob would be proud of you... :mrgreen:

I think the OP was intending to discuss the 'what if' scenario where terminal ballistics came in to play, however... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

To be clear - I think the performance standard should be to drop the intruder in one or two shots.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Old Savage wrote:To be clear - I think the performance standard should be to drop the intruder in one or two shots.
well then I think .357 magnum is your axe...it is the leader in one-shot stops in police use. Even 44 mag had a lower rate of one shot stops.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

IMHO the 357 Mag muzzle blast, wall penetration and flash would keep me from wanting it to be my first choice for HOME self defence. I want to be able to hear, see, and not be worried as much about innocent people in the house If I am in a shoot out with the intruder. Just my two cents, RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They need to go off every time I pull the trigger and make big holes,
preferably two per shot.
I have always been in the heavy and slow school of thought when it
comes to stopping power.
:wink:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If I can walk away unscathed and the other guy is on the ground/floor waiting for the first responders to show up, the caliber was adequate.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

It is interesting that this thread should appear as tonight's news covers an attempted murder/robbery of two pharmacy owners in my area by two gang members. They came in through a back door, and one of the two entered shooting and managed to hit an 80 plus year old lady co-owner in her leg. Her son fired his CCW licensed .45 ACP pistol, hitting the thug, who fell to the floor.* He then managed to crawl out of the store. He made it a few blocks away where he was found, and expired in the hospital - less than 1/4 mile away.
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?secti ... id=8948286

* A good application of vertical to horizontal

Had the storeowner not used an authoritative caliber, the thug would likely not have stopped his advance and then expired two blocks away; instead (as the Police Chief concurred), the robbers had intended to kill both pharmacy owners. The dead man had previously robbed an elderly lady in Fresno in an armed home invasion robbery, although he had left her alive.

What is not in the above link: The second person, also a gang member, has just been arrested by City of Madera Police officers.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

rangerider7 wrote:IMHO the 357 Mag muzzle blast, wall penetration and flash would keep me from wanting it to be my first choice for HOME self defence. I want to be able to hear, see, and not be worried as much about innocent people in the house If I am in a shoot out with the intruder. Just my two cents, RR7

I'm with you there, just noting the stats. I just bought a .357 handgun but it will not have full power loads. Follow up shots and control are important, too. I will work up a nice load and stick with that.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ventilate.....
and when the wind blows...
said criminal,....... will whistle....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Preferably One hole in , one hole out, proper application and no need for second application.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

FINALLY, a short article in the NRA's "American Rifleman" magazine, April 2013; "The Armed Citizen":

Bryan Lee, owner of the Almond Avenue Pharmacy, had no choice but to fire his .45-cal. pistol when a 31-year-old male entered his store firing a similar model. The gunman entered the store and immediately fired multiple rounds striking Lee’s mother, Sophie Lee, in the leg. Bryan Lee returned fire, causing the man to flee. He collapsed a block away and later died at a local hospital. Lee was unharmed and his mother was expected to make a quick recovery. Lee said, “We just did what we had to do to survive.” (The Fresno Bee, Madera, CA, 1/11/13)

Man, did they leave out a lot - the guy was wanted for other home invasions; he was a verified gang member; he had a driver; and the gang member driver was arrested - all per the local news coverage. And on the human interest side - his mother is 90 years old; and he is an NRA certified marksman and veteran. Good stuff that they completely missed!

That means, under California law, the other guy's career is ended, too. Since he was involved, he is guilty of murder because he committed a felony in which somebody died as a result of the crime. And I think a third person was identified - there was a driver, a partner who came in behind the shooter, and the deceased.

I guess that is a lesson for me to submit the news of this type so that the gun control issue can be addressed with more positive rebuttals. If the store owner had not been armed, two innocent people would be dead and at least two hardened criminals would have been emboldened to continue their reign of robbery and cold-blooded murder.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

2ndovc wrote:Not PC but DRT!
I have a G19 & a G21 on my nightstand w/ Surefire lights and spare mags for both. Next to that is a Mossberg 930 with a bandoleer of 00 at it's foot. What am I afraid of? Nothing! I live in a great neighborhood but had some gang banger/ dealers next door for @ three years. They've moved on. they thought I was "crazy"! :D Walking around the yard w/ an AK over your shoulder will do that. :D

That Gal in the news with the .38 SPL was an inspiration! but I'm sure she was scared out of her wits and
a little more training and perhaps a larger cal.( or a 9mm auto) would have put that dirt bag down w/o the lawsuits that will follow.
(don't flame me, just being pragmatic).

I've begged my Mrs. to learn how to shoot just one gun and know where it is if something bad happens.
The biggest fight we ever had was when I asked her when a guy my size( 6'2" and 265#s) comes through the door and I'm not home, "What are you going to do?" She had no answer other than calling the PD or hitting the alarm. Gee, they're just minutes away, what are you going to do until they get here? Again no answer, she's all of 110#s if that.
Finally got her to agree to learn how to safely use one of my revolvers. I may upgrade that to a Mossberg 410, she seemed to like the one my Mom has.

jb 8)
+1 on the .410, with 3" #4shot, PDX1, 4Buck or 000Buck.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tycer wrote:Go bang every time. Hit where I point. Disrupt central nervous system quickly.
This. Nothing more.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

[quote="86er"]Everyone called the bad guy "he" and most assumptions were that the bad guy would be in your house. I'd like my bullet to make it across McDonalds from the dining area to the counter, penetrate the back of her wheelchair and enter and expand in her body to turn her lights out and then exit and bounce harmlessly off the counter. All this without blinding me or deafening me and while cycling my handgun so it is ready for another shot should her sister decide to become a threat.[/quote]

86er, I am in awe.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

What I DON'T want it to do is go through my intended victim only to keep on cruising until it hurts or kills someone else! Some of the weapons/ammo I hear of people using for "home defense" leaves me pretty glad I (hopefully) don't live next to them.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

olyinaz wrote:What I DON'T want it to do is go through my intended victim only to keep on cruising until it hurts or kills someone else! Some of the weapons/ammo I hear of people using for "home defense" leaves me pretty glad I (hopefully) don't live next to them.
I agree, hopefully it will enter the assailant through the solar plexus, expand, puncture the aorta and lodge in the spine, without a whole lot of flash and bang.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

COSteve wrote:Honestly, I'd like it to reside safely in my firearm, ready for use but never actually used. The responsibility of taking a life changes you and not for the better . . . . .
Broad brush. Depends on the circumstances.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

The old 38 Special has put a lot of bad guys under the ground. Modern +P rounds are effective.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!