.280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

.280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?

Post by kmittleman »

Hey Guys,

I know this isn't a levergun issue, but my father and I are going after Cow Elk in a few weeks and I have a velocity issue to sort out. I've been loading some Barnes 160gr TSX for my .280 rem and have been getting sub -moa groups with it. Problem is that after checking the chrony today, I saw that I was averaging 2180 fps (no wonder the recoil seemed so light). Seems too slow. My load has been 47 gr of H4831sc. How fast should I try to push those bullets for Cow Elk inside of 200 yds?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?

Post by RustyJr »

I have no experience with the 280 Remington. All mine is with the 270 Winchester. Looking at my Nosler reloading manual, they are listing a 160 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond at 2,792 fps with a MAX charge of 54 grains of H4831sc out of a 280 Remington.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: .280 rem / Barnes TSX / Velocity?

Post by kmittleman »

RustyJr wrote:I have no experience with the 280 Remington. All mine is with the 270 Winchester. Looking at my Nosler reloading manual, they are listing a 160 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond at 2,792 fps with a MAX charge of 54 grains of H4831sc out of a 280 Remington.

RustyJr

I've been using the Barnes Manual, but they say I should be getting around 200 fps more than what I'm getting.

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis