Curious, for ccw do you ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Curious, for ccw do you ...

Post by rjohns94 »

Change out for certain circumstances or reasons? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

My daily carry is urban in nature. Currently I carry a full size 1911, each and everyday. Started this way 33 years ago and have migrated through many choices but I'm back to this. I have set aside all my little pea shooters, as well as the j frames, the 9 mm's and the large bore double action handguns for the 1911. It rides on my hip, or in my leather shoulder bag I use for my iPad, journal, bible, hotspot, extra mags, and fixed blade knife, pens and a few other items

When in woods I carry either a bearcat in .22, a .44 wheel gun, or the 1911. Depends on the nature of the business in the woods and where I am at.

So what do you do? Seasonal change? Keep the same one? Mix it up because you can? My 1911 is at my side everywhere. When I sleep, when I'm in the house, in the truck, on the boat, at the cabin, in the office, at church, everywhere.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hoosierdaddy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Curious, for ccw do you ...

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

Not so much "change out" but "add to". Always have my Seecamp 32 in my pocket. If visiting someplace questionable (downtown Richmond, etc) I add a 1911 in an inside the waistband holster. In the woods, either hiking or hunting, a S&W M&P40 .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hoosierdaddy wrote:Not so much "change out" but "add to". Always have my Seecamp 32 in my pocket. If visiting someplace questionable (downtown Richmond, etc) I add a 1911 in an inside the waistband holster. In the woods, either hiking or hunting, a S&W M&P40 .
Pretty much nailed my SOP.

NAA .32 "always" (even when I went swimming in Lake Michigan near Gary)

SP101 General purpose pocket/tuckable/Woods

1911 Heavy Tuckable/OC

Woods I OC and it's usually the 1858 or the SP101 depending on location.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Carry my little Sig P238 just about everywhere. I'm usually wearing khaki/ cargo pants and it fits nicely in my front pocket. I do sometimes carry my Glock 26 especially when I'm going to one of our rougher neighborhoods. I tend to carry the G26 or sometimes my G19 more when it's colder out. Just easier to conceal.

I find that all three shoot really well for me and have never felt undergunned, though when I knew I had to go to East Cleveland I always had that 3" .44mag 629 Trail Boss and three speed loaders. Just for Fun! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I feel my .44 Special DA revolver and my .45 ACP SA semiauto are more or less equivalent in stopping power, but that the .45 ACP gun gives me 12 shots (it's Para's "Officers Model") vs. 5 shots, with the tradeoff of being quite a bit heavier and perhaps ever-so-slightly more prone to malfunction.

So if I thought the odds were 'unusually high' I'd need multiple rounds vs. "the mere presence of a firearm", I'd carry the .45 ACP, but most days the .44 Special gets the nod.

On the other hand, if I really think odds of a dangerous situation are all that high, I'm either going to
  • a) make sure I don't GO there, or
    b) take an 18" pump shotgun instead...
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

45 most of the time..
380 when its hot....and wearing shorts and tee
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I live in Hicksville (everybody about knows everybody)
Honestly-------ain't packing currently!

Haven't even been motivated to switch over CCW from Pa(and actually it has been totally my fault,too lazy)our county issues pretty easy if your a good guy! :D

The neighbor hood did have a couple egged cars though few weeks ago!

But if again----------------------It's the Glock 20

Up here its the bears! So when outside at night its a 18.5" Stoeger double w 00Buck and a 3cell LED mini maglite velcro'd on top.
I don't even carry a knife anymore! :shock:
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Glock 19 with a trijicon RMRnsight milled into the slide (great for folks with old guy eye) most of the time carried inside the pants appendix. In the fall/winter I some times carry a different Glock 19 or 22 in a shoulder holster. A Kahr CW9 or smith snubby gets carried in a pocket every now and again.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

1911 .45 in the winter,
Phoenix is hot in the summer, so Star .380 in the summer, the opposistion is also lightly garbed.
YK will remember my Star, it has 1911 aftermarket sights on it.
AND RELOADS ARE THE FODDER.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I will only change between two guns depending on my clothing. I prefer to carry my 45 Cal Glock in a supertuck, but when I need better concealability I carry a Walther PPK also in a supertuck.
NRA Life Member
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Glock 30 for the last 12 years augmented by various 9mm's and a couple .38's.

The 30 goes everywhere, the times it can't, i'll use a compact 9mm.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I carry a 2.5" Model 19 in nearly all circumstances. A Simply Rugged Pancake with the little straps for carrying it inside the waistband is my holster of choice. Sometimes if it's really cold (and therefore wearing a big jacket) I'll pack an N frame but not too often or for too long.

Eric
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Practice a "don't ask, don't tell" policy! :P :lol:

Actually, a Combat Commander. All the power in a smaller package.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A .45ACP/1911 or a Charter .44 BullDog for Winter/cold weather/heavy clothing.

A .380 Walther PP for Summer/warm weather/light clothing.

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

A Glock .40 S&W holding Black Talons...when I get my carry permit in a week or so!
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

Depends on the circumstances...My everyday is a Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Spl 5 shot snub. If I need to really hide a gun, I use my Keltec P32. If I'm traveling, I use a Rossi stainless 6 shot snubby , a Ruger Security Six 2 1/2" both in .357 magnum.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I must admit I'm kinda fickle. I never know from one day to the next what might strike my fancy. And with weather here needing at the most a light jacket I don't have the change of seasonal clothing coming into play.

Yesterday it was an AMT day. .45 DAO Backup and .380 SA Backup. Today I think it's going to be Glock 30 and Beretta 21.

Lately when I'm in the desert or local mountains, I tend to favor my .45 colt Blackhawk, but there are times I'll take the Single Six. But for those times, I always have a long gun along.

And then there is the whimsical side of me. I've been known to carry either an 1858 Remmington or a 3" 1860 Army from time to time. Though I must admit some folks think I'm crazy when I do. But, what the heck, you just can't take life seriously all the time, you gotta have fun once in a while.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

XD9 in 4 inch and XD9 in 3 inch. Both carry well in the waistband w/o a holster, crossdraw. But I do have a supertuck for when I dress fancy and tuck my shirt in. :D

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I ALWAYS have a 642 'Smith. I even carry it while hunting, gunclub, splitting wood or cutting grass..

If I'm headed to an area I do not know or if its known for serious trouble, I carry a "New York Reload". Thats another 38 snubbie in addition to the 642, usually a Colt Detective Spl.----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kel Tec P3AT for most of the time, and a NAA mini in .22 Mag for those times when a really tiny item is better. S&W 99 Compact 40 cal in both of the cooler months.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Everyday is AirLite, AirWeight, or LCP. I have .45s in 1911, & XDM, but usually those are at hand inside, or woods w/o long gun......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV