The Great Escape tunnel found and excavated

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

The Great Escape tunnel found and excavated

Post by awp101 »

I don't think this has been posted before:
TUNNEL REVEALED AFTER 67 YEARS. . . . THE GREAT ESCAPE.
Untouched for almost seven decades, the tunnel used in the Great Escape has finally been unearthed.

The 111-yard passage nicknamed Harry by Allied prisoners was sealed by the Germans after the audacious break-out from the POW camp Stalag Luft III in western Poland ..

Despite huge interest in the subject, encouraged by the film starring Steve McQueen, the tunnel remained undisturbed over the decades because it was behind the Iron Curtain and the Soviet authorities had no interest in its significance.

But at last British archaeologists have excavated it, and discovered its remarkable secrets.
The rest of the story here: http://best-of-stories-etc.blogspot.com ... FUA-66oaSp
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: The Great Escape tunnel found and excavated

Post by damienph »

How cool is that? That is still one of my all time favorite movies. I saw it when it first came out in the theater, '64 or '65?

I didn't realize that no Americans were involved. That was one of my favorite Steve McQueen movies.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Interesting 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Amazing! Thanks for the link!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ain't that somethin"! That was a time when men were men. How 600 men kept the secret to themselves during the dig shows the honor that was standard critiria in a better time. If that happened today you know there would be some rat who would cheese out the other guys so conditions would be better for him.----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My "Uncle Steve" was a 'guest' there DURING the Great Escape.

He's not actually an 'uncle', but we always called him that, because he was one of my Dad's closest friends.

What was really cool one time was when I was in college I'd walk to their house nearby there and visit and mooch his wife's home-cooking, and he'd show me his war souvenirs (including his metal foot brace :( ). He was an American pilot, and the camp was evidently divided into an American and a British section, or something like that.
Uncle Steve.jpg
Anyway, one time he got out a book that looked just like a 'high-school yearbook', and had the cover embossed with a subtle trim around the edge that went from a pair of pilots-wings up top, around the edge and down to a couple 'ball and chain' balls, and you could see that the upper end of the chain was around the eagle's feet.

Inside the yearbook there were pictures of each 'unit' or hut or whatever, with the men all standing in front of their hut. There were pictures of the 'mess hall' and other sort of stuff like that, and a section where each guy had his individual picture and name and probably some brief biographical information. There were pictures of them with sports teams playing, and I think there was even a section where there was a 'band' shown, and other such recreational things.

THEN there was what would be like the "Senior Class Project" section - only the 'project' was . . . the tunnel. There were photographs of the 'trolleys' and different ones of the guys doing the various other things like the forged documents and so on.

My second-cousin has that now, I think, as Uncle Steve passed away, but I need to see if he has it and would be willing to have it professionally copied. Obviously a priceless document.

As for Uncle Steve, he was in the American section, as I understand it, and it was the British who actually escaped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very interesting, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

that's too cool - thanks for the post.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Awesome...when men were men and women wore skirts.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Proof that the British fighting men were worthy of respect. Salute to all those involved.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Kinda interesting until you realize how far Western Poland (that area was Germany then) lies from Germany's border to Switzerland (several hundred miles!) where Steve McQueen, I believe it was, tried to jump the border fence with the motorcycle.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's an interesting article. 3 out of 77 ain't good odds but I'll bet they figured an attempt for freedom was better than staying in prison. AJMD, what a peice of history that book is. You should check into that. I hope your cousin realizes what he has.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Thanks for posting.

Those men would have had some serious intestinal fortitude, I don't think I could keep my pants clean if I was crawling through a 2ft tunnel 30 ft underground. Popping your head out of the hole on the other end you'd feel a bit like a ground dog in a shooting gallery.

I haven't seen the movie in a decade or so, might have to dig it out and enjoy it again.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

This story is just one of many that prove they are the Greatest Generation.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 thanks for the post - very interesting read.
Also one of my favorite movies I'll have to dig out for a new viewing.
My father, a B-17 (etc) pilot himself (thankfully stateside as a pilot instructor), had a best bud who was shot down piloting a B-17 and incarcerated in one of the Stalags. I "knew" this man through my folks mentioning when I was a kid. Well, advancing forward several years I was reading a book ("Flying Fortress," one of the definitive accounts, highly recommended) and lo and behold here is a short paragraph on dad's friend talking about how they organized/performed entertainment schemes to distract their captors away from escape endeavors (tunnel construction etc) - which we all knew was true from Hogan's Heroes of course :) My dad was delighted with the mention of his friend (I gave him a copy of the book for his birthday, and he in turn gave me the original pilot's/operating manual on the B-17 - a more than even exchange!)

Back to the Stalag prisoners, a +1 had to have been - or became - a breed apart.