New Pre 64 model 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

New Pre 64 model 94

Post by ethang »

Hi all,

I have had a Ranger for 15 or so years but I have never liked the cross bolt safety. I recently picked up a pre 64 at a gun show. It was drilled and tapped and came with a vintage Weaver scope but was a nice price and solid so I picked it up. The serial number is in the 1942-48 range so I am not sure exactly when it was made.

I have only had it to the range once. The rear sight was milled to clear the scope so a new one is on my agenda. It hits about 4-5 inches high at 50 yards with factory Remington ammo. I have already removed the scope and base and will get some plugs for the holes. The stock is tired and has the previous owners grandkids initials scraped into the stock. I hope to sand it and give it a nice oil finish over the winter.

Anyway, I can tell from cycling it that the fit of the action is much better then my Ranger model. Its not a collector but I hope to make it my shooter until a nicer one comes into the budget. These old rifles are addictive.

Any help on a replacement rear sight would be much appreciated.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Pre 64 model 94

Post by Canuck Bob »

If it is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight you might consider a Williams or Lyman sight. My pre64 94 has one and it is a dandy sight system.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Its not drilled for a peep or I would put one on. I was debating between a 69 with the stamped lifter that had a Williams peep on it, then I found this pre 64. I might still pick the 69 up as that one was a good price too and is my birth year.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bob has a very good idea, Ebay has lots of sights for 94s
how was that scope mounted?
old guns is a sickness with a cure of more guns as the only cure

And Welcome

ollogger
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Try the below, for the correct age of your pre-64/94. :wink:

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Don't know if You had an official Welcome back in 2010, if not "WELCOME" if so "WELCOME". I just got a sight off E-bay. When I get it I will post Pics. It is quite different than anything I have seen. Some will know it by sight but until then the suspense mounts. There are tons of Sights on E-bay, U just have to look.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

The scope was mounted with a Weaver base with four holes drilled and tapped. The only marks on it are "Weaver detachable side-1" . It almost looks like two of the holes have been stipped out and repaired as there is some raised metal that you can feel on those but not the other two holes.

I entered the serial number in the Savage 99 database that I got from this site and it shows no records are available from 42-48. My number is 1296XXX.
I checked Numrich but they seem to be sold out of sights. I will double check ebay or just put a Marbles sight on it. I just want a shooter. I picked up 30/30 dies and have saved/picked up brass. I hope to load up some soon.

The wood is in pretty good shape but is dry and has the intitials scratched into it. I am hoping some light sanding and either Tru-oil or Linseed will bring it back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Any Pics ?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Thanks for the welcome Perry. I have been lurking for several years but never had anything to post about until now. To make the proper introductions I have the Ranger, a Rossi 45 Colt and a Henry Frontier which is my favorite lever so far. I have several Ruger 45 Colts and a wonderful Single Six 32 mag that I am really fond of.

I have done the whole semi auto plastic/aluminum thing and still have a few more years to deal with them, but my first love was always cowboy guns. There is something special about a six gun and a lever action on a woods walk. I hope to spend more time with them in a few years when I retire.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, Bob's Gun Parts has several different Winchester rear bbl sights (there's pics on his sights page).

They don't answer the phone very well, since they're usually pretty busy, but will respond to a fax - I just send them an order, along with a M.O., and have never failed to get either what I wanted, or my money back.

http://www.gun-parts.com/sights/

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ethang wrote:The scope was mounted with a Weaver base with four holes drilled and tapped. The only marks on it are "Weaver detachable side-1" . It almost looks like two of the holes have been stipped out and repaired as there is some raised metal that you can feel on those but not the other two holes.

I entered the serial number in the Savage 99 database that I got from this site and it shows no records are available from 42-48. My number is 1296XXX.
I checked Numrich but they seem to be sold out of sights. I will double check ebay or just put a Marbles sight on it. I just want a shooter. I picked up 30/30 dies and have saved/picked up brass. I hope to load up some soon.

The wood is in pretty good shape but is dry and has the intitials scratched into it. I am hoping some light sanding and either Tru-oil or Linseed will bring it back.
The Weaver side mount should be the one that used existing threaded holes for mounting. Well, except on your gun which would have had to have had the rear two closely spaced 6-48 holes drilled and tapped. If it is the OTHER side mount... I'll just shut up. As to dating, when you take the forearm off, look at the bottom of the barrel for a 2-digit date.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Nope Hobie this one has four holes drilled. Thanks for the tip on the date code, I will look when I do the stock.

I got to the range with it today and it shoots really nice. I only shot at 50 but after I moved the insert in the rear sight down and gave it a couple taps to the right I got it dialed in. My eyes are not what they used to be but the old girl shot ten ring groups from hand held on the bench. It likes the 170's better then 150 it seems which is opposite of what my Ranger was. I am really looking forward to shooting this one a lot.

I will post up some pics when I get the chance. I am interested to learn more on the scope and the mount. They both look really old, not like some of the others I have seen on different rifles at the gun shops.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

ollogger wrote:Bob has a very good idea, Ebay has lots of sights for 94s
how was that scope mounted?
old guns is a sickness with a cure of more guns as the only cure

And Welcome -- ollogger
GREAT...i knew there was no actual cure... :)