357 Max Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

357 Max Lever

Post by 3leggedturtle »

There is a discussion on the Castboolits forumn bout a guy that converted a 336 to use the MAX. Interesting.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 357 Max Lever

Post by elmo123 »

I rechambered a 94 trapper in 357 to maximum. It shoots very good. I would have to look up the chronograph results but it was pretty impressive. I bought a new carrier and cartridge guides and fit them to feed the max but it would not feed 38 specials anymore so I reinstalled the original parts and shoot the max one at a time.

Mike
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A lot of people are pushing their .357 Max well into the range of what a .35 Remington can do. It's a nice round!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rusty wrote:A lot of people are pushing their .357 Max well into the range of what a .35 Remington can do. It's a nice round!
That is not hard to do when you know what .35 Rem factory ammo actually does. 200 gr. at 2000 fps is very doable out of the .357 Max.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

My records show that out of my trapper, 16" bbl,

R-P 200 gr soft point 2073 fps

R-P 180 jhp 2154 fps

Speer 170 GDSP 2270 fps

W-W 158 jhp 1950 fps

Accuracy is very good with all of the bullets except the Speer 170. I also noticed that after I chambered it for the Maximum the accuracy of the magnums and specials remained the same. My loads above are not max loads but there is no need in pushing the envelope.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Although there is the advantage of 'cartridge compatability' if you also have a Contender or other .357 Maximum, if you have to use a 'long action' levergun like a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94, that would easily be available in .35 Remington, it seems more practical to just use the .35 Remington. However, when people can manage to get the .357 Maximum to function in a Mariln 1894 or a Winchester 92 - that is cool...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

elmo123 wrote:I rechambered a 94 trapper in 357 to maximum. It shoots very good. I would have to look up the chronograph results but it was pretty impressive. I bought a new carrier and cartridge guides and fit them to feed the max but it would not feed 38 specials anymore so I reinstalled the original parts and shoot the max one at a time.

Mike
I always thought a model 94 Winny in 357 mag was the perfect platform to create a 357 max lever gun out of with little effort but I've always read on various forums that the model 94 action could never handle the pressures of the 357 max, it would blow up on the first round. I'm happy to see the armchair experts proven wrong. :mrgreen:
Any signs of too much pressure, difficult extraction, etc.? Thanks!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think Tycer did one with a Win 357.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Savage wrote:I think Tycer did one with a Win 357.
Tycer did his in 360 DW (Dan Wesson) which is right in between a 357 mag and a 357 max.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I don't use the maximum listed charges there is no need to. I had thought about trying to set it up as a 35 Remington but I did not want to ruin a rifle in the process. I am sure the action would have handles the round but getting it to feed and extract would require more work, the rechamber to Maximum was much easier.

I have had no problems with extraction. When I was working up the loads I mistakenly used 2400 instead of RL7. The chronograph did not pick up the velocity but the primer pocket expanded along with the case head, about.080". I was loading one round at a time and got a little ahead of myself and had both pounds of powder on my bench which I normally never do. I am sure the pressure was in excess of 50,000 psi.

I keep the casing on my bench to remind myself to pay attention.