GF Grills

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

GF Grills

Post by dennie »

I did not want to hi-jack another posters thread on hot dogs and using the George Foreman grill, so I will ask here. Do you use the GF grill, or similar? Been thinking of getting one for several years. We grill a lot of steaks, burgers, dogs, mets, brats, fish, etc., year round, and when the temps outside get cold and the snow starts flying, I think of the inside grills a lot lately. :) Age, health, getting lazy, all helps with this. So, are they worth getting, and is the George Foreman the best? What is your experience?
Thanks.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: GF Grills

Post by J Miller »

We have two of them and have used them a lot. You will ( maybe not ) be amazed with the fat and oils that drain off of the meat you cook.
Some of the meat came out really tasty and others came out like ground up cardboard.

The biggest problem my wife just related to me is that the Teflon coating on the cooking surfaces wore off really fast. So now we have two grills, a George Foreman and a different brand with no anti-stick surface. That makes them harder to clean.

They do work and you can make a lot of things on them. I suppose we don't use ours as much as we should because as the oils and fats drain off the meat it sometimes it gets dry and difficult to eat. Not to mention tasteless.

Just our experiences, yours maybe different.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A friend would cook steak, good ones, on the GF. To me, it cooked too slow, and it would not quickly sear the outside nice and brown while leaving the inside pink and juicy. So, to have the outside nicely browned, the inside would cook far too much. I like my cast iron and some olive oil for inside grilling of decent meat.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

They work fine but you really should have an effective way of venting the cooking odors to the outside of your house. I use mine during the winter to do cheese sandwiches, bacon, chicken, hamburger, brats, hot dogs and steaks, but I put a fan in an open window to blow the smoke and smell to the outside.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My wife bought one years ago. After the initial love affair it sat in the garage for quite a while. I just brought it inside a month ago or so. After using it once, it has just been sitting. I'm about ready to put it back out on the shelf where it came from. The only thing I can really say about it is that when cooking burgers it does drain the grease off rather well.
There's nothing the GF Grill will do you can't do with a skillet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Grilling "INSIDE" the house??? I figure there are less than thirty days a year I couldn't cook outside if I wanted to. Of course, I guess I could haul my 100#+ charcoal smoker/grill inside and figure out a way to vent it outside, but I'd rather just wait a day or two for the rain to stop. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:Grilling "INSIDE" the house??? I figure there are less than thirty days a year I couldn't cook outside if I wanted to. Of course, I guess I could haul my 100#+ charcoal smoker/grill inside and figure out a way to vent it outside, but I'd rather just wait a day or two for the rain to stop. :twisted:
Bite me... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Lodge makes a nice cast iron grill pan. :wink: I'm not a fan of Teflon at least on cooking utensils.
That being said what's winter? 365 days a year I can cook outdoors, mostly use a gas grill (sin) unless a special occasion then I fire up my Weber using Hawaiian Kiawe wood which is mesquite. :mrgreen:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Sounds to me like since I have made it 66+ years without one, I can probably make it from here on out without one. Maybe use the money to buy a couple boxes of .45acp. :lol: Actually I kinda expected those replies. Come to think of it,I cannot think of anyone I know that uses one. Shoulda figured it out already. I am kinda envious of you guys that can cook outside year round with no problem. Not much fun here when it is below freezing outside, or below zero! Fortunately it does not get below zero too often here.
Thanx guys.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I gave one of my old girlfriends a charcol grill for Xmas one year . It was one of those things that looked like a pig piece of pipe on wheels .

That was Xmas of 98 I think . And in January or February of the following year we had a big snow storm that dumped about 12 inches on us PDQ and a day or two later we got the same . Got trapped at her house for maybe 4 days before the state got the roads open and when we went to town we got the staples !

1. Case of Bass Ale

2. Case of Pepsi

3. TP

4. 2 gallons ice cream

5. 3 bags charcol

Everyone else at the grocery store was grabbing eggs , bacon , bread and milk !
I got some funny looks going thru the check out line , but I had plenty venison steak , burger and sausage as well as other essentials there . Heck I was outside grilling while the snowstorm was happening the second time LOL's !

Never owend a George grill . We do have a JenAir range in the house that allows you to actually grill indoors , but I don't really care to use it .

Mostly anymore I use a big deep teflon frying pan with small amount Light Olive Oil and some Weber Chicago Steak Seasoning for steak , hamburgers , pork chops and boneless chicken breast !

My culinary skills at home since my mom passed are all about "speed , simplicity and palatability" !

And so far my pop hasn't complained to much LOL's !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

I got one of the two-sided griddle/press type grilles made by Cuisinart. I run it only on max heat.

It will cook small steaks, burgers or pork chops in three minutes flat (or less !) with a nice sear & char.
The only weakness is the fat runoff is not handled as nicely as the Foreman grills, this one is a
little awkward to get a cup under. But it's small, very hot and cleans up really quick.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

We’ve had a GF with removable plates. All we use it for is chicken – they always turn out moist. I use the waffle plates maybe 2 to 3 times a year
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm mostly with Joe on this one - Although the ads make them seem attractive & useful, in reality they suck.

My Green-eyed Monster bought one several years ago, and after using it a time or two, it's been sitting on a cellar shelf since.

It turned out to be an impulse buy............... :roll:

OTOH, we use a stove-top CI griddle almost every day, mostly for breakfasts (smooth side 4 pancakes, tortillas, omelets, French Toast, etc), but on rainy days for dinners (ridged side 4 steaks, chops, etc).

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hey, Ji just managed to combine the grilling and cast iron threads. And he's right, cast iron is a natural for cooking over charcoal or wood in a BBQ. The good thing about that big ole BBQ that Blaine hates me for having (or is it the weather :mrgreen: ) is that a dutch oven fits.

You guys do realize that the dutch oven was the original "crock pot". I have a recipe handed down from, at least my grandma, for some baked beans and pigs feet. You use molases (not always easy to find here anymore) and they turn out so tasty you could salivate to death waiting for them to finish baking.

Okay, now I know what's on the BBQ next weekend, if I can find the pigs feet.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My opinion is the food taste terrible from the GF type grills. I have one laying under the counter somewhere.