Re-blueing front sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Re-blueing front sight

Post by kmittleman »

Hi all,

I want to re-blue the top of the front sight of my Ruger BH but have never done it before (it was used and I scraped off some yellow paint that was on the front blade). Are there any tricks or preparations I should know about? Any particular brand of blueing that you all like?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Re-blueing front sight

Post by TedH »

I like Brownells Oxphoblue. It works best of the cold blues that I've tried over the years. Just make sure your metal is clean and dry, no oil. Might have some fine steel wool to clean up the metal between applications.
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

+1 on the Oxpho.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

TedH wrote:I like Brownells Oxphoblue. It works best of the cold blues that I've tried over the years. Just make sure your metal is clean and dry, no oil. Might have some fine steel wool to clean up the metal between applications.
+1

Use brake cleaner or alcohol to clean all traces of oils and dirt from the surface and then apply it with a cotton swab. It will likely take repeated applications to get it dark but it will get there.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are