Buck Knives...The world is comming to an end!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Buck Knives...The world is comming to an end!!!

Post by big medicine »

I can not believe it!!!! I bought a buck Hilo mod 179 and it is made in China.. Buck knives made in China, I give up?
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep I returned one to them a couple of years ago because of that. I bought a fillet knife and when I got it home I looked at the blade and there is was plain as day right on the blade CHINA.

I didn't know they were building their folders there as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

My 110 was made in the US. I got it for my 24th birthday, in '06.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It seems that their traditional line of knives are still made in the US while their more oddball looking ones are made overseas. I agree on the sentiment.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...The great grandchildren of the founder of the company, are now running the company. They seem to look at things differently. :(

...old goat
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, other than that, is it a good knife? :P
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

My Father in law got a new Buck stockman for Christmas...made in China. :shock: I see Browning knives are all made in China now too. A friend had one at a camping trip and cut the heck out of himself when the pot metal spring (I think thats what it is) on the back strap broke. He reached into his pocket and found the partially opened and freshly sharpened blade,That was a brand new knife.
I bought a new Case pocket knife recently and they are still US made.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I stop at the Case factory in Bradford, PA when I go home to see my parents in Western NY. They are still made there.

They are owned by Zippo, which has a very interesting display of damaged/destroyed lighters they replaced. They had one for awhile that had a bullet from a German rifle stuck in it, along with a letter from the soldier whose life was saved.
Always Lurking
Levergunner

Post by Always Lurking »

Kilroy6644 wrote:My 110 was made in the US. I got it for my 24th birthday, in '06.
My 110 was made in the US, and I got it for my 14th birthday in 1969.

Actually the knife was called the Folding Hunter back then, and tuff as nails, well tuffer than nails, as the adds showed the blade being hammered thro a nail.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Yep, it is sad to see many of the so-called American companies having their products made overseas.
Buck still has some of their knives made in the USA, but who knows how long that will last.

The Case/Zippo museum is a kck. I love the returned lighter collection as well. some of those letters will crack you up.
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

Well, Buck it..... Have to stay with case!
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

old goat wrote:...The great grandchildren of the founder of the company, are now running the company. They seem to look at things differently. :(

...old goat
Nope - that's not quite right.

For years, Buck Knives were made in El Cajon, CA. The laws in CA kept getting more and more stringent and as time passed the PRODUCTION of certain style knives were outlawed in CA. As a result, Buck had to stop making some of their knives in CA and sourced them out. Buck Knives finally move lock-stock-and-barrel to I think Idaho and now they make all their own knives. Maybe one or two lines still made in China.

An example of knife makers in CA is Cold Steel Knives. They make most of their knives in CA but the ones in their line that can't be made in CA are made in I think TX.
ED
Yer never too old
357dude
Levergunner

Post by 357dude »

They still have a lot of US made knives.

As much as I'd like to see more products made in the USA, we just can't compete with manufacturing countries such as China and some others.

It must be apparent that most Americans don't mind paying less regardless of were a product was manufactured.

Buck is a pretty good company and don't fault them for keeping competitive by having some of their products made overseas.

The Buck 110 is one of the best knife deals on the planet. I think it's a great knife, it's still made here and I think every outdoorsman and outdoorswoman should own one.

357dude
Marc Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Marc Taylor »

Please see "My theory" thread...

Thanks and sorry, but it irks me the way this is going.

Taylor
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

I bought the knife mail order because it was a "Buck" I expect a knife made in china from a lot of other companies. Didn't expect it from Buck. As to the quality....I will only know once I use it.
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I like the SOG knives they're made in the US. Except the "Fusion" line which is very good too.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Coupla years ago I was up in Idaho and talking to a knife sharpener. He asked about my Buck Folding Hunter, so I let him sharpen it also, He told that about 6 months before Wal-Mart had refused to buy any folding Bucks, as the price was going up. According the this gentleman, Wal-Mart, being the biggest retailer of Buck literally drove them overseas to keep the cost down so they'd buy. I believe that all the fixed blades are still built in the US, but the folders are from China. He had one 110 left that sez Buck 110-1 USA, it's mine now!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Several SOG models are sourced overseas & have been for a while. :)
Denis
big uns
Levergunner

Post by big uns »

Some of Gerbers and Columbia River Knives are made in China also. :lol:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I just looked at Buck's webpage. They have a very nice and informative set up.

http://www.buckknives.com/

Next to pictures and titles of knives they show a little flag for the ones that are made in USA. I was pleasantly surprised to find many knives made in the USA.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Buck Knives

Post by BobM »

I sent a Buck back to the factory that I had got new back in the mid 90s. A couple of years ago I let someone use it and it was damaged (doing something it wasn't designed for). I found it again this winter and sent it back in January. Yesterday a new knife showed up as the old one wasn't repairable. I told them in the letter how it was damaged so at best I was hoping they'd be able to fix the old one.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Always Lurking wrote:
Kilroy6644 wrote:My 110 was made in the US. I got it for my 24th birthday, in '06.
My 110 was made in the US, and I got it for my 14th birthday in 1969.

Actually the knife was called the Folding Hunter back then, and tuff as nails, well tuffer than nails, as the adds showed the blade being hammered thro a nail.
Yep, still got my 110 folding hunter. Used it for 25 years in Alaska. When I look at it, it reminds me of many fine adventures......and a few misadventures! :wink: :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Can you say NAFTA? :cry:
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...Modoc ED:
...You are getting production and sales confused. Cold Steel has an office set up outside Calf. to take orders for knives that cannot be sold in California. There is no production capabilities there. All that office does, is take mail orders.
...As for production, The Cold Steel web site's FAQ's states most of their knives are made in Japan, with some made in Taiwan, and others made in China.
...FWIW, I have Cold Steel knives that are stamped: Made in the USA, and some Made in Japan, and also Made in Taiwan.
...To get back to Buck knives, when the move out of Calif. was announced, the reason given, was the soaring cost associated with operating a business in California.

...old goat
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

old goat wrote:---...As for production, The Cold Steel web site's FAQ's states most of their knives are made in Japan, with some made in Taiwan, and others made in China.
...FWIW, I have Cold Steel knives that are stamped: Made in the USA, and some Made in Japan, and also Made in Taiwan.
.---
My S.O.G. Northwest Ranger is stamped "Seki, Japan". Still a good knife.

We have the same out-sourching problem here in Europe. Old firms with good traditional products move their production to East Asia, keep the prices and deliver deterior quality. Often it's better to buy good used stuff than brand new. :(

Old Sh.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

The swiss army needed a new pocket knife. We have the well-known knife producer Victorinox here in Switzerland also the supplier of the recent army pocket knife. They told us that there are some european union laws that we have to write out the replacement. Stupid as stupid can be. We are not member of the european union but fall under their law. The politic pressure is strong. :evil:
We won the fight and the next swiss army pocket knife will be again a "Victorinox". Made in Switzerland! :D
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
old goat wrote:---
My S.O.G. Northwest Ranger is stamped "Seki, Japan". Still a good knife.
It's not the 1950's , :wink: I view a knife made in Japan as a good thing, not a bad thing. My Spiderco is made in Japan, of course it's 15 years old now, so I'm not sure where they come from now.

I picked up a CRKT a couple years ago and was quite disappointed to see "Taiwan" on the blade. :?
Slow is just slow.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Origianally, I posted some derogatory statements about the hardness of Bucks and then deleted them. Then I read deeper into the thread and found out that the trouble with overseas manufacturing at Buck was caused by the state? One final thought; wouldn't it have been cheaper to go into another state, more manufacturer friendly, than Japan?
I just hate it when any American company goes over seas! I don't think the corporate world will ever see global economy any more than most enviromental people will see there is no such thing as global warming?
Just plan old corporate greed!
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's much more complicated than just corportate greed.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Maybe so but, my world economy stops at my bank?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by leverhunter »

handirifle wrote:Can you say NAFTA? :cry:
If NAFTA was the cause, then Buck Knives would be made in Canada or Mexico.

Alberta would be a nice place for them to set up shop.........
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!