levergun shots fired, and then some

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

levergun shots fired, and then some

Post by Grizz »

Picked up a shooter friend and took the Marlin 39 Century LTD, (sounds like a detroit car), with some other stuff to the multi-use recreational national forest today.

Some will remember that I had installed a bullseye rear sight on the Marlin. We got some good gong time in. Got bored so moved back and started needing to concentrate. Love shooting that gun and I could let every other rifle but that one go. It'll make plenty of meat if need be and do it cheaply and quietly. There was lots of trash left by others to ventilate.

After that we transitioned to the chicom 870 clone that I put an ATI collapsible stock on. First outing with the new stock. Love the short LOP. Love the ghost ring and blade combo. Love the effect, er, the EFFECT. We ran some birdshot thru it just for fun. Ran a buckshot round that had a wax buffer. It seemed to hold the pattern together pretty well. Shot some more 22.

Then I loaded a reduced recoil 1 oz 2-3/4 1200 fps slug and a similar 1600 fps slug in the mag and whacked the gong. The reduced recoil was just about the same recoil as the bird shot, negligible. The slug did its obligatory bounce down off of the plate. Then I whacked it with the 1600 fps load and there was a palpable difference in the plate behavior. It was backed by a stump and it bounced pretty hard. The slug left a depression in the 1/2 inch stainless disc with a pattern in it that was mirrored on the face of the slug my friend found glinting in the sun. Not my first choice for a bear territory carry load, but not a bad runner up. A hard cast wide meplat slug of that weight would have my complete confidence.

Back to the Marlin for some plinking and a coffee break. Then I got the LCP out and pinged the plate. Gave the other guy some coaching, he's not experienced with handguns, and let him try. It's fun and easy plinking. So more .22 and then I ran some #4 shot thru chicom. A lot of fun because the slugs and the shot all seem to go where the sights are lined up when they exit. Then some more Marlin time.

After coffee and gatorade to restore whatever I put the 13 rnd mag in XD and fired off the 230 gr ball ammo. Standing off hand. Let the other guy have a go and he was pushing so bullets were landing to the left and down. I tried to explain the trigger and how to feel it thru but it's hard to coach that sometimes. Not enough trigger time for him to get to the 'ahaa' moment.

More 12 ga, more 22, and then I sat down with XD and tried to really see the sights. The trigger is erratic, but at about 11 yards, or the length of a large room, I missed the gong once in two mags, about 21 rounds. I could feel resistance and take up on some shots, and a smooth glass like almost 1911 style break on others. But by concentrating I could see the sight picture at discharge every time and keep the hold thru the follow thru. SO MUCH FUN. Don't know if I'll put in a new trigger or not. Whadya think?

Then I put the last 4 bird loads in chicom and engaged the gong from the waist. Very good feel and very low recoil effect. Two direct hits and two close calls. I'm definitely planning to put a laser sight on it. It's perfect from the hip and the little dot will be great at any house distance. No need to shoulder and look for sights. I like the way the shortened stock allows me to keep the barrel in close. While I'm at it I plan to put a laser on the XD for in house use.

What a combo, 45 ACP and 12 GA, with a Marlin 39 meat gun.

Wish the rest of y'all could have enjoyed a perfect day in our national forest with us.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: levergun shots fired, and then some

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Everyday with a friend out shooting or hunting is a day well spent...
Mike in ILL.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

missionary5155 wrote:Greetings
Everyday with a friend out shooting or hunting is a day well spent...
Mike in ILL.
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

A shotgun, a rifle, and a four-tee-five,
Country folks will survive!

(With apologies to Hank Jr.)
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: levergun shots fired PICTURE UPDATE

Post by Grizz »

Here's a picture of the slug bit we recovered. It weighs 0.4 oz for a 60% weight loss.

From this I gather I should not be using soft lead to stop stainless steel disks traveling
toward me at 1600 fps.

The most interesting thing to me is that the pattern of stress cracks in the steel is
molded into the face of the slug, and the lead looks almost molten in places.

Fun stuff. I'm looking for a hard cast slug that will fit into a shot cup, if anyone
has that info.

Also interested in what you do to make cast lead hard cast. I have a #1 buck mold
and want to cast hard shot as well as a hard slug.

Need input.
Thanks
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

I am NOT skilled in casting, but I know enough to tell you that harder lead alloys start by adding 4% to 6% of the metal Antimony. The most extreme hardnesses use up tp 30% Antimony.

http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for that link.