Heavy 45 acp loads for woods work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Heavy 45 acp loads for woods work

Post by rjohns94 »

Buffalo bore has some +P 255gr SWC loads that shoot pretty well in my Nighthawk GRP 1911. Are you aware of any others out there available with similar loadings? These run over 900 fps and in the 450 ft/lbs range for energy. I am thinking more than enough for deer size critters with proper shot placement. I am also of the mind set that hard cast are better than hollow points for deer in this caliber and shooting platform.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Re: Heavy 45 acp loads for woods work

Post by Hobie »

Does PA now allow semi-autos?

I would think that you could certainly use that or a similar load. I load the 250 gr. Keith in .45 AR cases for such opportunistic use in my 25-2. I don't know that bullet would work so well in the ACP case... Interesting question. I think it was John Taffin who wrote an article on heavy bullet loads for the ACP.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have taken several whitetail deer with a Colt Gold Cup some years back. I used a handload of Lyman 452423 over a dose of Bullseye for a velocity of about 825 fps. There was through and through penetration of the deer with that Keith type bullet.

These particular bullets were cast from straight linotype and weighted in at 230 grains. The same bullet from air cooled wheelweight metal will run about 242 grains.

Sundles produces some good stuff, but I want not want to shoot many 255 grain bullets going 900 fps out of a good 1911 I cared to have for a long time. But they will certainly kill deer like the hammer of Thor.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Never tried any factory ammo like that, but I've loaded the 250 gr. LEE RFN in my 45 acp up to 875 fps. It's very accurate and feeds slick in my Springfield. I did add a heavier recoil spring and frame buffer.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charles wrote:I have taken several whitetail deer with a Colt Gold Cup some years back. I used a handload of Lyman 452423 over a dose of Bullseye for a velocity of about 825 fps. There was through and through penetration of the deer with that Keith type bullet.

These particular bullets were cast from straight linotype and weighted in at 230 grains. The same bullet from air cooled wheelweight metal will run about 242 grains.

Sundles produces some good stuff, but I want not want to shoot many 255 grain bullets going 900 fps out of a good 1911 I cared to have for a long time. But they will certainly kill deer like the hammer of Thor.
That is about what my .45 AR load does.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I loaded some Lyman 452424 bullets in ACP cases years ago (early 80's?), they worked fine in the stock Colt Combat Commander I had then. I read about them in a magazine somewhere. I dont recall the exact load, but I think it was 6 grs Unique. Does anyone have the load with Unique that runs about 850 fps or so with that bullet, or have data as to what 6 grs Unique does with that bullet in ACP cases? It runs about 255 grs. I'd like to load some more.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I assume you are talking about the 45 ACP in a revolver as we all know the laws here in Pa. I have shot lots of SWC's in 45 ACP and auto rim up to the 250 Lyman/Keith over an unrememberable amount of Unique. Never shot any soft flesh with them but I would feel confident the performance would be fine up to deer.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have an ACP load that required upping the weight of the mainspring to 21# and adding a buffer to keep the frame from being battered to death... but it was the only ACP load I'd carry in the Alaskan Bush.

I'll try to dig it out...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Ironsights wrote:I have an ACP load that required upping the weight of the mainspring to 21# and adding a buffer to keep the frame from being battered to death... but it was the only ACP load I'd carry in the Alaskan Bush.

I'm interested in an Alaska load also. I wonder how it'd do in an XD?

Grizz
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

On our smallish Black Tail out here, I can't imagine a standard 230FMJ, or SP not being adequate with a fifty yard limit on shooting.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i'm carrying my Glock 30SF in .45acp when i go hunting this year. with the Glock barrel i'm limited to hardball for the woods, but plan on getting a replacement barrel next year to shoot lead--thanks for for the thread...got me thinking... :)
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

In the past, I've used a 255 SWC over the max charge of Blue Dot for 800-850 fps, depending on the gun. I shot a 400 pound domestic hog (owner wanted it kilt) with that load and it drove the 255 right across the shoulders for 15 inches, bone gristle and all. Bullet looked like you had pounded the point on a sidewalk.

I'm using a 230 grain lead flat point load these days.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/missour ... e-45-auto/

The bullet has a decent meplat, the load shoots well and and right to sights, unlike the 255 grain load. I'm certain it will poke through a deer from about any angle and in a pinch, it'd do against cougar or smaller bears.. If I was hanging in Big-Bear-Bitey-Buttoff country, I'd be packing my Old Vaquero stoked with 335 SWC's over a good dose of 296.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:I have an ACP load that required upping the weight of the mainspring to 21# and adding a buffer to keep the frame from being battered to death... but it was the only ACP load I'd carry in the Alaskan Bush.

I'm interested in an Alaska load also. I wonder how it'd do in an XD?

Grizz
It might take a while to find... Last time I loaded for it was 1992 and 5 moves ago. I seem to recall seeing the data sheet last time I straightened the shop, but can't find it immediately... :oops:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I owned a Series 70 Colt. I never figured it for big bear. That is 444 territory or heavy 12 gauge slugs. Standard heavy 230 gr loads would batter that gun a bit. Deer and blackies up close would be ok but I'm not sure of the big bears or even a rutting bull or angry cow moose.

I think I would want a rock solid 44 Mag revolver in a heavy frame loaded real stout in Alaska. The 444 guys like the Swift partitions and a big flat hard lead bullet would deliver some real smack.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Bob just made the point I was going to. Heavy loads in a 1911 may stand in as woods loads, but I prefer a revolver for all outdoors use, (or other use for that matter). There simply isnt any reason for me to use a 45 auto in the woods when I have far superior tools in the revolvers I have, and no problem or question with loads, which are far superior. I've simply never shot an auto, any auto, as well as I can a revolver. I like the 1911, and used to shoot them a fair amount, but it isn't my first choice for any purpose, just a recreational plinker for me. Heavy loads are more of an academic exercise than anything. I was thinking about that watching this thread, then realized I wouldn't ever choose to take the 1911 out in the hills when I had a revolver at hand. YMMV, just my 2c. :mrgreen:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a hard cast 225 lead bullet that I load to ball velocity. I forget the specifics. I prefer that for 45 outdoors. In WA land I think it's probably effective enough. In SE Alaska I prefer my Redhawk with heavy metal. But I might carry the XD for an extra sidearm. And of course the ever present 12ga.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Used 454424 with W231, don't remember charge offhand, but it feed and shot great. Did leave a pretty good ridge on case though for as far into the case it went.

Byron
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, nope, can't use the 1911 here in pa for hunting. But that in no way deters me from considering using my 1911 for woods walking this year. My Nighthawk is already to go for the +P loads with the recoil spring and the shock buffers.

I have always carried a revolver in the woods and I have a 44 mag that would be a better choice for deer or general hunting handgun, but that wasn't really the point for asking. I made a financial decision and inventory consolidation to focus my handguns around a couple of great platforms. The nighthawk is just one of those. I'm carrying it almost every day, using it as my beside gun and plan on carrying it with shot shells, personal defense rounds, and heavy hard cast loads while in the woods. It is not my primary hunting handgun, would not be my first choice for one, but I want to know about the available loads.

Would love to hear more about some of your favorite loads. Thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Buffalo bore ammo: 255 hard cast, 925 fps, 484 ft-lbs of energy.
Mike Johnson,

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rjohns94 wrote:Hobie, nope, can't use the 1911 here in pa for hunting. But that in no way deters me from considering using my 1911 for woods walking this year. My Nighthawk is already to go for the +P loads with the recoil spring and the shock buffers.

I have always carried a revolver in the woods and I have a 44 mag that would be a better choice for deer or general hunting handgun, but that wasn't really the point for asking. I made a financial decision and inventory consolidation to focus my handguns around a couple of great platforms. The nighthawk is just one of those. I'm carrying it almost every day, using it as my beside gun and plan on carrying it with shot shells, personal defense rounds, and heavy hard cast loads while in the woods. It is not my primary hunting handgun, would not be my first choice for one, but I want to know about the available loads.

Would love to hear more about some of your favorite loads. Thanks.
Just wondering if I'd missed something. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... cts_id=650
If you buy the 50 rd pack(you almost get 10 for free)

and-----for the two legged baddies to and from the woods---- (something a little different) :wink:
Every pull of the trigger is getting hit with a .45 ACP 185JHP(AND)a 70gr hardcast projectile (.450 meplate)(each shot)both simultaneously hitting 1" apart at 7yds.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalo ... cts_id=658

I have found the DoubleTap stuff to be very good stuff!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I guess I have used the 200gr cast lead semi-wadcutter more then any other load. I like those better then 230 hard ball, but maybe a little heavier Keith semi-wadcutter would be better for game or defense against something that bites back, but then again, I would probably choose at least a 44mag for that, on purpose. However, I have carried a 1911 with the 200gr cast semi-wadcutters in black bear country because that is what I had and had confidence in as far my gun cycling 100%.

I did shoot a small deer with a 200gr hollowpoint, in the lung one time, and I guess It worked but I wasn't that impressed. It was out of a commander length barrel at about 30yds. I doubt the hollow point even opened up, so that is why I would in this case stay with a 5 inch barrel and a cast lead bullet with a flat nose on it.
NRA Life Member, Patron