Best cast bullet and load for .35 Remington?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Best cast bullet and load for .35 Remington?

Post by Woodtroll »

Gentlemen,

I'm tinkering with the idea of casting for my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, since I cast for everything else that I shoot. What bullet do you find best (I'm looking hard at the RCBS 35-200-FN), and what load shoots most accurately? Intended use is plinking, large varmints, and deer (with the bullet cast out of softer lead for deer).

Thanks for your help! Regan
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

That bullet shoots really well out of my 336 .35 Rem. I buy them from Mt. Baldy but there are other quality casters, some are sponsers for this forum. I have found that 2495 and Varget to be good powder choices. I personally real like the Lyman M die and the Lee factory crimp die. Good luck. Let us know how you make out. 1886.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks, 1886! Do you find any stabilization problems at lower velocities with this bullet?

Take care, Regan
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Woodtroll,

How soft will you cast for deer hunting? and what MV will you load for with the softer bullet.
Just Curious,

Bob A
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I did not chrono the loads but 1900 fps muzzle velocity would be close. I cannot comment about reduced velocity stabilization. I cannot see why you would have any problems shooting this bullet at a reduced velocity as long as it obturates properly. Best of luck. 1886.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

Thanks again, 1886, I appreciate it!

Bob A, I can't definitely answer either of your questions, yet. I'm fishing for answers here, myself <G>. I figured 1750-1800 would be plenty, and had thought to try 20:1 alloy or wheelweights and soft lead in a 50/50 ratio. I am uncertain without testing a few loads. I shot a few deer with the Marlin .35 and factory loads (200 gr. Remington SP) years ago, but all of my hunting for the last 15 years or more has been with 30:1 paper patched 340 grain bullets in several .45-70s, mostly a Marlin 1895. That has been very effective for me, but I've always wanted to tinker with this .35, especially since reading how well they do with cast bullets.

Y'all take care! Regan