EBR FEVER Finally Hit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

EBR FEVER Finally Hit

Post by dennie »

I know this is a levergun forum, but since it is my favorite forum, I am asking the folks with EBR savvy a few questions. I am retired and on a budget that does not include the $1000+
rifles. Recently Gunblast.com had a review of the Del-Ton DT Sport. I belive it was around $600. Since I do not plan on hanging all the gimmicks, and a portable outhouse on the thing this seems to be something I could enjoy, and at an affordable price range. It would be used for plinking, varmints, and possible HD. I have several long guns but having common ammo with friends and neighbors is also an issue. Any thoughts on this gun, or similar ones? I have only shot 2 different ARs, but other than the recoil in the stock sounding kinda like someone throwing an old spring down a sewer pipe, they seemed OK. Plus I like the very mild recoil due to some health issues. Anyway, yes, no, maybe, don't care, like to hear from you. Will likely reload for it after awhile. Would also like about 10 extra mags for it. Which mags do you recommend? Favorite reloads?
Thanks, dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Hobie

Re: EBR FEVER Finally Hit

Post by Hobie »

Do not doubt Jeff or Boge. I have not had the first problem with my DELTON gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Another I can recommend after long experience, and in the same price range, is the Olympic Arms Plinker. Very basic rifle, but solid.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I picked up a DPMS basic ar-15 for about the same price...
Brownells for mags.... The 20's are on sale now and then....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2122 ... -MAGAZINES

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Take a look at some of the guns made by Windham. Made in the old Bushmaster plant by former Bushmaster employees. Nice guns and a good price point. VERY pleased with mine.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/

Chris
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Consider this - from what I've read on the "AR-15 forum" there are only a half-dozen or less makers of the receivers, and even the 'big name' manufacturers use those sources and just have their logos put on them.

ALSO consider that the "gun" is merely the lower (serial-numbered part), so you can get THAT for anywhere from $69.95 to twice that for a really good name lower (or zillions if you want some titanium match-unit).

Therefore, if you're on a budget, you can get your foot in the door on a good quality AR for around a hundred bucks.

Parts kits and so on don't cost all that much, and competition keeps prices down, so you can get all that and 'part out your gun' to the configuration you like. Most people get an 'upper' with the barrel and upper and bolt-carrier and bolt all together, but getting even those separately can save big bucks sometimes, depending on what you want to wind up with.

Assembling your DPMS lower and Bushmaster barrel and S&W upper and CheaperThanDirt spring and buffer kit and MagPul stock (or whatever) is a 'kitchen-table' project that will take you less than an hour, AND in the process you'll learn lots of practical stuff about the mechanics and design of the gun. You'll see which tiny parts you may want spares of, and so on.

You MIGHT save enough money doing this to buy a second (or third) 'lower' to keep on hand for trading or for 'parting out' later to offset the cost of the first one you completed.

Just food for thought.

If you just go for the completed-gun route, I've really liked Bushmaster and DPMS.

If you want to do half-and-half as far as completion, you might want to look on-line for DPMS uppers, whatever brand you want of pins/springs/stocks/etc., and just get a 'lower' from your neighborhood gun store or BudsGunShop.com. If you want a better-than-average trigger group you can do that, but I've found most of them are pretty good. I do like the 'trapdoor' pistol-grips so you can store a small-parts-kit in them, and I do like the 'anti-rattle' little rubber things you stick under the rear receiver pins. I also prefer metal free-float handguards without all the rails, but some of the ones with 'all the rails' are actually perforated more for better ventilation and are also therefore lighter weight.

Whether you get the flat-top or 'carry-handle' upper and whether or not you get a front-sight on your barrel or just a flat gas-block, is all stuff you can decide, REGARDLESS of what brand of lower you choose; I like the regular old carry-handle and front sight, but DO like the 'crosshair' replacement front sight posts.

The only problem I have had in such things is you DO want to be sure that your buffer-tube and stock are compatable - evidently there are two slightly different diameters. MidwayUSA.com states the diameter on their website.

Whatever you do, good luck with your project; AR's are kind of the "10/22 of the centefire world", and fun to swap parts with and make into very different firearms - kind of like a semiauto version of a Contender Carbine. Sounds like you'll want a .223 if you're desiring ammo compatability, but later on you can get an upper in .300 Blackout, .50 Beowulf, or even a single-shot one in .338 Lapua, or dozens of other big and small, loud and quiet, options.

And I wholeheartedly AGREE with you about the 'sproingy' sound coming from the stock - it drives me nuts...! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I put a Delton upper on a Plum Crazy lower.I am very satisfied with it and have had absolutely no problems and excellent accuracy.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

If the Quinns and Hobie vouch for Del-Ton, I'm sure they're just fine. Sometimes Smith & Wesson has one of their AR-15s on sale at a great price and they make good rifles also. My cheap AR is a DPMS M4 clone that's about seven years old and it works just fine - goes bang every single time and I've not had any issues in thousands of rounds but DPMS doesn't seem to get any respect.

There are some springs and buffers out there that are designed to get rid of that "spring falling down a sewer pipe" sound, so keep that thought in mind.

Lastly, the 20" standard rifle length ARs seem to be really cheap these days. Market whims can be your friend! I actually prefer a full sized AR to the little carbines.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Wow, thanks for all the replies already! Looks like I have some decisions to make here soon.
'sproingy', I like that, not the sound, the word! :lol:
There is a new gun shop about 5 minutes from here. I may make a trip there today. Also, AIMSURPLUS is only about 35 minutes away. Choices choices.
dennie
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Look at The S&W MP sport too... Very nice rifle for a good price. Got one and love it !!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

wilko wrote:Look at The S&W MP sport too... Very nice rifle for a good price. Got one and love it !!!
Yes, It's a whole lot of rifle, without bells & whistles, for about $700.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Del Ton is good to go for your uses for sure (mine too - i have 2 of them -- one a complete mid length , and the other is a lower receiver that is the base for another rifle )

--- the best magazines are MAgpul's P-mags . They are equivalently priced to the aluminum GI style mags , but are almost indestructible and have an anti-tilt follower in them standard---

wasn't a bad price on the mags from Brownells, but i didnt see the ad mention anti-tilt follower but it does say "latest military type follower" -- so those should be alright as well.
----- Doug
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

You may want to check a Wal-Mart store in your area. Mine offers, Colt's M-4 style, Sig Sauer Enhanced, M-4 Style and DPMS M-4 style. The last two go for just under 1,000 dollars. If they will have them check their warehouse or supply chain. I think the DPMS was arou 850 or so. I liked and got the Sig Sauer Enhanced, like the mag-pul furniture, and other features. The Colt goes for just under 1100, of course you have to add taxes. Surprised me to see them in the racks. ATB
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Last week our local Wal-Mart had a Ruger Mini 14 and I think an EBR. Too far away in glass case for me to read tags, and of course, no one around to help. I guess the Mini 14 Range Rifle could be an option if the price was right. I know the higher priced guns are probably a little better than the cheaper ones, but I am on a cheaper than budget. List on the Del-Ton Sport is $699. Hopefully a little better in the stores.
About a year and a half ago our Wally quit selling guns all together. About a year later they had a few in stock again, then a few more. They had a Mini 14 for a short time. When it sold I asked the "expert" at the gun counter when they would get another. He told me to forget it, they would not be getting any more of "that type" of rifle. And yep, this week they have another. :roll: Idiots. Last week I asked a different clerk for a box of Federal 9mm hollow points. He put a box of Winchester on the counter. I told him I wanted the Federal. He said that they are all the same. I walked away.
dennie
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Dennie,

found a couple on Gunbroker in the 600-650 range -- factor in shipping plus maybe a $25 FFL fee at the pawn shop of your choosing and your in for under 700 bucks pretty easy

----- I have had a DPMS Sportical for 4 years now and it has digested 1500 rounds without a hiccup --- i dont consider it a "battle rifle" -- but i've put enough rounds through it to trust it for more realistic home defense scenarios -- and it is fun to plink with ---(if it wasnt fun, i wouldnt have put that many rounds through it :D )--- as i stated abvove the Del Tons have given me similar performance ---

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =306076573

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =307108455

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =306949962
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Seriously, just consider getting a couple "stripped lowers" right now; you'll have your gun(s), and can take your time finishing them out, then sell which ever one you like least. You may make enough back for your small amount of assembly-work to offset much of the cost.

Even if you don't do that, just buying one stripped lower right now at least sort of 'grandfathers you in' to the AR-game.

Search around and you can find a stripped lower for as low as $70, usually, but in election-years the price goes up fast. BudsGunShop has this one for $109 at the moment, including shipping to your FFL. Get it and you have the "gun".

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... ack+Finish

Bushmaster sells them too, but they're "premium" so priced accordingly - http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=5

MidwayUSA sells one complete except for stock for close to twice that, but the pins and grip and springs and trigger bought separately would save you money if you start with the stripped lower instead.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621227 ... rged-matte

Of course you could always wait until after-the-election and see if prices come down. They won't if the Democrat gun-banners win.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd skip the Del-Ton and DPMS.

A Rock River should be able to be found under $800 and for your purposes would do fine.

The S&W M&P15A or Sport model would do the best for the money, excellent warranty, pretty solid quality control and they shoot well.

Have not tried the Windham guns, but Bushmaster pre-2005ish did decently well. If the gun is correctly assembled (gas key staked, castle nut staked, etc) you'd be fine.

Receiver extensions (buffer tubes to you) come in commercial or Mil-Spec. 95% of the ARs in the world are 'mil spec' tubed. Stay with the herd. The commercial tubes are a different diameter, just a tiny bit, but enough to mess with accessories.

Mags: PMags. TangoDown ARC mags aren't bad either, but PMags are cheap and essentially indestructible, though repeatedly running one over with a Humvee will destroy one eventually. Don't ask how I know that......
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Doc may be on to something with his suggestion to buy a lower and build your own. If you have common hand tools the only tool you will need is a barrel wrench to do the upper. They are stupid simple to build and you can spread the cost out over some time.

Chris
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Yep, thought of building one myself. I was looking on the AIMSURPLUS.com site yesterday. Empty lowers from around $60-$150. Internal parts kit for about $80 about $150 for lower. Stock kits from $35-$100. Buying their uppers would kill any savings of building it myself. However, this is the only place I have checked. Plus, most of their lowers and kits are sold out at this time.
Still thinkin'.
dennie
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oh, man, if AIM Surplus was 35 miles from my house, I would be in the poor house. Back when I had a C&R license, I dropped a lot of coin with those guys ...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

dennie wrote:Plus, most of their lowers and kits are sold out at this time.
Still thinkin'.
Don't think too long - stuff will sell out most places in the next week or so, and be more expensive by the day...

I'd just get a lower IMMEDIATELY, then ponder the rest of your decision; if you decide to get a whole gun later, you could probably sell the lower off in a few months (especially if the gun-banning Dems win) for twice what you pay for it now.