Shotgun Slugs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Shotgun Slugs

Post by mikld »

Let me first say I haven't shot a shotgun in many, many years, 95% of my shooting has been handguns and mebbe a few thousand rounds from my leverguns (.44 Magnum). I'm thinking of gettin a slide action shotgun and was wondering about slugs. Another post talks about "Rifled Slugs". Do the grooves/ridges on a 12 ga. slug really improve accuracy from a smooth bore? And what is considered "good" accuracy w/slugs from a smooth bore? I know some shotgun barrels are available with rifling for slugs, but how does the rifling affect buckshot loads? Questions may sound silly/stupid, but being an ex-city kid and most my shooting was handguns indoors, I just never thought much about shotguns... :?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shotgun Slugs

Post by vancelw »

The rifling will make shot and buckshot spiral. If you want to shoot both, get a smoothbore barrel and use rifled slugs (the most common and cheaper.) If you get a rifled barrel, you can use sabots like the higher end ammunition uses nowadays. Police model 870s that have rifle sights are smoothbore so buckshot works better.

I've never shot one for groups, but it easy to hit a 12 inch bullseye offhand at 100 yards with a rifled slug.

Let us know the result of your search. It's hard to beat a good Remington 870. I have 3.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I stopped using buckshot over 30 years ago, after losing a few deer that were still agile enough to get deep into a deepwater swamp, where they couldn't be tracked - despite being hit in the shoulder/chest.

Last year, my state finally saw the light too, and has now proscribed it for use on deer.

If you want a slide-action solely for deer hunting, I would suggest going one of two ways:

If optics are wanted/needed, get a gun that has a rifled barrel & a cantilever scope mount, then shoot whichever of the several dozen different sabot slug rounds proves the most accurate in what amounts to a .72 cal rifle. ;)

If open (rifle) sights are preferred, and/or if you'd also like to use the gun on small game, I'd suggest one of the smoothbore "deer" models that have rifle sights - using non-saboted "Foster" rifled slugs for deer.
In this category, Ithaca Deerslayer's (smoothbores w/rifle sights) are noted for their superior accuracy, mostly due to being bored somewhat undersize for their respective gauge(s).

FWIW, I have shot 2" groups @ 100yds with my 20ga Deerslayer, as has my friend with his 12ga twin - NP, hitting a 2x4 stuck in the ground a football field away.

DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

So-called "rifling" on slugs is not there to create spin or accuracy, it's there to allow the slug to swage down as needed though various chokes.

With the right combination of gun, load, and sights, 100-yard accuracy can be viable with a smoothbore.

Denis
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Remington 1100 12 gauge Brushmaster and a Remington 870 Bushmaster . Both were 12 gauge 2 3/4" and both had rifle sighted barrels of 20-22 inches . Neither was rifled . I tried the plain Winshester 12 gauge 2 3/4" Foster style slug in both of them at 50 yards . Both would keep 5 at that distance in a coffee can lid .

"Supposedly" the Winchester Foster slugs are supposed to be larger in diameter then the comparable Remington or Federal slugs . i dunno if this is fact or fiction , I do however know they shot what I consider well in the 1100 and 870 I had .

Brenneke has been making their version slug for well over 60 years and I've also had good luck on paper with them from a slug gun .

Personally if it were me buying a shotgun expressly for hunting deer I'd get one with a rifled barrel and use a sabot slug .

The H&R DeLuxe 12 gauge or 20 gauge would be fine . I had a couple of the 20's and they both shot very well at 100 yards , but they were scoped of course .

At he moment I own a pair of Savage bolt action rifled slug guns in 12 gauge and 20 gauge . Both of these are accurate . typically one can expect to shot 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 1 1/2" range . To me the biggest asset of the rifled/sabot option is the added yardage . I've tried them both out to 200 yards on paper . And would have to say for me 150 yards is about max distance for shots at a deer with my two rifled sluggers.

As to gauge I think most people if able to shoot both will like the 20 gauge more . And to be honest I've killed deer at further distance then I have with the 12 gauge .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would go along with Craig. The Savage bolt guns have a great rep for accuracy. IIRC it is the model 220.

I have a rifled slug barrel for my Winchester 120. I bought a quantity of Brenneke Black Magic slug cartridges for this and an old Mossberg made Montgomery Wards gun (a smoothbore) that I've since given to somebody who needs it more than I do. Even that old Mossberg would keep a mix of foster type slugs and the BRIs on a pie plate at 50 yards.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

As has been said, the ridges on a Foster-type slug do not impart spin; they are there to stabilize the slug, theoretically, by centering it in the unchoked section of the bore and allowing it to then easily squeeze down through any choke. My Chinese clone 870, which has an imrpoved cylinder choke and a Tasco red dot sight, will put Remington "Slugger" loads in to a group I can cover with my hand at 100 yards.

Now, there are other types of slugs, some of them designed specifically for use in rifled shotguns. Their accuracy can be stunningly good. But the cheapo Wal Mart loads in a plain ol' smoothbore can do quite well.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I grew up hunting deer with a shotgun - in a shotgun only county of va. at that time rifled shotgun barrels were not common, so we used smooth cylinder bore pump guns with rifle sights. We had much better luck with the breneke slugs than the 'regular' rifled slugs - and never recovered one - those will shoot end to end through a deer.

If I were to buy a new shotgun for deer hunting today, I would either get the Savage Bolt or the H&R deluxe slug gun (both in 12ga) - but I would definitely get a rifled barrel. If I bought the H&R I would also get a longer non-rifled 12ga barrel for it for buckshot or turkey hunting use.

As for the use of buckshot vs/ slugs. Buckshot is useful if you know that the shots will be close (bow range) and that the deer will most likely be running - so if you are driving deer with dogs or people. Other than that, if you are just stand hunting and the deer are not likely to be running, stick with the slugs.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

If you have a shotgun, try what you've got.
You may be surprised.
My Dad's old full choked J. C. Higgins model 20 (High Standard 120) is dead on at 40 yards, sighting with the groves in the receiver and the front bead. It will shoot clover leafs with Federal 1 oz. slugs.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

H&R makes a couple of good rifled slug guns. They are single shots, but that doesn't bother me. I want one shot exactly where I point the gun. I use super heavy full size slugs that are fitted to the bore, and can produce rifle like accuracy (At least handi rifle like accuracy). Particularly with a gun that recoils heavily, and has less than stellar accuracy, the last thing I want is more lead in the air. Sounds more like conventional shotgunning, throwing a pattern, except it would be a pattern with poor coverage.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Question

1)------Yes
2)----3" @ 50yds 6" @ 100yds---------though some will do better(much better)
3)----most I have talked to say "if you have a rifled barrel (it's because you want to shoot sabots for ultimate accuracy)----Don't shoot shot in them.

Though, you know I am going to yap about getting a fine old smoothbore 20" deerslayer(so ,enough of that)

If you are looking for a gun that will be used to hunt game(say like a deer out to 100yds etc.)as well as having it do double/triple duty for small game/HD

Another option would be a Remington 870 Express Combo package(slug barrel and shot barrel)
If you are going to shoot stuff further than 100yds(get the slug barrel in that combo package rifled)

If it woods hunting(a good rifle sighted/or scoped smoothbore will do ya)

Besides it just kinda cool using a smoothbore with them big ribbed slugs.

If I have a choice---------give me the 12ga(cause I can always use low recoil loads as an option)

I like pumps/I like open rifle sighted 20" slug barrels in the woods w/light gathering fully adj rifle sights.
Want a gun that easy carrying/fast/both to sight and to shoot.
Now, for the shot barrel(26" is just fine/vent rib/adjustable choke tubes etc.)

Just a matter of preference(which we all have)but if I am going to carry a long rifle barreled bolt gun---gonna be my 7MM :D

But honestly if I want a rifled barreled shotgun(for me)--------------------------and I bet that would shoot darn good!
And because you are getting both barrels(if you don't mind spending double on shells)probably most would opt for the rifled barrel
If you want the smooth barrel combo I belive its item# 5571 (only about $10 cheaper)below shows the rifled slug combo
and yes with the right sabots/sights/your ability---------200yds-------very doable with that.
Basically you have a .50cal rifle :wink:
http://www.slickguns.com/product/reming ... rsfr-45433

Good Luck
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've been messing around with various slug/barrel combos for the past month. Yesterday I discovered that the Winchester 1 oz. 1600 fps foster type slug shoots 3" or less groups at 50 yards - using a rifled choke tube! Most if the internet chatter will lead you to believe that rifle chokes are for sabots only. This combo shrinks the group from 5" to 3" compared to various non-rifled choke constrictions. Interestingly, the Remington Buckhammer 1.25 oz load 1550 fps (which is a sabot) shoots 1" higher with correct windage at 50 yds using the same rifle choke tube. This adds some versatility in what I can shoot to the sights on this gun. With slugs you definitely have to experiment. Right now even the best loads I have found are great at 50 yards but I would not use them on game past 75 yards. My only intention is to use it on hogs in a heavily wooded area from a stand where the longest shot is less than 50 yards and more likely only 20 yards. Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sorry fellers, I didn't mention I don't want a shotgun for hunting, and my Home Defence is covered with a few handguns. I want a shotgun just 'cause I don't have one and I want one. I figgered an inexpensive pump, mebbe short bbl. w/sights; just something to blow away paper Zombies and have fun with (plus Dec. 21 is comming up quick). I reload for everything else I shoot so I'll prolly get into reloading for a shotgun too.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Considering your last post I like the BPS Upland Special. I need a shotgun, seriously, and this is it some day. The biggest question for me is 12 or 20 gauge. Straight stock, bottom eject for a lefty, choke tubes, all steel and wood. Grizzly to grouse in a pinch.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 12&tid=216
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

OK----Now we got ya!

Hey, I got it(this is the one)

Super Cool gun/built like a tank/short/fast/rifle sights------and you will be different! and s/b under $300

Now, think about this---First you need to please look up Dixie TriBall Load and their Dixie IXL-DGS load!
Besides the normal stuff---shot/slugs etc.
Can even shoot some skeet/birds with it. As well as deer/bear/dinosaurs.

Yep-----for you------------The (OUTBACK) Very high cool/fun :mrgreen:
Everything else----is just a plain shotgun :D
Check out below(also on the first bottom one where additional other videos can be seen to the right)by other people there is one that says gun falls apart when shooting etc.(the idiot presses/releases the forearm latch while working the lever :lol: :roll:
His fault,has nothing to do with gun---I have a uplander one of these and they are bullet proof
That video should have read "dummy don't know how to work gun"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFK-nIu_ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGAYoBqWSY
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Here in Iowa we are a shotgun only state (handguns and muzzleloaders allowed also). Being such I've had the opprotunity to use and try many options and I can tell you right now you couldn't pay me to use a rifled barrel and sabot slugs. As stated a good smoothbore will get you out to 100 yards and I have a real issue paying $10-$14 for 5 sabots. Aparently all my buddies that do own rifled barrels agree with me, they've all switched back to shooting cheaper foster slugs thru em too.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I own two slug barrels for my Mossberg. First one is smooth bore and second is fully rifled for sabots. My slug gun kicks real bad. Doesn't matter which ammo or barrel is used. The vicious recoil convinced me to seek other options.

Currently. I hunt with a modern CVA Optima muzzle-loader instead of shotgun. The 50 caliber bullet really slays 'em without the hefty kick to the shoulder. Wish I'd looked into this years earlier.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!