Browning 1886 sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 1886 sights

Post by veeman »

I have a Browning 1886 SRC that i really like, all except the sights. Does anyone know if the 86 Rifle sights will fit on the carbine? Or any other brand of sights. I like the the buckhorns sights the most, never relly bonded with tangs sights. Thanks.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 sights

Post by Pete44ru »

Being able to fit (the rifle sights will fit the carbine) is one thing - being able to zero the carbine with the rifle sight installed is another, since AFAIK the respective sight's heights differ.

BTW - if you're at all interested in a receiver peep sight, more than a few 1886/86's have been fitted with an XS peep sight via D/T one hole atop the rear part of each receiver sidewall to mount the sight.
A taller front sight will be needed, though, due to the much higher line-of-sight that the XS presents - an excellent opportunity to also switch out the front sight type for another you may like better than the issue front sight. (XS makes/sells peep/front sight kits for the 1886/86).

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

PM'd you
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the rifle sights are too long, the dovetail on the carbines is closer to the receiver. Marbles makes a short tang barrel sight intended for that purpose though.

I prefer this option,

Classier looking than the XS sights, and no need to change the front sight if you don't want to. The commony available sights of today also work well, the Williams Foolproof, and Lyman 66.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

On my M71 I replaced the original rear sight to a Husqvarna sight with flat top and a u-notch. It has a much clearer vision and is easier to use than the original "Mickey-Mouse-style" with deep V-notch, where the front bead is difficult to distinguish, and is hard to use with 50+ eyes. The Husqvarna sight is also not too much out of style.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF