OT- Any DVM's on board?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Any DVM's on board?

Post by Rusty »

My son is interested is seeking information in this field as a large animal vet. We were wondering about any suggestions.

Thanks,
Rusty <><
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hmmm. I always thought DMVs were the ones who made you stand in que for hours before taking your money then screwing up your Truck Title & License... :shock:

I think you mea DVM. :wink:

IMO: Find one, and volunteer to "work" for one. Best way to understand it is to do it/watch it being done. He can make connections and find out about schools too.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty most of the horse and cattle vets here went LSU.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Get in touch with an area veterinarian, and see if he can spend some time with them. Vet programs are hard to get in to, because lots of people want to do it (although I'm sure the interest fades for many once they see the long and challenging academics involved) and the income can be very spectacular if you work hard. The best way to be sure his interest is deep enough to stand the challenge is to get him working with a veterinarian, hands on.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Get in touch with an area veterinarian, and see if he can spend some time with them. Vet programs are hard to get in to, because lots of people want to do it (although I'm sure the interest fades for many once they see the long and challenging academics involved) and the income can be very spectacular if you work hard. The best way to be sure his interest is deep enough to stand the challenge is to get him working with a veterinarian, hands on.
+1

I read recently that many rural areas are short of veterinarians, so this may be a great future career. I'm encouraging my kids to think about this early. They enjoy animals, and would enjoy helping them. They are both smart. A veterinarian is a skill needed almost everywhere, and is thus quite mobile and flexible. Plus, I don't think we are going to socialize animal health care in their life-times - though I think we will for people health care (sorry AJMD429!)! :(

Perfect world (my vision) - my kids both get DVM degrees, marry people with DVM's, and all four open up their own practice! Mom and I will retire nearby and help them out. :D :D :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Dang I fixed it. I was in a hurry headed back to church when I wrote that first one. Sorry about that.

I've already told Jr. that he needs to offer volunteer services to a vet in the area some time for a day to see what it is they do.

He has been trying to follow the footsteps of an older cousin and become a union electrician but he says he hates it. So now he's ready to go to college. I figure, that's OK he got a cheap education in what it's like to work in a world without a college education so school doesn't seem all that bad after all.

I seem to remember hearing on the radio some time back that some places in like OK, or KS or someplace in the mid-west were so short on large animal vets that they were actually making deals with young folks that they would actually foot the bill for the VET school portion of the education if they would agree to settle there for a certain amount of time.

Thanks all,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

In Texas there is only one vet school, Texas A&M. According to the vet that's been in my little town for the last 35 years, most of the student slots are filling with high IQ gals wanting to be a city kitty doctor ($$ small animal vet) making it harder for a country boy that wants to service agriculture (large animal) to get in. He did say that if a prospective student will make a commitment to go large animal, scholarships are possible.

This is a real concern out in rural areas.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My (small animal) Vet went to school in Missouri. Can't remember which school - but he's also Large animal certified and does it on call.

Has your son had the "opportunity" to put on a pair of calving gloves and go retrieve a breech before (or after... bleah) it dies?

You don't need to be a vet for that. Just show up somewhere during calving time. "Good Training" that... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

just saw article on TV about hugh shortage of large animal vets because so many vets don't want to face the dangers of being a large animal vet and production work with small animals is so much more profitable, in the confines of your practice instead of in a muddy field, or dungy barn....NC State has vet school, our best friend went there first and then to Auburn. she has done both, but will tel you that you can usually see 3 or 4 small dogs in the time it takes for one large animal but she enjoyed getting out and doing both. good luck
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
PJA
Levergunner

Post by PJA »

The University of California at Davis has a well respected School of Veterinary Medicine. Years ago, when I was in high school, I worked for a small animal Vet who got his DVM at Colorado State at Ft. Collins.
Pete
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Mostly , Large animal vets, don't make near the money of a small animal vet.

That's why theres a shortage in rural areas, but they make a living, and like's been said, for a commitment, opportunities can probably be had.

On the plus side, the majority of vet students now are women (girls).
So if your son likes girls....with good jobs.... :wink:
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

hey, GCS, I like the way you think!
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

The CSU vet school is supposed to be a good one in Ft. Collins. I took some classes their pertaining to beef reproduction.
Your'e right about the shortage. Ranchers have to do a lot of this stuff for themselves around here. We have a good vet, but he's stretched pretty thin. He does have a younger lady vet that just came here. She's plenty smart, just needs some more experience. No substitute for experience.
I hear of the shortages for large animal vets all the time. We've had a few come and go. They usually do leave for the dog/cat clinics. Lot's easier than getting tromped by stressed out cows and horses.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Other good things -

They can live in rural areas where people don't mess with each other as much as in the city.
Nobody is surprised they often carry guns.
There is alot of 'barter' system available.
Your kids can work on your own animals whenever.

and...

Lots of ths stuff they can get is good for people, too.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

a good large animal vet in a rural area is one of the most respected people in the community, and the barter system is certainly viable, as well as the cash system of payment. Our best friend was raised on a big farm and when she first strted doing some large animal work,espicially on cows and horse some of the farmers were skeptical because she was a woman, that is until she bit off a chaw of tabaccy with a couple of them. word got around and she had more than she could do.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Before getting involved in emergency medicine, I explored the options of either radiologic tech or veteranarian.

What I found out was hard to stomach being a 32 y/o dad and husband, who owns his home.

The only part-time program for vet sciences was in Cleveland. All of the others were FT and required pretty much 40 hrs/week. Worse, a vet tech is poorly compensated for their hard work to make a vet look good. Turnover is high.

Something to consider if your son can't do a FT program.

If he's young, then send him to LSU!
Ha ha.

Let him know he doesn't have to take a bunch of abuse though, and to keep his chin up until he finds a good practice to work at.
iowa45
Levergunner

Post by iowa45 »

I worked for a couple years as a large animal vet before I decided to move to town and have a more regular life. Most veterinarians will be happy to have a student work with them for a few days to get a feel of what the work is like. If he likes it he needs to understand that the academic training is extremely rigorous and it takes several years of dedication and self discipline to earn the degree.