New Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

New Model 71

Post by elmo123 »

Hello, Does anyone know when USRA is going to start making the new Model 71's?

Thanks, Mike
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Model 71

Post by mod71alaska »

elmo123 wrote:Hello, Does anyone know when USRA is going to start making the new Model 71's?

Thanks, Mike
Welcome to the LGF, Mike! I haven't seen you before. You'll find lots of solid information and free advise here, and advise won't always be solicited.... :lol:

Well, I might as well start out with some unsolicited advise. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to look into buying a Browning Winchester 71 or an original 71 before you buy that new Winchester. I don't have the opportunity right now to give you all the whys and wherefores other than to say i have owned several Brownings and original Winchester 71s and i canT imagine the new "lawyered up" 71s coming even close. Perhaps others can chime in here.

Again, a warm welcome to our campfire!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

WELCOME TO LEVERGUNS!!!!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

elmo123 wrote:Hello, Does anyone know when USRA is going to start making the new Model 71's?
Thanks, Mike
Image Mike. Welcome to THE Forum.

You mean these?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I strongly second mod71alaska's input to go for an original or one (the Miroku-Browning) that was built to replicate the original without all the half-a?&ed lawyer-ization.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I thought USRA folded and FN now is using the Winchester name.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I would be really excited about Winchester bringing another run of these to the market (well, I am in a way, because I hope it means that there will be a bump in ammo and brass availability) except I can see it has the tang safety and rebounding hammer.

At first I did not mind these features too greatly, though they offended me a bit when I looked at them, but then I found that the rebounding hammer could cause misfires on the 1886, and I have always been against any "safety" that allows the hammer to fall - it is dangerous if you are facing something dangerous.

I just removed both the rebounding hammer and tang safety on my 1886 EL, and am about to remove them on my 1895 SRC.

Because the 71 is an improved '86, I would worry about reliability on the new ones.

As others have said, get an original or a Browning.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have several of the other models with the rebounding hammer and I have never had a problem with misfires. I just checked the Winchester Ammunition website and they don't list the 348 as a loaded round anymore. They still list empty casings for reloading but who knows for how much longer. If Winchester is not making ammunition I doubt that there will be any rifles manufactured.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

44-40 Willy wrote:I thought USRA folded and FN now is using the Winchester name.
Same bunch of nincompoops. FN had actually bailed USRA out back in the 90s, taking a partial interest in ownership, and USRA struggled along trying to make the guns in the old factory. Finally, in 2006 they bailed on that, and Browning (also owned by FN), took over the product line thru their affiliation with Miroku, (also partially owned by FN). But, IIRC, they are still being marketed under the name USRA, they just aren't producing the guns in the old Winchester factory.

IMNSHO, they still haven't built a PROPER mdl 94 since 1982, regardless of how well they shoot or how nice they look. Others will say 1964. Change, whatcha gonna do without it?
elmo123 wrote:I have several of the other models with the rebounding hammer and I have never had a problem with misfires. I just checked the Winchester Ammunition website and they don't list the 348 as a loaded round anymore. They still list empty casings for reloading but who knows for how much longer. If Winchester is not making ammunition I doubt that there will be any rifles manufactured.
Winchester ammunition is produced in lots, regardless of whether there are rifles being made. How much they'll produce is sometimes affected by that... but for basically obsolete calibers, they get run only so often. Same with the brass. It's been several years since they produced any .32-40 ammo (or brass), but I figure they will eventually, meanwhile I scrounge around as best I can!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I just checked Natchez Shooters Supplies website and the brass is listed as out of stock no longer available. Then I called Davidson's and they told me that the rifles were on order but no estimated date of arrival. Oh well I have enough rifles anyway, well maybe just one more but probably not a model 71.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One correction Griff - 63. :)

But I like the Winchester 94s I have and they are all 85-05. All shoot fine and no problems. I always stand up for the guns I like.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The only newer 94 I had problems with was a Big Bore 94 in 307. Every once in a while it would misfire. The others, 1895,1892,1886 & 94's have been trouble free. I have some older 92's and 94's that are fine rifles. I would like to add a new 71 to the collection but I don't think that is going to happen. If you can't shoot it I don't want it.

Mike
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

elmo,
I suspect that amongst the membership here you'd be able to cobble together either components or loaded ammo. There are a lot of hoarders here :). Get the rifle if you want it, and then let the ammunition scavenger hunt begin.....
Chad
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

elmo123 wrote:I would like to add a new 71 to the collection but I don't think that is going to happen. If you can't shoot it I don't want it.

Mike
Mike, if you want to buy a 71 but are hesitating because you are having a hard time finding .348 ammo and components, I have extra ammo and brass I'll sell you. I'm sure other Levergunners here will offer to sell you bullets. PM me.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Thanks for the offer and if the rifles become available I will probably take you up on your offer. I don't think they will become available because no one is making ammunition.

Mike