Maine Moose Hunt 2012

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Maine Moose Hunt 2012

Post by Mainehunter »

Just got back yesterday from a moose hunt that my co-worker’s brother-in-law got picked in this year’s lottery. The zone he got picked ended up being where my camp is location near Dead River/The Forks area, just south of that. Left this past Friday with some warm temperatures around 75 deg. but didn’t last long.

Cold front pushed through Saturday dropped the temps near freezing mark with some rain and snow mix. We scouted the area both Saturday and Sunday, found a couple of places that showed signs of fresh moose prints. In between scouting we did some bird hunting (partridge) but they weren’t cooperating!

Monday was the start of the hunt. Got up around 4:30 a.m., the temps were hovering around 29 deg. and we were on the road by 5:00 a.m. We reached our destination by 7:00 a.m. By 7:30 a.m. this young bull showed up.

A 2-3 year old bull weighting just under 700 lbs. In my opinion that’s perfect weight not too big, easy loading and it will taste good! But my friend’s brother-in-law was wishing for a bigger rack but he’ll re-think that once he sinks his teeth on some nice juicy moose steaks! He shot it with a pre-64, Winchester model 70 in 270 Winchester. Dropped him right on the logging road, distance was around 40 yards. It took us less than 20 minutes from dressing to loading it on the trailer.

We got back to camp by 9:30 a.m. Made coffee and breakfast along with some moose heart and onions. The rest of Monday and part of Tuesday we hunted birds but they had other plans. I’m so irritated on these birds now I’m thinking of going back in another week and even the score :x In all it was a good hunt with good friends and great food!

Mainehunter :wink:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Maine Moose Hunt 2012

Post by mod71alaska »

Congratulations on a successful Maine moose hunt! Yummmmmmm!!! Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Is that Katahdin in the distance?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

mod71alaska wrote:Congratulations on a successful Maine moose hunt! Yummmmmmm!!! Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing.
+1
Outstanding on all counts.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Congratulations on a successful hunt, love the pictures especial the first along the lake. Last time I was in Maine was in '64. :shock:
Do you eat the liver and kidneys too. I'm a liver lover (with bacon & onions) so just curious. What birds were you hunting, timberdoodles?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

fantastic. loved the photos.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Old Savage wrote:Is that Katahdin in the distance?
That’s actually Bigelow Mountain. It’s more southwest of Katahdin.
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Congratulations on a successful hunt, love the pictures especial the first along the lake. Last time I was in Maine was in '64. :shock:

Do you eat the liver and kidneys too. I'm a liver lover (with bacon & onions) so just curious. What birds were you hunting, timberdoodles?
Unfortunately, the state biologists recommend NOT to eat the liver and kidneys due to amount of mercury that may be in them. The moose here love to eat in the ponds/streams and consume large amount of algae and water lily’s. As for the partridge, they are also known as ruffed grouse in these parts. They are good eating too when stuffed, baked, fried, etc.etc..

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I see he took it with my favorite rifle cartridge :mrgreen: What weight and brand of bullet was he using?
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

RustyJr wrote:I see he took it with my favorite rifle cartridge :mrgreen: What weight and brand of bullet was he using?
RustyJr
I was more than willing to come up with some custom loads such as Barnes or Nosler but he ended up using a box of Winchester Supreme 150 grn. I don’t know the ballistics on them but I was kind of surprised at the performance. Meaning he took two shots, one at the neck the other was a chest shot and both didn’t go through. I found that kind of odd at such a close range. Either the bullet shattered on impact or it over expanded.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Congrats !

I'd love to come up there or Newfoundland and kill ONE moose before I go . And I'd like to do it with my circa 1966 "Retro 444P" shooting my MM/RD 432-325GC bullet and the old Weaver K3 on top !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: green with envy :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mainehunter wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote: What birds were you hunting, timberdoodles?
As for the partridge, they are also known as ruffed grouse in these parts. They are good eating too when stuffed, baked, fried, etc.etc..

No timberdoodle (aka Woodcock) hunting in Maine?

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

You guys are good!! :mrgreen:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds like the only thing wrong with that hunt was that it was too short! Congratulations! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote: What birds were you hunting, timberdoodles?
As for the partridge, they are also known as ruffed grouse in these parts. They are good eating too when stuffed, baked, fried, etc.etc..

No timberdoodle (aka Woodcock) hunting in Maine?

I should of looked it up but Yes, woodcock is available but it's considered a "migratory bird" need a special license for that. Interesting the season is only for a month. Never tried hunting them are they good eating?

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Congrats on a nice eating size moose. You have to like it when you can bring them out in one piece.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mainehunter wrote:
I should of looked it up but Yes, woodcock is available but it's considered a "migratory bird" need a special license for that. Interesting the season is only for a month. Never tried hunting them are they good eating?

I've read allot about timberdoodle hunting along with partridge (Ruffed Grouse) but never had the pleasure. I hear the meat is dark, and stronger tasting than a grouse. They are supposedly one of the hardest gamebird to hit with their vertical launch at flush and their erratic flight path through trees, sounds like a fun challenge. Growing up my dad had a mounted woodcock for years but he wasn't a hunter so not sure what the story was. I just remember how weird this critter looked. Woodcock and Jacksnipe the only two shorebird species open to hunting.

Woodcock Recipes: http://www.wildliferecipes.net/Game_rec ... /index.asp
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Congratulations on a successful hunt. That's a lot of eating there. Beautiful pics.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Congrats on the moose mainehunter. Beautiful country! You should go back for birds. The wife and i were there with the jeep Saturday and did well.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote:Congrats on the moose mainehunter. Beautiful country! You should go back for birds. The wife and i were there with the jeep Saturday and did well.
I’m glad someone is getting them. Where about are you hunting? My “honey-do-list” before I go to deer camp got a little bigger so unfortunately I won’t be going up until then BUT I may take an extra day off just to devote on the little buggers and do some deer scouting as well.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mainehunter,

Got a couple in towards pierce pond. Got to take it slow and watch off the sides. Still quite a few leaves up.
Deer hunting has been rough the last couple years so i decided this year to just bird hunt. Best eatin in the state anyway.....cept maybe moose.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote:Mainehunter,

Got a couple in towards pierce pond. Got to take it slow and watch off the sides. Still quite a few leaves up.
Deer hunting has been rough the last couple years so i decided this year to just bird hunt. Best eatin in the state anyway.....cept maybe moose.
Ahhh, Pierce Pond! My favorite place to fly fish particularly upper Pierce. Quite a few years back we camped at upper Pierce to fly fish and that was a hike but now we go through Cobb’s Camps to get lake access and cut through the thorough fair to get to upper Pierce. As for the deer hunting, yes it’s been sloowww for years. It’s going on 7 years now with no doe permits BUT I would say within the last 3 years the does are rebounding, been seeing them a lot this past summer. Hopefully another year or two MF&G will lift the band but I’m not holding my breath on that one!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mainehunter,

Got one today.....botched another, oh well. Used to spend lots of time in that country hunting, riding dirtbikes and fourwheelers. Spend most of my time east of the river and 201 now. Got a camp in the area and is not far from home. Im lucky!