tight chambered winnie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
windy
Levergunner

tight chambered winnie

Post by windy »

howdy, y'all. i'm just getting started with a new/old toy, an 1894 deluxe 38-55 that was made in 1926, damaged, and (almost?) never fired. i'm finding indications that the chamber is quite tight--when i reload my once-fired brass, i don't have to resize it to load a .377 bullet tight enough to not need to crimp it at all. since i haven't had much luck yet finding a .375 bullet load that's accurate, i'm wanting to try .377's, .378's, and .379's, but i'm afraid they won't release properly if the chamber's as tight as it seems. any suggestions? anybody have this kind of problem with '94 winchesters? i love the rifle; want to make it my go-to centerfire woods gun, but it needs to shoot where i point it!
mind yer topknots!
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: tight chambered winnie

Post by Shasta »

I assume you are using cast lead bullets, so the first thing to do, if you have not already done so, is to slug the bore. After bore size is determined, you then know that a bullet one or two thousandths larger than bore diameter is needed. Anything smaller is not likely to shoot accurately.

OK, now we have bullet diameter determined. If a round loaded with said diameter bullet chambers easily, it's just a matter of finding the right powder and primer for an accurate load. But it is likely that the loaded round will not chamber completely, as a lot of older rifles have a bore that is a bit on the large side, so a loaded round is simply too large a diameter to fit the chamber. The solution for my Winchester .38-55 as well as my .38-72 was to thin the case necks with an outside neck reamer. This made all the difference in the world as far as accurate shooting.

Below is a link to a series of threads I wrote on the process I went through for my .38-72. I think you may perhaps have a similar experience:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=37307

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

thankee, shasta; now all i gotta do is find me a neck reamer. like i said, i'm serious about this old gal; i'll go as far as she takes me.
mind yer topknot!
windy
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In addition to Shasta's expert advice, I'd like to add that for the past 40 years I have been using blown out 30-30 brass. It comes up a tad short but will allow you to use the bullet diameter that you need as 99% of 38-55 chambers that are tight that I have examined will constrict at the last 1/8" towards the mouth of the case.

Just load the shorter case to normal OAL and you're good-to-go. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

hey, thanks, smokewagon; a friend gave me 1000 pcs. of cleaned & resized 30-30 brass for my 32 specials. don't really need more'n 3-400 of 'em fer 32's. that'll give me some to experiment with. i expect it'll be a bit more involved than just using an expander ball for these, though; would 3-5 grains of trailboss or 2400 under a parrafin neck plug do the job, or is it a two-step process? somebody said something about shootin' corn meal, but i didn't get what he used over the corn meal to get a little pressure started.
mind yer topknot!
windy
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

windy wrote:hey, thanks, smokewagon; a friend gave me 1000 pcs. of cleaned & resized 30-30 brass for my 32 specials. don't really need more'n 3-400 of 'em fer 32's. that'll give me some to experiment with. i expect it'll be a bit more involved than just using an expander ball for these, though; would 3-5 grains of trailboss or 2400 under a parrafin neck plug do the job, or is it a two-step process? somebody said something about shootin' corn meal, but i didn't get what he used over the corn meal to get a little pressure started.
mind yer topknot!
windy

Windy,
I use neck expanders........I use the sloped 35 Whelan NE, then a sloped .378 Weatherby NE, then 38-55 fls. I have the process down so good, I run out a 100 at a time on a progressive press (RCBS 2000). Takes about 15 minutes.

If you have lots of time on your hands just stick about 10 grains of Bullseye and a cleaning patch for a bullet---point to the heavens and let her rip. And of course, a smart guy will square up the case mouths by trimming.------------------------------------------Stay Cool :D -----------Smokewagon :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD