Waiting for the Winchester/Miroku 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NH Forester
Levergunner

Waiting for the Winchester/Miroku 71

Post by NH Forester »

I am getting tired of waiting so I called Winchester the other day.

I was told that the delay was due to Olin not having any ammo to test the rifles. Winchester/FN had to get someone else to make the ammo for the tests. I believe he said they had A Square make the ammo (I called with two kids running around the kitchen...).

True? I don't know. All I know is that I want a brand new Deluxe, tang safety or not..... I hope they make the attachment points and (doubtful but hoping) the swivels as original.

I was actually thinking of giving up and getting one of the new 94 Sporters. If they didn't have that "W" on the forend I would have one already. Then again, there's that darn safety..... $350 for Turnbull to make it go away but that gets them a whole lot closer to a good, used original in price.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Waiting for the Winchester/Miroku 71

Post by william iorg »

This picture is from Ammo One. Awhile back I bought several Proof rounds from them which are attributed to USRA and loaded by A-Square. I bought the 25-35, 307 and 356 rounds for my cartridge collection.

EDIT] Sorry, the 25-35 is Black Hills, the 307 and 356 were attributed to A-Square.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slim
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

He never said "Proof Loads" but I assumed that's what he meant when he said ammo to "test the rifles". I would love it if Winchester would release a real picture of the Deluxe.....
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I assumed Proof load. It surprised me when I read that USRA contracted out with several custom load firms for Proof loads. I would have assumed Winchester Ammunition would have produced Proof and regular ammunition for them. My understanding on the 25-35 is the rifles were not in production long enough to have an added run of standard ammunition. It does not seem reasonable that the Model 71 rifles could be produced with no ammunition available. Seems like they would coordinate a little closer with the ammunition side.
Slim
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

william iorg wrote:I assumed Proof load. It surprised me when I read that USRA contracted out with several custom load firms for Proof loads. I would have assumed Winchester Ammunition would have produced Proof and regular ammunition for them. My understanding on the 25-35 is the rifles were not in production long enough to have an added run of standard ammunition. It does not seem reasonable that the Model 71 rifles could be produced with no ammunition available. Seems like they would coordinate a little closer with the ammunition side.
I thought so as well but that was from Winchester Customer Service directly... Not that I've never been fed the wrong information by a well-meaning rep before...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yes, 348 Win ammo is pretty hard to get right now. I know where there is 3 boxes for sale, at a local gun shop. Old stock for $67 or so a box. I may go ahead and get it, just to add to my stock, as I only have a few boxes left, myself. Of course I could load me up some, but sometimes I like to just grab a box of factory 200 grain and go. Hopefully Winchester will make another run of the stuff before long, with new rifles coming out.
NRA Life Member, Patron
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

They dropped the Silvertip loading and are now loading a 200 grain Power-Point. I think they dropped all of the old Silvertip loads in the rifle calibers because none are listed.

I got tired of waiting and found a 71 made in 1955. This rifle had a recoil pad installed and it needs it. I tried 64 grains of H4350 and the 200 Hornady from the bench, I had a nice bruise that next day. The max load is 66 grains. A nice pleasant load is 52 grains of IMR4895, 2375 fps.

I am currently working up some cast loads just to save some money on factory bullets.
NH Forester
Levergunner

Post by NH Forester »

elmo123 wrote:They dropped the Silvertip loading and are now loading a 200 grain Power-Point. I think they dropped all of the old Silvertip loads in the rifle calibers because none are listed.

I got tired of waiting and found a 71 made in 1955. This rifle had a recoil pad installed and it needs it. I tried 64 grains of H4350 and the 200 Hornady from the bench, I had a nice bruise that next day. The max load is 66 grains. A nice pleasant load is 52 grains of IMR4895, 2375 fps.

I am currently working up some cast loads just to save some money on factory bullets.
I've only shot Barnes 250 grain Originals out of my M71's. They are accurate and seem to work well on game. 47 grains of 4895. Recoil is not unlike a 30-06 180 load in my estimation. I've never shot it without at least a heavy wool shirt though.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Here is a picture of the A-Square 356 Proof load with the 225-grain experimental 356 Winchester load and the 307 Proof load
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slim
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

my limited computer skills and attachments. Here is the second picture
Slim
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Surprised me also but yes, A2 was contracted to produce test ammo and do the testing for the 348. I can't imagine a company farming that out. Evidently even companies such as Winchester can be scammed by a good scammer and Alpin was one of the best (and one of the most abrasive). The A2 dissolution final auction ended two weeks ago.