Soul food

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Soul food

Post by earlmck »

Wonder how many sourdoughs we have amongst the crew here?

Division of labor in this camp is that I do the sourdough stuff, the boss does most everything else. My contribution to "debate night dinner" was the biscuits:
Biscuitscut.jpg
Biscuitsinpan.jpg
Biscuitsbaked.jpg
Girl did an "autumn soup" and we put 'em together:
Biscuitswithsoup.jpg
Dessert was said biscuit with a dollop of strawberry freezer jam.

The girl had to leave the room while the debate was still going on. I'm pretty sure it was the politics, and not the dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Soul food

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yummy!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When you said "soul food", I was expecting watermelon or some greasy chicken. :D That looks good to me Earl. Slap some pure butter on those babies and send me a few.

Hey! Who's the Neanderthal in the first pic? :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Sixgun wrote:When you said "soul food", I was expecting watermelon or some greasy chicken. :D That looks good to me Earl. Slap some pure butter on those babies and send me a few.

Hey! Who's the Neanderthal in the first pic? :D -------------Sixgun
Amen, I was thinking fried catfish, collard greens, hush-puppies, and grits. :mrgreen:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:When you said "soul food", I was expecting watermelon or some greasy chicken. :D

My sentiments EXACTLY !

To me soul food means what the older black folks cooked "back in the day" (as the younger black folks now say).
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Earl, ask this guy about "soul food". (no disrespect for getting off the subject) ---------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Fried pork chops, mashed potatoes, purple hull peas and turnip greens. That's soul food.

Those biscuits sure look good though :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great lookin' biscuits Earl. :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Had me thinking chitlins. I was about skeered to look.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I LIKE!! :D :D :D
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

44-40 Willy wrote:Had me thinking chitlins. I was about skeered to look.
I hear if you don't clean out chitlins well before cooking it will taste like chit. :lol:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That there's some gooood eatin!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks good to me. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I used to frequent "Soul by the Pound" in downtown Chicago back in the '80's. Great cohn braid, unusual veggies, but I never touched the chitlins...they smelled just like the creek around the local sewer pipe.

Out here in Hispanoland they have "menudo" and some people are crazy for it, never tried that either.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

"menudo" was one of Fred Sanford.'s favorite soul foods I do believe.
I have not tasted menudo or chitlins.
I bet everyone knows Fred Sanford.

hayabusa
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Soul Food. n That food that you ate when you were a youngster, developing into the soul which you have become. Good and familiar food which you can count on.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

El Chivo,
Trust me.............. stay away from Menudo!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

earlmck wrote:Soul Food. n That food that you ate when you were a youngster, developing into the soul which you have become. Good and familiar food which you can count on.
well, this is generally called "Comfort Food", although that is a recent label.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Mescalero wrote:El Chivo,
Trust me.............. stay away from Menudo!
Mesc, THANKS, no problem with that, no worries all around.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Isn't that stuff Mexican?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

A good menudo is delicious. Cow tripe, white hominy, onion and spices. Or, there's white (broth) menudo, too. I don't care for stewed chitlins, but WILL eat my share of fried ones. Reminds me of chewier calamari, LOL.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

pneuby wrote:A good menudo is delicious. Cow tripe, white hominy, onion and spices. Or, there's white (broth) menudo, too. I don't care for stewed chitlins, but WILL eat my share of fried ones. Reminds me of chewier calamari, LOL.

I agree with all that...Really like the menudo...I think it comical how some folks swear off foods they havent even tried...Thats okay,people is funny....dang.......The picture of them biscuits is making me hOngry.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Alphawolf45 wrote:
pneuby wrote:A good menudo is delicious. Cow tripe, white hominy, onion and spices. Or, there's white (broth) menudo, too. I don't care for stewed chitlins, but WILL eat my share of fried ones. Reminds me of chewier calamari, LOL.
I agree with all that...Really like the menudo...I think it comical how some folks swear off foods they havent even tried...Thats okay,people is funny....dang.......The picture of them biscuits is making me hOngry.
Absolutely! I remember on a trip home from VN, a friend & I imbibed a lot on the last leg of our trip, Honolulu to LA. He invited my wife & I over to dinner on Sat. nite. We showed up, two whitebreads in a dark neighborhood... if you take my meaning. His wife answered the door, saw us standing there and yelled over her shoulder, "SAM, DID YOU FORGET TO TELL ME SOMETHING?"

She invited us in, and said, "... we have enough, but we're having 'Soul Food'."

I calmly said, "...fine, I've never had any, what is it?"

She said, "... we're having ham hocks, black-eyed peas, corn bread, collared greens."

Sounded just like what my grandma fixed us when I was grownin' up! Wife bein' raised in Naw 'rLeans also felt right at home! Good eats.

Love white broth menudo. The red, not so much... but man, will it fill ya up. Y'all probably don't like "bait" either? Sushi, good for ya, if it don't kill ya! :twisted: :P

Different ethnic foods can be a rewarding experience. But... y'all can keep balut! Even 3 sheets to the wind, that took my breath away! NEVER to be repeated.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Different ethnic foods can be a rewarding experience. But... y'all can keep balut! Even 3 sheets to the wind, that took my breath away! NEVER to be repeated.

Yes sir we are 100% in agreement on that one !

My lady firnds family in the Philippines love that , but I gotta say it ain't for me !

Same can be said for the Durian Fruit in the Philippines !
I remmember sitting beside a pinoy on the flight over in 2008 and him telling me to try Durian . He said it is a wonderfull fruit , it taste like heaven and smeels like POOH ! I tried the Durian once or twice and that ain't for me either .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

soul food .....

makes me think of the day in July 2002 when a bunch of us were in the Mojave Desert, out east of Calico, 102 degrees in the shade, a guns and camping weekend.

my pal Matt and I made ice cream.

Cheers,

Carl
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Alphawolf45 wrote:

Oh please. I'm not going to start eating intestines just to prove I'm open-minded. I'm sure it's all spiced and prepared just fine, but I'll stick with meat. I'm just not copraphagic, never have been.
Last edited by El Chivo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here in the islands raw fish, and shellfish is the accepted way to eat fresh seafood. A couple things that even some mainlanders may find unappetizing is raw beef liver dish called "Aki" which is fresh raw liver chopped into bite size pieces with chopped seaweed and salt added. Prepared properly I love the stuff, a tad funky if not. Trick is soak the liver overnight in milk. Another island favorite is "Na'au" which is basically pork intestines (chitlins) cut up, marinated, and cooked over the fire (pulehu). The main thing is clean it out real good by running water through it for several minutes. Some even soak over night in a water and baking soda liquid to absorb some of the funkiness. I don't mind a little funkiness, it adds to the experience. :D I love the red Mexican style menudo as well beef tripe stew another island favorite. The only thing I absolutely refuse to touch is blood of any kind whether it be blood sausage or Filipino Dinuguan, blood dishes disgusts and repulses me. :x
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, your sourdough biscuits are soul food to me. I've got to get a starter going. Around our house, soul food is shorthand for such things as browned beef in gravy over mashed potatoes with peas --from back in the days of grade-school cafeterias, where you could buy a half pint of whole milk for three cents.

:D
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Ji next time you are in Texas, There is a cool taco place on the rough side of San Antone that makes a dish called Morcilla con Toriados (blood sausage with grilled jalepenos on a ho-made flour tortilla). This stuff is so good you will bite yourself for not having tried it earlier.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

octagon wrote:Ji next time you are in Texas, There is a cool taco place on the rough side of San Antone that makes a dish called Morcilla con Toriados (blood sausage with grilled jalepenos on a ho-made flour tortilla). This stuff is so good you will bite yourself for not having tried it earlier.
I'm going to stick with the direction of the first century Christian elders: :wink:
"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things."
Acts 15:28,29
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

I've had a few blood sausages in a pub, and had Dinuguan a few times. Don't dislike either, but they didn't inspire me, neither. :lol:
Yes, there's a reason for the Kosher and Halal methods that drain the blood. :wink:
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

El Chivo wrote:
Alphawolf45 wrote:

Oh please. I'm not going to start eating intestines just to prove I'm open-minded. I'm sure it's all spiced and prepared just fine, but I'll stick with meat. I'm just not copraphagic, never have been.
There is no intestines in Menudo , so you don't have to become a poop eater.

It is good soup,white or red, I like it with plenty of cilantro chopped fine and a good squirt of fresh lime juice with plenty of bolillio bread on the side. French or Italian bread works to

Tripe, white mexican hominy, onion, garlic, salt and some good marrow bones from the lower legs will do it for the white version and just add red chile to make it red.

My Grandfather and all the ole cowboys on the border called it- sorry so-and-so.

Friends from the North called it Mc noodle and friends who wouldn't try it called it cow guts and corn.

eat well--- J :)
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

in my simplistic opinion i would definitely call that SOUL FOOD... :)