308 Marlin Express

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

308 Marlin Express

Post by Wes »

I haven't heard much first hand about this cartrige or the rifles it's in. What do those of you that have them think of them? I'm not saying I'll run right out and buy one yet. I don't 'need' one because I've got a 300 Savage and a 30-30 or two, but since when does that stop me? Still I'd like to know more about it. (I'd lean toward the MX). Has anyone reloaded for it?
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Wes,

If / when Marlin Owners gets up and running again, you can check out the forum on the 308MX. Several guys have been loading and posting their results. Of course, the only source of brass is new Hornady ammo.

Bob A
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

308 Marlin

Post by jtaylor1960 »

I have a 308 MX.I mounted an Ultra Dot red dot scope on it.At 100 hundred it shoots abbout 1 1/2" groups.The adjustable dot works well for target shooting.I haven't tried it out on game yet but all reports I've heard are good.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've read and heard good things about them, but I'm not running out to buy one, either. Here's why...

The performance obtained comes from three factors -- the LeverEvolution bullets, and a special-blend powder that is loaded using a Hornady proprietary process. The bullets are not for sale as reloading components, and Hornady has not said they will be. The powder is not available, and you cannot duplicate their loading process on home equipment.

In other words, you will likely never be able to match factory performance at your loading bench, at least while maintaining safe pressures. At best, safe handloads are going to be at the souped-up .30-30 level. Now, there's not a thing wrong with that! But, it's not the near-.308 level performance you bought the rifle for.

IMO, the .308 Express is a very clever marketing ploy designed to sell what will always be a proprietary cartridge that only Hornady will have.
If I want the .308 Express level of performance (or greater) in a lever gun, I'm going to either find myself a nice Savage 99 in .300 or a BLR in .308, and I'll have a whole lot more flexibility with no hassle.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A fun gun to play with. Here is the first three shots I fired at 100 yd after a 50 yd sight in with Factory LE ammo. Just under 7/8".

I agree with others in that you probably will never better the factory balistics with your hand loads.
I have tried with BL-C(2) and H335 with 130 and 150 gr. bullets and get high pressure signs before coming close to factory velocity. Factory loads chrono about 100 fps slower than the factory claims in my rifle with its 22" barrel.
I will be shooting Varget and 4895 under the 150 gr speer bullets this week end and also Trail Boss and IMR 4198 under the RCBS 150 gr fp bullet cast of WW and sized .3095.
Wish my Ranch Dog mold would come!!
Will post a range report. :wink:
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I've noticed the same thing with the Hornady Light Mag factory loads. Once I pulled a 308 and weighed the charge and then tried to get it back in the case only to find I couldn't make it fit. They are a good factory load for sure. I like to handload and that is the downfall of this cartrige apparently. Looks like Chuck's gun sure shoots good though. This case design might be real good in that respect. Will enjoy seeing Chuck's range report. I'll be interested to see what you can get for velocity and groups with the 130 and 150 grainers. I had a 307 that shot the 130's pretty good and that load would drop a deer as fast as anything. If I remember right its velocity was close to 2900. Sold that gun during a divorce and wish I had it back.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Hype on Hornady ballistics for the Lever Wonder Ammo

Post by afish4570 »

First I know that I can't duplicate the factory ammo performance and secondly I too cheap and poor to be actively shooting the factory stuff. The basic components cost has risen so bad I just will reload and be happy with alittle less performance. I too have a 307 (brand new in the box) bought it just before Win. closed the line of the line) Now I have the mounts rings and brass and don't want to shoot it. I have a 356 that I have had for quite awhile and love it except for the lawyer proof saftey. For someone alot younger than me the new Marlin is probably a good gun long term.It looks like a lver gun so it must be.....down the road the components might be available for reloaders and if not they aren't too far off ballistically from a 307 Win performancewise afish4570 Cheap Green Dot in 4# caddies, I found some at Charles Wells Guns & Mobil in Bennington, Vt. as I was driving thru $10/# :roll: :roll:
afish4570
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Hype on Hornady ballistics for the Lever Wonder Ammo

Post by afish4570 »

First I know that I can't duplicate the factory ammo performance and secondly I too cheap and poor to be actively shooting the factory stuff. The basic components cost has risen so bad I just will reload and be happy with alittle less performance. I too have a 307 (brand new in the box) bought it just before Win. closed the line of the line) Now I have the mounts rings and brass and don't want to shoot it. I have a 356 that I have had for quite awhile and love it except for the lawyer proof saftey. For someone alot younger than me the new Marlin is probably a good gun long term.It looks like a lver gun so it must be.....down the road the components might be available for reloaders and if not they aren't too far off ballistically from a 307 Win performancewise afish4570 Cheap Green Dot in 4# caddies, I found some at Charles Wells Guns & Mobil in Bennington, Vt. as I was driving thru $10/# :roll: :roll:
afish4570
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

Here is a link to the Cabela's talk forum. I posted my experience with the 308MX, I'm short on time or I would do it here. I killed a deer at 365 yards, and elk at 178, and another buck at 147 yards. It is the real deal.

http://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=7120
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I went to the cabelas forum and looked at your posts there Big Medicine. Very impressive. Your MX is a shooting ***. I've got an XLR in 444 and like it just fine. I like blued and walnut the best though. That rifle in a 22" bbl is just a little handier to have around also.
I'm going to try and find some load data on this gun and look at it. If you can get a decent increase over a 30-30 load that would make the difference to me. I've had a couple 30-30's that shot good but nowhere near that good. There may be something to that case design, as far as accuracy goes, that you can't get a 30-30 to do.
What kind of velocities can you get with a 130gr Speer or any 150 gr bullet? Does anyone know?
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Should have checked the Hodgon site first. Last time I looked they didn't have the data for the 308MX. They have it now and it looks to me like this is a lot more gun than the 30-30 with reloads. Shows close to 300fps more with the 130 and over 200fps more with the 150. That is fairly significant in my book.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

I'm still working up loads for it so I don't have anything that I have settled on yet. I spoke with the techs at Hodgdon a few weeks ago to see if they had some idea what to use for acuracy loads. They only shoot for pressures and velocity and don't worry about accuracy. Sierra doesn't have any data at all yet, so they were no help. The Hornady guys have been a big help with some of the heaver bullets as far as data goes. But for hunting I think the Leverevolution ammo is going to be hard to beat.
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ