Lead in ammo "very inert"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Lead in ammo "very inert"

Post by damienph »

From the February 2013 Guns Magazine. Pg 68

In a column by Emily Miller of the Washington Times last September 27th, research scientist Don Saba explained the difference between the lead in bullets and the lead in paint that is harmful to children. "The lead that is used in ammunition is metallic lead and is a very inert material that does not dissolve in water and is not absorbed by plants or animals," Dr. Saba said. "There is a tremendous toxicity difference between highly inert metallic lead used in ammunition and the highly toxic lead compounds used in legacy leaded paints." Dr. Saba noted that groups intent on banning traditional ammunition made from lead components are deliberately trying to confuse and scare the public into thinking they are the same. - Courtesy NSSF

Deliberately trying to confuse and scare the public? Hmm... You think?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lead in ammo "very inert"

Post by jeepnik »

Prior to the ban of lead ammo in many areas of California, this was brought up. It simply comes down to the old saying. Don't confuse me with the facts. Sadly most voters and legislators cast their votes based on emotion, not fact.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the info'

Most liberal voters are sucking off the govt. one way or another.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

except when it leaves the muzzle :twisted:

There's always a contingent trying to get shooting ranges closed down due to the lead in the ground, leaching into the water table, things like that.

However I read one report that lead gets coated with lead oxide which prevents any significant seepage from the interior of the bullet.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Just like lead shot on the lake bottom killing waterfowl. It's all about control.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JerryB wrote:Just like lead shot on the lake bottom killing waterfowl. It's all about control.
(Please don't smack me) I really thought that might be true..... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When the facts don't support your hypthesis, LIE!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I have heard that lead water pipes don't really poison anyone, after the inside of the pipe oxidizes.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

JerryB wrote:Just like lead shot on the lake bottom killing waterfowl. It's all about control.
The problem with lead shot was that dabbling ducks like mallards ingested the shot as they fed in marshes that had been hunted. This was an interesting link that discussed this subject.

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... stract.htm

Lead might be inert, but a friend of mine got lead poisoning from digging lead out at a local range and then smelting it. The Dr's figured it was either dust that he inhaled or he got it on his hands. He had evacuation fans installed when he was smelting, but didn't wear a mask when digging it out of the bullet traps.
Last edited by geobru on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Birds have gizzards that use grit to grind anything softer, including lead shot, into digestible powder.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Yes but it's also panic, from people who are just this side of hysterical all the time.

One radio host here was telling about a school's show and tell where the kids were supposed to bring in an element from the periodic table. One kid brought in a thermometer with mercury in it, and the school went on lockdown.

The mercury was still in the thermometer, but they still went crazy.

I remember rolling blobs of mercury around the table as a kid.
Last edited by El Chivo on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As I understand it, there was no vote when CA decided to close 1/3 of the state to lead bullets (at least I don't remember it being on any ballot). If I remember correctly, a group of tree huggers/buzzard lovers convinced the DFG to close the area where the buzzards live. No science, no study, just "save that regal bird from extinction at the hands of those dastardly hunters". And the DFG caved...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

The guy who got lead poisoning from digging bullets out of a berm makes the point that lead is still a toxic material. If we had a substitute that's as good I bet we'd all switch in a nano second without a complaint because it's about the perfection of the material to our uses and the low cost - not some innate love of lead. I just wish science would come up with that substitute, even if it means getting creative with something like a polymer compound with tungsten dust in it. Heck, I dunno - just think out of the box fer Pete's sake and give us an option!

It's not the bullet lying on/in the ground safely passing time that's the trouble, it's all the other things - bird gizzards, dissolving in acids, manipulation of soil that causes airborne lead dust to fly up etc. - that come back to haunt us over time because lead IS a toxic material. Hey, I hate to say it, but it IS and there's no way to get around that.

So my suggestion since we're not going to win this fight over the long haul is to get cracking on finding a substitute. It's like second hand smoke - no one has removed your right to smoke, they've simply said that they will not tolerate your smoke floating into their lungs because there's a small chance it can harm them. If we remove this hugely blown out of proportion threat to non-shooters it just gives them one less thing to b'tch and moan about regarding shooting and hunting.

My 2¢ and worth less since you didn't pay that. :wink:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The legitimate "environmental movement" is unfortunately discredited by the blatant distortion and out-and-out lying which some have stooped to in the name of "protecting the environment".

The same thing has happened to the legitimate concerns for children's safety, the legitimate concerns about poverty, violent crime, health-care costs, and so on - in each case, the government gets involved, with their raw-power and coersion, and the 'advocates' immediately start corrupting the legitimate cause to empower themselves or further their own agendas.

Then, if someone like us points out the falsehoods present in some aspects of the 'environmental movement', we're accused of "not caring about the environment". It isn't about who "cares more" about the environment; it's about actually protecting the environment, and most hunters are far more motivated to assure the long-term stability and protection of the environment than are the non-hunting folks, in general - the reason is because for hunter's, it's about protecting a lifestyle, whereas for many non-hunters, it's just a temporary fad taken on to adorn their self-image and impress their friends.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Don't confuse me with facts, it makes me feel better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

geobru wrote:The problem with lead shot was that dabbling ducks like mallards ingested the shot as they fed in marshes that had been hunted. This was an interesting link that discussed this subject.
Lead might be inert, but a friend of mine got lead poisoning from digging lead out at a local range and then smelting it. The Dr's figured it was either dust that he inhaled or he got it on his hands. He had evacuation fans installed when he was smelting, but didn't wear a mask when digging it out of the bullet traps.
Unless he didn't wash his hands before ingesting food, it was most likely the lead dust when collecting it, or the fumes when smelting. It's why when smelting or casting I do so in a well ventilated area. Among the tests my doc does annually is a lead level blood test. That doesn't fully protect me, but... it's a good indicator. And in 25+ years of casting, I've shown no change in my lead levels. I generally only cast when the ambient temps are moderate... mid-50s and above. I don't cast when it's much above 90º as who needs the extra heat in the barn! I keep to the moderate temps so that I can get good air circulation without affecting my pots too much.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

geobru wrote:
The problem with lead shot was that dabbling ducks like mallards ingested the shot as they fed in marshes that had been hunted. This was an interesting link that discussed this subject.

I am certainly all for enacting whatever legislation necessary to prevent dabbling ducks (heck, ALL waterfowl) from smelting lead and inhaling the fumes. Some species just need to be protected from themselves...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hagler wrote:Gents,

I have heard that lead water pipes don't really poison anyone, after the inside of the pipe oxidizes.

Shawn
Lead water pipes have carried our water for a long time - centuries maybe. The root word for "Plumbing" means "Lead" (Spanish for lead is plomb). Yet mankind didn't die off.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

How much lead is still in the soil at Civil War battle sites? Have there been any problems?

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm with Griff on this except I am much older, 73 and I've been casting for 50 years. At one point I had a Magma casting machine and a huge smelter, even worked for a commercial caster for a time. Had my lead levels tested a couple years ago and I am clean. I think it's all just a bunch of ________!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS