More (Sorry) Shiloh Ramblings....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

More (Sorry) Shiloh Ramblings....

Post by Blaine »

I notice that it is also available in 30-40 Gubment......Was that a chambering back in the day? Interesting, to say the least.....it would make a low cost plinker, and hunter out of it.. Lobbing cast 200s downrange would be a decent way to go shoot ..I'm not interested in the BP, traditional stuff too much, and my shoulder is getting more tender and achy as the weeks roll by. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: More (Sorry) Shiloh Ramblings....

Post by harry »

30-40 krag

Back in 1892 the US Army adopted its first bolt action service rifle and its first smokeless powder cartridge, the .30-40 Krag (.30 US Army). The rifle was a slightly modified version of the Danish 1892 Krag-Jorgensen infantry rifle.

Modern factory loads for the .30-40 are still available from Remington and Winchester, both with 180 grain bullets. Remington loads their pointed soft point Core-Lokt bullet and Winchester their reliable Power Point (soft point) bullet. Both have a MV of 2430 fps and muzzle energy (ME) of 2360 ft. lbs. At 200 yards the Remington figures show 2007 fps and 1610 ft. lbs.

According to the Sierra Reloading Manual, Second Edition their 180 grain bullets can be driven to a MV of 2300 fps and 2114 ft. lbs. of energy with 40.8 grains of IMR 4895, 41.9 grains of IMR 4064, or 42.4 grains of IMR 4320 powders. The trajectory figures for the Sierra Pro-Hunter spitzer bullet fired from a scoped rifle at 2300 fps look like this: +3.1" at 100 yards, 0 at 200 yards, and -12.19" at 300 yards. I would regard that as a good all-around load for a .30-40 rifle, for game ranging in size from deer to elk (approximately 100-500 pounds live weight).

The Sierra 200 grain GameKing boat tail spitzer bullet can be driven to a MV of 2200 fps with 2149 ft. lbs. of ME by 40.2 grains of IMR 4895, or 40.9 grains of IMR 4064 powders. The trajectory tables for this sleek bullet show that if zeroed at 200 yards it will strike +3.33" at 100 yards, 0 at 200 yards, and -12.64" at 300 yards. It would probably be a fine choice for elk or Scandinavian moose.
Last edited by harry on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Great cartridge. I have a couple rifles chambered in it. IMO, the Sharps is not that good of a platform for it. That tiny hole makes for a heavy rifle, no matter what shortcuts (short round or half round barrel). I went saddle rifle (26" HRHO) in 40 cal and it still came out heavier than I wanted to lug up and down mountains.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:I notice that it is also available in 30-40 Gubment......Was that a chambering back in the day? Interesting, to say the least.....it would make a low cost plinker, and hunter out of it.. Lobbing cast 200s downrange would be a decent way to go shoot ..I'm not interested in the BP, traditional stuff too much, and my shoulder is getting more tender and achy as the weeks roll by. :roll:
Since the .30 US hadn't been introduced when the Sharps factory closed it's doors, I wouldn't think so.

BTW, for those still on active duty: Shiloh Salute to Our Troops is a continuing program.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverluver wrote:Great cartridge. I have a couple rifles chambered in it. IMO, the Sharps is not that good of a platform for it. That tiny hole makes for a heavy rifle, no matter what shortcuts (short round or half round barrel). I went saddle rifle (26" HRHO) in 40 cal and it still came out heavier than I wanted to lug up and down mountains.
Have you seen where they have the plans for a 1877 now? Keeps a heavy barrel for the target shooters, but shaves weight off in different places to compensate. 38-55, and 405 as well as 45-70 are absolutely in the running.....I'm about half saved up for a nice one, and when I decide the particulars, I'll bite.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I still think the .40-70 is a great cartridge. Or .40-65 Win., even the .40-50 Sharps would make a great smokeless round. My .40-90 uses about the same charge of 5744 as recommended for .45-70s with equivalent bullet weights. Not a punishing recoil. Especially in a 12 lb 1 oz rifle!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My little old .30-30 handi rifle does a lot for me, but I have heard some are reaming them out to .30-40.
It sounds like what you're after is the Sharps though. How long is the wait now?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Bought an Uberti clone of a high wall in 30-30. Shot it with some 170 gr jacketed reloads and all were touching. Shows real promise for an accurate rifle. My intention is 180-200 gr cast load. Low cost/low recoil 200 yard plinker.

Don