The Aussies have landed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

The Aussies have landed

Post by peter richards »

You may recall my earlier post, 9 of us fellow gun enthusiasts from Australia have landed. We had a great day at the gun store in Vegas shooting stuff we don't get to see in oz & at bass pro, you guys don't realize how good you have got it.
Heading up to Reno next for cabelas & the big show & WACA awards dinner where I am honoured to be giving the members a talk on collecting winchesters in Australia.
From there we are heading to Cody & the BBHC, Custer monument, Ogden & the browning museum & then San Antonio to hunt bison & elk with my new second hand 1895 Winchester in 405. I would love to catch up with fellow forum members on route & am looking for any suggestions on gun shops & things of interest along the way. Looking forward mostly to my hunt & catching up with Joe down in Texas, He has been awesome so far.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Aussies have landed

Post by RIHMFIRE »

have fun!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Welcome to my country :D
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Welcome to the USA.
I have your .405 ammo and will see you in Hondo soon. Travel safely.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Welcome to the United States of America. I hope that you thoroughly enjoy yourselves. I haven't been out West for several years. You will have a great time and see quite a lot. I know in Wyoming you don't need a license to shoot varmints so you might want to give it a whirl but this time of year is the big game seasons so there might be conflict.

Yellowstone National Park is a worthwhile visit because of the geysers and other geothermal phenomenon. Make sure you take a lot of pictures.

San Antonio is a huge city. I have been there a number of times. If your wives are with you they'd like the shopping and such along the Riverwalk. Then again maybe I should not have said that. :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You should post pictures.

Be sure to appreciate the proper clockwise Coriolus effect while you're up here on the normal side of the world... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Welcome to the USA and hope you have a lot of fun while here. There are a bunch of on this forum who can attest to the fact that Joe (86er) can put you on a hunt you will remember for a lifetime. Charles (CRS) will no doubt have the perfect ammo for you. He is very careful about his loading and he keeps his firearms clean and ready, so his loads for you should be perfect. Just don't let him take the first animal or you won't see any more of that herd for a few days. :D He and I were shooting Nilgai one time and after he shot the first one, the second refused to be seen for 3 days. When the hunt was over it showed up right out in the open. Stupid Nilgai. Let us know before you pass through Dallas, TX, and I will try to get a chance to meet with you somewhere.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great cast to this play - I hope y'all (you'll have to learn to say that, now) take lots of photos.

There are some great places to eat in San Antonio. Especially if you want Mexican food, I can make recommendations.
Best gun shops are Nagels and Drury's. If you can make it to Nagel's on a quiet weekday, and get someone to show you the back, you will be floored by the number of estate firearms they have on hand.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Best wishes for a great and memorable trip. :)

Dave B
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In San Antonio, visit the Alamo, then step across to the Menger Hotel and have a shot at the bar.

Same place Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders. :)

Nagel's had on hand, as of 7 years ago, over 6,000 guns in inventory and around 1500 on display, everything from 1840's Colt pocket pieces and Rolling Blocks to modern stuff.

Talk to "old" Bob, not Robert (who's an idiot), or talk to Ron, who should still be the general manager.

As a hunter, Dennis, assuming he's still there, short guy in his 40s with a 1911 on him somewhere all the time, can bend your ear on anything. He also knows the location of nearly anything in the store to within three feet... just walk into a certain room say "left-handed 6mm BR Remington 700" and odds are, he'll be awful close to where someone stashed it..... just as an example :)

If you have time, the Ranger museum is in Waco (3 hours north) and worth the stop. Tons of Peacemakers and Winchesters.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the USA. Image Try to leave it pretty much as you found it! Image But, you're welcome to any leftists you think you might want down in OZ! Image

I imagine by the time you get done in WY and MT, you'll be ready for some sunshine and warmth in San Antonio! Enjoy, and as others have said, post some pictures! Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming adventures!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

While in Reno make sure to ride over to Lake Tahoe and look around - you'll be glad you did.
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rat patrol »

Drop a bell if you get out towards Casper, Wy
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

In the words of AC/DC. "Lock up your daughter and lock up your wife; lock up your back door and run for your life..."

Welcome! I hope you don't have to learn how to drive on snow and ice.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

welcome, hope y'all have a nice time.
peter richards wrote: you guys don't realize how good you have got it.
some of us do. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

BC in TN wrote:While in Reno make sure to ride over to Lake Tahoe and look around - you'll be glad you did.
This is true. A fairly short drive but incredible scenery.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another +1 for a great San Antonio visit. Part of my growing up was done there. If you get to missing your homeland, check out Enchanted Rock northwest of town. Not exactly the same as Ayers Rock, but maybe the closest thing we have to it and very special in its own right. A huge monolithic dome you can climb all over and view the entirety of south-central Texas. Great environs around (picnicking etc) even if you can't do the clambering up it. Image
If not mentioned already, there's also Bracketville southwest of SA where there's a replica of the Alamo and surrounds made for early 60's The Alamo movie (John Wayne, Richard Widmark). Because the real thing is hemmed in my modern skyscrapers, this location perhaps gives you a better idea/context of how it might have been "back then." Don't know if they still have, but there used to be stagecoach rides, western re-enactments, shoot-outs, etc. a short distance away, within eyesight of the movie set IIRC.