The Man of the Forest Zane Grey Download

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

The Man of the Forest Zane Grey Download

Post by JohndeFresno »

Here's a searchable download (PDF) file: Zane Grey's "Man of the Forest." I don't think that this excellent tale is frequently seen in the free downloads.

A solitary hunter ends up coming to the aid of a frontier lady in distress...
This is a big file, so it takes a bit to download; 70 MB in size.
https://www.box.com/s/yto96gcdc1gbh1mjpp67

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season!

John
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Re: The Man of the Forest Zane Grey Download

Post by samb »

Wonderful read, I read this about a year ago.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks John! :D
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

You're welcome!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Thanks John
downloading it now
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

There are about 28 Zane Grey's on gutenberg.org, free downloads in a variety of formats.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

92&94 wrote:There are about 28 Zane Grey's on gutenberg.org, free downloads in a variety of formats.
Indeed, 92&94.

If one has an e-book (like the Kindle), they can download and use them for free, here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3457

I converted this particular book was made into a searchable pdf file, so that you can read it on any computer and skip to any part of the book if you remember a particular character's name, group of words or phrase. I could not find it in pdf at Gutenberg, so I converted it from an epub file.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

JohndeFresno wrote: I converted this particular book was made into a searchable pdf file, so that you can read it on any computer and skip to any part of the book if you remember a particular character's name, group of words or phrase. I could not find it in pdf at Gutenberg, so I converted it from an epub file.
Aha... I hadn't figured out that's where you got it :mrgreen: Nice to see any way you cut it.

I tend to find the e-book format a bit easier than a pdf or text, but then my OS came with an e-book reader so there is no scrolling required.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Anyone ever spend any time in the area he based this book on?

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I can't help you out, J35nut.

But as for the reader, if you "Google" with the word "Calibre" you should quickly find a link to the excellent, donation supported Calibre e-reader and converter site. I downloaded Calibre a long time ago, and use it extensively. To be fair, I occasionally donate to the site so that the updates keep coming and the hard-working developer gets his due.

I agree that pdf's are nowhere as slick as the original epub or mobi or whatever file works on your electronic reader; but they are portable and shareable to everybody with a 'puter.

But for those of you who are comfortable with downloading and installing software (some here are not), Calibre is the way to go. Then, I agree that among the many sites on the Internet, www.gutenberg.org and www.gutenberg.net.au seem to be the most comprehensive ones for obtaining FREE downloads of various books that are now in the public domain.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

JohndeFresno wrote:I can't help you out, J35nut.

But as for the reader, if you "Google" with the word "Calibre" you should quickly find a link to the excellent, donation supported Calibre e-reader and converter site. I downloaded Calibre a long time ago, and use it extensively. To be fair, I occasionally donate to the site so that the updates keep coming and the hard-working developer gets his due.

I agree that pdf's are nowhere as slick as the original epub or mobi or whatever file works on your electronic reader; but they are portable and shareable to everybody with a 'puter.

But for those of you who are comfortable with downloading and installing software (some here are not), Calibre is the way to go. Then, I agree that among the many sites on the Internet, http://www.gutenberg.org and http://www.gutenberg.net.au seem to be the most comprehensive ones for obtaining FREE downloads of various books that are now in the public domain.
I was just looking for someone to compare notes with.

For those that don't know the place's Zane Grey talks about in this story are real the names have been altered a bit-- Show Down in real life is Show Low, AZ, Snow Drop is Snow Flake, AZ and Pine is either Pinedale AZ or Alpine, AZ. Mt Baldy is real and just as special as he makes it out to be. It made me grin when he talked about Beech and Maple tree's in the canyon's, I guess that's part of the story being fiction and all. And as far I know sheep are still being grazed in the seneca's in the summer in that part of the world

I would rank this story fourth , with" Rainbow Trail" being 3rd and "Rider's of the Purple Sage" being 2nd and "Heritage of The Desert" being 1st of the Zane Grey books I have read and I guess "To the Last Man" being 5th all good reads for a home sick desert rat like me.

Thanks for the link---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

J35nut wrote:Anyone ever spend any time in the area he based this book on?

--J
I've driven US 60 a number of times, and US 191 once, but that doesn't really count as spending time :mrgreen:

Man, 191 between Springer and Morenci is not a road for a guy in a hurry! :mrgreen:
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

92&94 wrote:
J35nut wrote:Anyone ever spend any time in the area he based this book on?

--J
I've driven US 60 a number of times, and US 191 once, but that doesn't really count as spending time :mrgreen:

Man, 191 between Springer and Morenci is not a road for a guy in a hurry! :mrgreen:
I heard that! Hair pin city, good ole Coranado trail.

It's a neat drive from desert to fir and spruce forest, Hannagins Meadow is special if it is still there, I don't know if that big fire gobbled it up or not.

If you are in a hurry to get to Alpine, you can take 78 (Mule Creek) just below Clifton over to New Mexico 180 and run up to Luna and into Alpine it's farther but much faster.

I think everyone should have to drive it and Salt river canyon at least once.

__ J
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

J35nut wrote:It's a neat drive from desert to fir and spruce forest, Hannagins Meadow is special if it is still there, I don't know if that big fire gobbled it up or not.
Its still there, the burn areas I drove through last summer were north of Hannigan Meadow, if my memory is cooperating. By the time I was halfway down to Morenci I was so sick of that road that I may be mixing up details :mrgreen: Might have been a nicer trip if I'd stayed over a couple nights at the lodge and found somewhere to do some fishing.
J35nut wrote:If you are in a hurry to get to Alpine, you can take 78 (Mule Creek) just below Clifton over to New Mexico 180 and run up to Luna and into Alpine it's farther but much faster.
Yep, done that one too, except I came from NM on the little highway that goes through Reserve. That route only took a little longer than my usual and very boring freeway trips.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J35nut wrote: [First part snipped]
For those that don't know the place's Zane Grey talks about in this story are real the names have been altered a bit-- Show Down in real life is Show Low, AZ, Snow Drop is Snow Flake, AZ and Pine is either Pinedale AZ or Alpine, AZ. Mt Baldy is real and just as special as he makes it out to be. It made me grin when he talked about Beech and Maple tree's in the canyon's, I guess that's part of the story being fiction and all. And as far I know sheep are still being grazed in the seneca's in the summer in that part of the world

I would rank this story fourth , with" Rainbow Trail" being 3rd and "Rider's of the Purple Sage" being 2nd and "Heritage of The Desert" being 1st of the Zane Grey books I have read and I guess "To the Last Man" being 5th all good reads for a home sick desert rat like me.

Thanks for the link---J
Thanks for the above, J35nut. Saved to my "Read" file, because I'm starting a journey with Mr. Grey.

My father had a vacation cabin that I enjoyed as a pre-teen on the Rogue River in Oregon, the same as Mr. Grey (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey). He told me that he knew the author had fished the very same waters where we cast our lines from our rowboat, but that he would not have bothered to oar across the river to meet him. Dad had been told, by locals, that when he fished, Grey's henchmen were not so kind in the way that they bullied and chased away any fellow fishermen from the area. Although there was no Internet back then, this outstanding author was also known (according to my father) as a total scoundrel. The same is apparently true of many great artists, and it seems most of the Hollywood crowd (I used to live in the area of and go to school with the children whose parents were in the industry; Cheviot Hills in West Los Angeles). So I have to set that aside and just enjoy their handiwork.

As alluded to in the Wikipedia article, Grey was keen on researching the areas that he wrote about - the terrain, history, people, and culture. That effort translated in a large part into his outstanding stories.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

As alluded to in the Wikipedia article, Grey was keen on researching the areas that he wrote about - the terrain, history, people, and culture. That effort translated in a large part into his outstanding stories.[/quote]

I like to compare most of his stories to Light Rock or Elevator music in that they are easy reading or listening to me.

You can find some of his work here in audio book form, down load or listen online.

https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php ... ion=Search

--J
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Elmer Keith had nothing good to say about Zane Grey. Seems like Elmer guided him on a hunt and Grey stiffed him out of his guide fee.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

J35nut wrote:...You can find some of his work here in audio book form, down load or listen online.
https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php ... =Search--J
Super cool, J35! Just checked it out. Thank you.