OT-Interesting Aircraft

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT-Interesting Aircraft

Post by GANJIRO »

I did not want to hijack AmBraCol's thread "OT - The War Behind The Insults" but I have always been a fan of aircraft (especially WWII aircraft) and while reading the above mentioned post's second news article I couldn't help notice the mention of the aircraft the Colombian's used in their raid into Ecuador as Brazilian "Super Tucano" aircraft. I was intrigued by Brazilian military aircraft technology so I did a search and surprisingly found that to me this Brazilian Super Tucano has a uncanny resemblance to one of my favorite WWII fighter aircraft of all time (you can really see it in the tail) except with a nose wheel instead of being a tail-dragger, and the V-12 Merlin replaced with a more modern turbine engine, a modern version of a war winning US design. Can any of you fellow WWII aircraft fans guess which classic plane i'm thinking of?
Here's a few pictures of the Super Tucano, I'd love to fly in one of these babies!

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Ganjiro, I'm guessing you're talking about a P-51. Judging by the canopy size I would say that Tucano is quite a bit smaller, neat plane though. I love oddball military aircraft like the OV-10 Bronco and A-1 Skyraider. Anything that's made to slug it out in the trenches. AC-130s, A-10 Warthogs, oh yeah, low and slow with big guns, maybe not too sexy but they get the job done.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

we did joint missions with these.
pete

DAV life member.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I just read "A Lonely Kind of War" by Marshall Harrison. One of the best Vietnam War books I've read in probably 10 years. It gives a completly different perspective on that war. I never fully appreciated or understood the role of Forward Air Control until I read that book. I think California still uses Broncos for FAC fighting wildland fires.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Not a whole lot smaller with similar wind span and the P-51 actually being shorter, and the Super Tucanos has a double canopy for 2 persons so optical illusion of being smaller though it is a bit lighter and not as quick top speed.

Specifications:
North American P-51D Mustang

Wing span: 37 ft (11.27 m)
Length: 32 ft 3 in (9.82 m)
Height: 13 ft 8 in (4.16 m)
Weight Empty: 7,125 lb. (3,232 kg)

Performance:
Max Speed: 437 mph (703 km/h)
Range: 950 miles (1,529 km)
Max Range: 2,300 miles (3,701 km)

Specifications:
EMB-314 Super Tucano / Light Attack Aircraft, Brazil

Wingspan 11.14m
Length 11.42m
Height 3.90m
Weight Empty: 2,420kg

Performance
Maximum Speed 560km/h
Range over 1,500km
Last edited by GANJIRO on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I once stood on a Korean mountaintop looking down into the valley watching the OV-10s doing their thing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

A couple years back I started a collection of 1/4 inch scale (1/48 ) Vietnam Era model planes concentrating on the non-jet powered aircraft. The only one I have missing now is the OV-1Grumman Mohawk:

Was going to get together with Dad and build these but that didn't work out. :cry:
Last edited by GANJIRO on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I remember as a kid early one morning hearing a rucus in the sky so ran out to see 2 OV-10 Broncos from the Marine Base in a mock dogfight over my house. Somehow I don't think they where supposed to be doing that especially over the town, it was VERY cool though to watch them tossing and turning in the sky above trying to avoid each other.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I seen the A-10's tearing it up then come out of a gun run and doing a roll.all you can say is WOW
DAV life member.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

nemhed wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! I just read "A Lonely Kind of War" by Marshall Harrison. One of the best Vietnam War books I've read in probably 10 years. It gives a completly different perspective on that war. I never fully appreciated or understood the role of Forward Air Control until I read that book. I think California still uses Broncos for FAC fighting wildland fires.
Yep CDF uses them for arial FAC and drops on hot spots and in tight spaces that the larger planes cant get into.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Reminds me of the Piper Enforcer of some years back, although the Enforcer bore a much stronger resemlence to the P-51.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsh ... asp?id=614
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Dang GI , that last pic reminds me of my Dad , he joined the Army -Air force and wanted to fly planes. After the aptitude tests the powers to be thought he'd be better used working on some new radio detecting and ranging technology thing at the time .
Phil
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I'm guessing you're talking about a P-51. Judging by the canopy size I would say that Tucano is quite a bit smaller, neat plane though. I love oddball military aircraft like the OV-10 Bronco and A-1 Skyraider. Anything that's made to slug it out in the trenches. AC-130s, A-10 Warthogs, oh yeah, low and slow with big guns, maybe not too sexy but they get the job done.[/quote]

I can still remember vividly while still in Army flt school in '78 seeing the NEW A-10 giving us a flight demonstration and then less than 2 yrs later, being a member of an attack company which held some of the very first live-fire JAAT (joint air attack team) exercises ever with Air Force and Army aviation working together. I actually was calling mortar fire, AHI Cobra gunship fire and A-10 Fire in live fire, real-time exercises as a OH58 Scout Pilot. We even carried Air Force O2 pilots with us at times(don't tell anyone, but I actually let him fly my aircraft a bit!) VERY interesting stuff. Thanks for making me remember that!
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

The only one I have missing now is the OV-1Grumman Mohawk:

Was going to get together with Dad and build these but that didn't work
out. :cry:[/quote]

Have you ever seen the Mohawk with the large SLAR hung underneath? In the late 70s and early 80s the Army had a similar radar boom beneath a helicopter platform it used for looking at ground targets with real-time information vs. the Mohawks tapes. SOTAS (stand off target aquisition system). The boom, about the same size as a Mohawk's, actually turned underneath the aircraft when in mission mode in flight. Very unusual. It was an interesting tour flying them for 3 yrs. As far as I know, only 4 of these specialized aircraft made it into the inventory.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I guessed P-51. Do I get a prize? :D

I don't recall the name, but I like the big gunship in "Transformers" they used in the desert. My brother is in the Air-Force, he got fired up as soon as he seen it.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I'm sure I have seen a Mowhawk in North Wales, There was/is a RAF base at Shell Island and about fifteen years ago I watched from afar a craft take of from the base. Wierd looking thing and have always wondered what it was. I am now convinced that it was a Mowhawk, The base I think flew drones for some reason, perhaps for targeting/tracking etc, thanks.
The RAF use to use the tucano for a trainer but we don't see them busing about now. Nippy craft with a distinct sound, I miss them.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Andrew wrote:I guessed P-51. Do I get a prize? :D

I don't recall the name, but I like the big gunship in "Transformers" they used in the desert. My brother is in the Air-Force, he got fired up as soon as he seen it.
AC-130 Gunship
Those things are cool. They get used in Iraq alot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BruceB

Thanks a million for that airforce link. Wow!!

If you type Havoc in the search box you will see the A-20 my Dad flew as test pilot off the assembly line. Some hair-raising stories including how close I came to NOT being born.

Most of those planes were ferried by girls to Alaska where Russian pilots picked them up and flew them across to Siberia and down to the war zone.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

My Dad was on the Convair RB-36 back in the 50's. Weird yet classy and wonderful looking too! If I remember correctly it carried 84,000 lbs of bombs and also helped it earn it's name "Peacemaker"!
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Talk about interesting :lol:
McDonnell XF-85
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

edsguns wrote:The only one I have missing now is the OV-1Grumman Mohawk:

Was going to get together with Dad and build these but that didn't work
out. :cry:
Have you ever seen the Mohawk with the large SLAR hung underneath? In the late 70s and early 80s the Army had a similar radar boom beneath a helicopter platform it used for looking at ground targets with real-time information vs. the Mohawks tapes. SOTAS (stand off target aquisition system). The boom, about the same size as a Mohawk's, actually turned underneath the aircraft when in mission mode in flight. Very unusual. It was an interesting tour flying them for 3 yrs. As far as I know, only 4 of these specialized aircraft made it into the inventory.[/quote]

I guess I am showing my age here but I went to school for the auto pilot on the "hawk" an-asw 12.heres a fact for you. the amp for the auto pilot is run by TUBES :lol: :lol: .I went across 500 vdc doing a volt check and got bit hard...ouch. :D
pete
DAV life member.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I know its not a fixed wing buy my fav aircraft.
as we said in the cav.if it doesn't have guns its a taxi :lol: .
pete

DAV life member.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Oh you've hit a major weak spot for me. I was a wingnut before I knew what a firearm was (not by much but I was aware of a/c first :D).

Ji, if I had a quarter scale Mohawk kit it would be headed your way. Don't build anymore since I lack the time, talent, patience and space.

Mud movers are my favorites. A10, SPAD (Skyraider), Henschel Hs129, Havocs, Mitchells (I really like the ship busters from the SOPAC), yadayadayada.

Regarding the B36, there's been a story for years that there is a B36 off the end of the Carswell AFB runway in Lake Worth. It went into the drink during an aborted takeoff. Depending on who's doing the telling it was carrying a nuke that was never pulled out, the nuke was pulled out or it never had one to begin with.

Two good VN helo books are Low Level Hell and Easy Target. Both were written by LOACH drivers and cover their recon work as well as the Cobra/LOACH hunter killer teams. What makes reading both interesting is that one was written by a gung ho volunteer and the other was a draftee who thought it sounded safer than being a grunt.

Chickenhawk is another one. It's been a long time since I read it but IIRC the author was a slick driver.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Since we're posting favorite AC's, here's one I worked out of many moons ago.

Can anyone ID it?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

jeepnik wrote:Can anyone ID it?
Helicopter!! I win again! 8) :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Andrew wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Can anyone ID it?
Helicopter!! I win again! 8) :D
Another candidate for mensa :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Sure like all those planes. I got a little time in jets (T-33) and the H19 helicopter (novelty then) in the Korean wat - and I was in as a medical officer and not a pilot then. Went through cadets in WW II.

This is my speed now -

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

But then we all know a helicopter can't really fly. They're just so ugly the earth naturally repels them.

I was working one night in S. Fla and I heard something in the air. I couldn't see anything but was hearing it fly around. I kept looking and finally I was able to pick out a black ( no it wasn't a helicopter) Bronco flying around in a fairly tight circle. It had been rumored that DEA had a few of them but I was never able to confirm anything. The only reason anything was ever made over DEA having them in the first place as I heard it was because they still had the hard mounts on them and for some reason that's a no no. I never did understand that either.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I worked on the OV-10 when I was with the 1st Special Operations Wing.
txpete wrote:we did joint missions with these.
pete

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I see these everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan_II

My son flew them when he was training to fly the F-15E Strike Eagle.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Swampman wrote:I see these everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-6_Texan_II

My son flew them when he was training to fly the F-15E Strike Eagle.
That is one good looking aircraft, thanks for sharing. :wink:
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

JI, you may be interested in this. I just saw an episode of "Dogfights" on the History channel, a great series. This one was on the P-51. Do you know how many planes its crews downed in WWII? I was absolutely flabbergasted to learn that, are you ready?, 4,957 planes were either shot down, or destroyed on the ground!!!! Were we good at our technology, or what??? And our People were supreme, as well!!!! God Bless America!!! jd45
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

jd45 wrote:JI, you may be interested in this. I just saw an episode of "Dogfights" on the History channel, a great series. This one was on the P-51. Do you know how many planes its crews downed in WWII? I was absolutely flabbergasted to learn that, are you ready?, 4,957 planes were either shot down, or destroyed on the ground!!!! Were we good at our technology, or what??? And our People were supreme, as well!!!! God Bless America!!! jd45
DOGFIGHTS my (and Dad's) favorite show, at least the episodes that highlight WWII battles. P-51 definitely my favorite in European Theatre but in the Pacific Theatre my favorite (Even more than the F4U Corsair) was the Grumman Hellcat. Carrier borne Navy and Marine Hellcats in the Pacific region racked up a total of 4,948 kills by the end of the war. Other land based Hellcats had some success by scoring 266 kills. In all, 5,216 Axis airplanes were downed by Hellcats. As my dad would say "they made mincemeat out of Jap planes". Thanks for sharing the info, USA sure kicked butt in WWII

What a BEAUTY!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

JI, and God bless your dad, too. He's the reason I'm able to do what I do. jd45
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

And here's what my Uncle Suzuki was flying over Lingayan Gulf, Luzon, Philippine Islands when my Dad (and the rest of the invasion fleet) started opening up on him. :shock: :lol: :wink:
My uncle was finally shot down but survived with burn scars on his face his goggles protecting his eyes and skin around them so he had these google shaped area of clear skin to forever remind him of the conflict. He became a teacher after the war and rarely spoke of that time. I just remember him as being a quiet and humble man.

Mitsubishi Ki-46
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

My son is the back seat of this one.

edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

txpete wrote:I know its not a fixed wing buy my fav aircraft.
as we said in the cav.if it doesn't have guns its a taxi :lol: .
pete

Do I win the prize if I tell you all...I have flown an AHIS Cobra and had a very experienced and VERY brave instructor pilot turn me upside down in one... just after I fired the 20mm gattling gun.... woooooooooooo hooooooooo
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Looks more like a P39 Aircobra to me than a P51 - only because of the nose wheel setup. In either case, a very cool looking plane. I have always wondered why we no longer have a prop plane in the lineup similar to the A1 Skyraider - long loiter times, high ordnance capacity, good armor from ground fire, etc. I suppose the A10 Warthog fits the bill better but a prop plane would work well against insurgent groups who don't have attack aircraft which could counter against a non-jet model (I just like piston engines better... :wink: )
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

GANJIRO wrote:Mitsubishi Ki-46
Very nice Dinah build!

I've always thought the Japanese aircraft had a certain elegant grace to them.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

I've always liked the Bell L-39.

Bruce

GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

awp101 wrote:
GANJIRO wrote:Mitsubishi Ki-46
Very nice Dinah build!

I've always thought the Japanese aircraft had a certain elegant grace to them.
Amen to that, Japanese aircraft IMHO all had graceful lines that were unique to the Japanese especially the radial engined aircrafts with their graceful engine cowling and matching prop hubs, rounded wing tips, etc. the Mitsubishi A6M3 Reisen (Zero) being a perfect example of graceful almost feminine lines, as opposed to American aircraft's very macho lines. Very different design philosophies but both nations putting out very eye pleasing designs.

Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Is this the thread where I get to show off my B-25 pictures?

KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Piper 48... I was living in Florida when Piper rolled that out. It WAS a P51 with a Garrett engine

Word was the USAF liked it... it was about to go into testing but the USAF did not have any pilots rated for tailwheel aircraft, The project died soon after.

Mohawks... we had a squadron of Mohawks come to out little Tennessee town from Arizona. They flew out for a funeral... someone from that squadron was from the area.

I thought they were cool.