Lever action speed loader

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Lever action speed loader

Post by MikeS. »

Here is a link to a pretty slick way of loading a Lever gun. I'm gonna try this.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/rubiconspeedloader.htm
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

Here's a similar device in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-tbT3iSvGM
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool! Project ideas!!! 8) :D 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back in the early days of CAS, a couple of guys showed up with a version of those... they were declared "illegal" for competition, so I've never had a reason to make one. For team events, especially at matches like the "National Shootout" in Raton put on by OWSA, you may have 2 or 3 rifle reloads, just to take out the targets, they'd be imminently practical. If not just darn convenient.

While they're illegal in CAS, there's plenty of other uses for them. Just plinking for example. And for practice sessions, they'd also be almost indespensible.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

They look pretty slick. I've been surprised how many lever gun shooters aren't acquainted with the correct method of loading tube magazines - instert each cartridge up to the rim and continue doing so until the max number for that magazine is reached. I've known so many that completely insert cartridges - which requires having to overcome the spring of the loading gate for each cartridge.

:D
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OJ wrote:They look pretty slick. I've been surprised how many lever gun shooters aren't acquainted with the correct method of loading tube magazines - instert each cartridge up to the rim and continue doing so until the max number for that magazine is reached. I've known so many that completely insert cartridges - which requires having to overcome the spring of the loading gate for each cartridge.

OJ, if you think watching some folks clumsally loading lever actions is surprising, just watch some time when they're loading single action revolvers. Most people just have no idea.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

That's really cool. I'll have to rig one up.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

OJ wrote:They look pretty slick. I've been surprised how many lever gun shooters aren't acquainted with the correct method of loading tube magazines - instert each cartridge up to the rim and continue doing so until the max number for that magazine is reached. I've known so many that completely insert cartridges - which requires having to overcome the spring of the loading gate for each cartridge.

Don't forget that it save a little wear and tear on our thumbs too :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

J Miller wrote:

OJ, if you think watching some folks clumsally loading lever actions is surprising, just watch some time when they're loading single action revolvers. Most people just have no idea.

Joe
Joe,
I agree - matter of fact, a lot don't do much better with double actions either. Oh well, with experience comes age - :wink:

I keep a book in the biffy for serious reading - "OLD AGE COMES AT A BAD TIME".

JEEPS I sure agree with that too.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How come no whiz-bang gunsmiths out there have come up with an even better idea - detatchable tubular magazines. The only thing different than a regular magazine that side-feeds would be a means to keep the cartridges in until the tube was fully seated, but that seems like something any machinist could figure a way around.

I don't care so much about loading one fast - I just leave a few rounds in the main house gun all the time, but I DO sometimes wish it was easier and perhaps faster to unload a full levergun (without shooting it). Coming in from the cold, hands stiff, glasses fogged, and needing to pee, isn't a good time to be unloading 9 or 10 cartridges by cycling the action.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

J Miller wrote:

Joe
Hmmm. I open the loading gate, set the hammer at the notch that lets the cylinder rotate freely, turn the cylinder and stick 'em in. Never thought much about it. Haven't really done all that much single action shooting. Is that the correct way?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since it's generally accepted that the best, safest way to carry a SA six-gun is with five and the hammer down on a empty chamber, the procedure should be: open the loading gate, pull the hammer to half cock, load the chamber presented, skip the next, then load four. Then, without moving the cylinder, close the loading gate, pull the hammer back to full cock, then ease it down on the empty chamber. If you wish to verify you've done this right, keep the barrel pointed downrange, turn the gun on its side, and watch as you perform this last function, you will be able to see the empty chamber move into position under the hammer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!