Hog Hunt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Hog Hunt

Post by C. Cash »

Just got back from a hog hunt with my boy, organized by Joe Riekers in Avery, Texas. We all could not have had a better time. My son killed one 185 pounds with his Marlin 336 Texan in 44 Mag. Because of chambering issues, we used 44 Special brass, 10.5 grains of 2400 and Ranch Dog's 265 grainers. The bullet went all the way through...the hog bolting about 20 yards into the trees and died. Not alot of blood on the ground but it did the job quickly. I shot a 165 pounder with my 356 Winchester with the Beartooth 210 gr. LFNGC. Same thing but alot more blood out of both sides of him. That bullet at 2000+ fps does quite a job. Here is my boy and his Hog, which was killed just before the end of the day. Image
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hog Hunt

Post by horsesoldier03 »

GREAT JOB, Glad to see you passing on our heritage!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Fantastic. Memories of a life time
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great job! Nothing like putting meat on the table with leverguns and cast bullets. 8)
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Glad to have you guys! Great job!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you fellas.....memories of lifetime for sure. The cast bullets sure did the job Ted. The guide did not like the fat 43 Cal. bullets. He's seen a good number stick in the thick grist plate and prefers the 35's to it. My son seemed to put it behind the thicker part of the plate and it still killed the hog quick. I find it pretty amazing that it penetrated both sides at moderate 44 Special velocities. I've not shot a whole lot of large critters so it surprised me how the bullets penetrated and how quickly they killed. The damage and penetration of my 356 Win. With cast was an eye opener.

Thank you Joe! Truly had a wonderful time and Alexander is still on cloud nine.
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I used a cast bullet to kill the hog I got there, it killed quickly too, of course it was a 500 gr. 470 Nitro. :wink:
NRA Life Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

TedH wrote:I used a cast bullet to kill the hog I got there, it killed quickly too, of course it was a 500 gr. 470 Nitro. :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: That's a non stick bullet, pretty sure.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only cast bullet I have used on a hog was a WFN LBT style from Cast Performance bullets in .475 diameter and 425 grains. It did a great job at about 1100 fps.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I would think that would do the job nicely Piller. In a handgun?

Joe...meant to say the boys loved the skinning knives.....thank you for those. They even used them a little.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

TedH wrote:I used a cast bullet to kill the hog I got there, it killed quickly too, of course it was a 500 gr. 470 Nitro. :wink:
If you had aimed just right it would have gutted and skined it at the same time. :D
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Congrats to both of you! He will never forget that hunt
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks for the kind words Dave.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

C. Cash wrote:. . . we used 44 Special brass, 10.5 grains of 2400 and Ranch Dog's 265 grainers.
Any idea what velocity that gets out of a rifle...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

No I sure don't but I swear I saw the bullet fly into that hog. It's only a slight step up in power from your standard cowboy action load. I would NOT want to get hit by it, though! :shock:
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I'm glad your boy likes that rifle. He looks like a fine boy.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

edwardyoung wrote:I'm glad your boy likes that rifle. He looks like a fine boy.
He really loves it Edward, and your right about him. I am very proud of the young man he's become. Hope your doing well!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

The Hunt of a Lifetime and that Smile covers a lot of Ground. He aint gonna forget it. I'll bet He can't wait to tell the Guys.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Congratulations to you both.
Let us know how the meat turns out. We have had some great breakfast sausage from hogs taken there.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Most awesome, congrats to your son and you. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Dave wrote:Congrats to both of you! He will never forget that hunt
+1

Dave B
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Congrats to you and the boy for the successful hunt.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

How does it get any better than that. :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing and great job to all concerned! Congrats!
Memories forever!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Hey Chris, did that place have enough hogs to shoot at? :wink: :lol:

Congratulations to you and your son. That .356 kills hogs like right now, don't it?

Hope those hogs are good eating!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

FWiedner wrote:Hey Chris, did that place have enough hogs to shoot at? :wink: :lol:

Congratulations to you and your son. That .356 kills hogs like right now, don't it?

Hope those hogs are good eating!

:mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah we saw a few Fred. The trouble as you know is to wait for a big one to line up broadside without another five piggies standing behind him. Never does a man do more math in such a short amount of time! :wink: Alexander waited and waited until I thought our last chance was gone, the day being almost over, and an answer to prayer...Mr. Big Boy stopped and stayed semi still just long enough, with no little ones behind him to take the shot. Proud of my boy for having the patience to wait and put the bullet in the right spot. I was very impressed with both the 356 Win. and the toughness of those hogs, to last even the 20 yards to get out of there. The lightly loaded 44 Special impressed as well. Elmer Keith was a smart dude. A buddy and his son were using 243's....both required multiple shots to end the affair on each hog, which were pretty small and lots of meat damage. Thank you fellas, one and all.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is my 165 pounder shot with the 356 Win. This was the off/exit side. Yep my buddy shot Wilbur. :shock: He said he looked bigger in his scope. Bryan was perplexed and said upon arriving on the scene...."Ya'll didn't see a bigger one?" :lol:
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

Congratulations to both of you. Sure wish you could have killed 2 or 3 million more. :) I live about 180 miles due south of Avery. I've been hunting those ol' hogs over 40 years and I've never gotten tired of it.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ironwood wrote:Congratulations to both of you. Sure wish you could have killed 2 or 3 million more. :) I live about 180 miles due south of Avery. I've been hunting those ol' hogs over 40 years and I've never gotten tired of it.
I can see how it could become a lifelong addiction Ironwood. Enjoyed meeting the good folks there as much we did pulling the triggers. Thank you!
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Now that's what I call an "Educational Field Trip". ;-)

Congratulations to you both!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Looks like a great time was had by all. Joe's trips are always worth while! Congrats!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

mav wrote:Now that's what I call an "Educational Field Trip". ;-)

Congratulations to you both!
Yeah I had to downplay the hog hunt part a little Mav! Some educators here don't take kindly to hog killin'! :lol:
Thank you fellas.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

As an educator, a good hunting trip can beat what is said in the classroom. More young men need to take such trips to build character and learn about the real world.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

bigbore442001 wrote:As an educator, a good hunting trip can beat what is said in the classroom. More young men need to take such trips to build character and learn about the real world.
A large part of our problems here in the US stem back to fathers not spending such time with their sons and daughters, I believe, Bigbore. I am thankful for every chance.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow There! Nearly missed this!!

Well done fellers, well deserved too, one of our steller gents on here Mr Cash.

Now send me some sausage :lol:

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Nath! I told you I had big plans, which is usually as far as I get...very glad we could finally get down there. Thank you for the kind words amigo.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Forgot to mention the folks at Carolina Cast Bullets........great folks to work with and the only one we could find that turns out the Ranch Dog 265 Gr. bullets in .432". Our Marlin has this bore size. They worked really hard to get those bullets to us in time for the hunt, and very personable. Highly recommended!

http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/44_S ... agnum.html