Me in my 1940’s deer-hunting outfit...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Me in my 1940’s deer-hunting outfit...

Post by jackruff »

I often wear a red and black wool shirt with solid green wool pants, that is, when it's cold enough here close to the Gulf of Mexico. The two silliest things in outdoor wear are: a hunter in all camouflage with an orange vest and a hunter in all camouflage in a completely enclosed shooting house/blind. In my opinion, camouflage is hightly overrated, but, since Mossy Oak and RealTree pay for so much through their advertising, people think it is essential. An older hunter said it best: "Wear something dark, sit in the shade, and be still!"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

casastahle wrote:
jackruff wrote:I often wear a red and black wool shirt with solid green wool pants, that is, when it's cold enough here close to the Gulf of Mexico. The two silliest things in outdoor wear are: a hunter in all camouflage with an orange vest and a hunter in all camouflage in a completely enclosed shooting house/blind. In my opinion, camouflage is hightly overrated, but, since Mossy Oak and RealTree pay for so much through their advertising, people think it is essential. An older hunter said it best: "Wear something dark, sit in the shade, and be still!"

+1 Agree :wink:
Last day of season a buddy and me were sitting in lawn chairs hidden between some spruce trees along my field.
Nine deer all does came out 50 yards in front of us and grazed, never new we were there. One walked over within 8 feet of us and stood there looking at us. She looked a minute then turned and walked off back too the others.
We had no camo on, just sat motionless and were Down wind.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Once while deer hunting, with an orange vest on as required by state law, I leaned against a pine tree while a large flock of turkeys fed all around me. The orange didn't alarm them a bit. Just for the fun of it I waved a hand and watched them take off in all directions!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Casastahle, did you get a chance to hunt in your heavy woolens this fall? How did you do? I love my red and black checked Filson mackinaw, but would have to wear heavy long undies in order not to break out in a rash from that wool on my legs ...
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here in Canada years ago when hunter orange was first introduced a fellow was out hunting wearing a one piece pair of orange coveralls. He sat down on a log to have a sandwich and another hunter about 150 yards or more off saw him there all hunched over on the log and believe it or not thought someone had placed a pumpkin on a log .He decided to see if he could hit it with his rifle so he shot at it and hit the guy square in the back killing him.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Liking it! It's fun to replicate an era.
I went for an earlier 20s look with this outfit, Filson wool coat, riding pants, Bean knee-high boots, Stetson fedora:

I apologize if I posted it before. I just don't recomember.
8) But dump the pump and get an old Parker or Greener :wink:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Casa: That is awesome! It had to feel just great to be out in the woods in all that wool, and killing deer with a Model 99! I got blanked this year, but maybe if I had "wooled up" it would have been a different story.

:D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I had a set of woolriches along with a model 71 348 in a 1970 Grand Prix with a bitchin' fast 428 motor stolen from me in the late 1980's. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: