375 to 307 conversion parts needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

375 to 307 conversion parts needed

Post by handirifle »

Sometime back I started a discussion about necessary parts to convert a 94 BB from 375 to 307. I got the barrel, but some other parts were mentioned, and I have had a boatload of things to clear up before getting to this project, and lost track of what else was needed. Anyone know off the top (or elsewhere :D ) of their heads what I might need. A 308 case I used to test, would not feed from the mag.

Due to shoulder surgery, I still cannot do the swap yet (4 more weeks in a sling), but I can now order parts at least.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 375 to 307 conversion parts needed

Post by elmo123 »

How old is your 375? If it is a pre-USRA the 307 barrel probably wont fit. If it is a newer rilfe you will need both cartridge guides.
I bought a newer 375 barrel from Numrich a few years ago and it was larger in diameter than my 1978 bb94.

Mike
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

The barrel designed for an AE will have different extractor cut compared to the one for a top eject 94BB. I had read that the threads were different too between the two 94BB models. I have a top eject and an AE in 375 and the external barrel diameter at the breech end is the same but the AE has a much larger muzzle diameter(and its about 1/2 lb heavier).
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the matter of the shoulder - estimate of recovery/rehab?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

JFE wrote:The barrel designed for an AE will have different extractor cut compared to the one for a top eject 94BB. I had read that the threads were different too between the two 94BB models. I have a top eject and an AE in 375 and the external barrel diameter at the breech end is the same but the AE has a much larger muzzle diameter(and its about 1/2 lb heavier).

Well stuff. Now I hear this. I bought the barrel, based on opinions I got from here and Marlinowners, saying they fit. Mine is a top eject 94BB. No safety except half cock feature. The extractor cut I knew about, and am not too worried about it, but threads are another issue. I hope you are wrong.

OS
The surgery was 2.5 weeks ago, and I am in a sling that holds my arm against a pillow that is held against my body. Two more weeks with this then I lose the pillow, then hopefully just 2 more weeks in the sling after that.

I start physical therapy on 12/27.

The surgery was to repair a torn rotator cuff, and to cut and re-attach the bicep tendon, that was no longer in the groove in the shoulder bone. This was all from about 35+ years ago, and the recent few years of building around here must have finished it off. No idea at this point to complete recovery, but am guessing 5-6 months. Right now my "work out" is lifting my arm to shoulder height, with the other arm, and bending at the waist, and letting it dangle from gravity. I am still NOT allowed to straighten the arm at the elbow.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

JFE

The muzzle of the 307 barrel I got is considerably larger than my 375, seems kinda backwards to me.

Elmo

I understand a larger dia outside, but are you saying it does not fit the receiver? I also read I would need the barrel band for front, but not sure what else. Forend maybe?
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I have never heard of the threads being smaller on the early big bores. I suspect Elmo is talking about the forend and bands not fitting the larger diameter barrel. Nothing a rat tail file and some sandpaper wouldn't fix.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The threads on the AE375 barrel were finer than the old 94 barrels and the diameter of the barrel was larger than my BB94. The barrel diameter of my BB94 is the same as my 94's in 30-30, 7-30 and 32 spl. The diameter can be overcome by a new forearm and barrel bands. The only way to tell if the threads are the same is to remove the barrel from your BB94. I can only assume they are different from the 30-30 barrels to prevent someone from installing a 375 barrel on a regular receiver. I had a 307 and it was a decent shooter but it was plagued by misfires due to the rebounding hammer. The velocity was OK but with the new LVR powder in the 30-30 the velocity is pretty close to what I was getting out of the 307. But I have rebarreled rifles just to have a different caliber to play with.

Merry Christmas to all,

Mike
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know I don't know if a guy that just had that surgery needs a 307 - I would be thinking more the 25-35. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

The bigbore threads are the same from top eject to angle eject. You need cartridge guides, barrel bands to fit the larger diameter barrel of the 307, and you will have to relieve the forearm of the 375 to fit the 307 barrel. You'll also have to cut a new extractor groove in the 307 barrel.

These are the things that I had to change when I converted one to 356.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Hammerman
thanks, hope you are right.

OS
I dont plan on shooting anything, even my 22's till summer. By the way, got to thinking, my shoulder is nothing comapred to your injuries. Hows that leg healing?

Merry Christmas to all fellow leverguners!