Elmer Keith's 'Sixguns'

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Elmer Keith's 'Sixguns'

Post by KirkD »

Finally got the book last week and started reading through it. Dadgummed good! .... and that is an understatement. His advice on shooting is extremely helpful. I've been putting some of it into practice this week and already see a significant improvement in my sixgun shooting. One of the things I've started doing is taking my First Gen Colt to work and having it right beside me on my desk as I work. Frequently throughout the day, when I need a quick break, I'll practice dry firing it at tiny targets out the window, out the office door, or fly speck-size spots in the office, applying what he suggested. I've stuffed a wee bit of bicycle tube into the firing pin hole which nicely cushions the hammer strike. Fortunately, my office is such that people seldom come around or walk by my window, since my office is in my house and looks out over my backyard and the river flats. At lunch time today, I stepped outside and did some live fire at a stump I've moved into position.

Bottom Line: If you like shooting handguns, especially sixguns, I would highly recommend Keith's 'Sixguns'
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Elmer Keith's 'Sixguns'

Post by Pitchy »

My copy will be here tomorrow, if ya order it off the gun blast site theres a discount. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I bought My copy in 1971,. Elmer is far and away the best I have ever read.His other books are equally as good. Enjoy
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Pitchy wrote:My copy will be here tomorrow, if ya order it off the gun blast site theres a discount. 8)
I didn't know that. I laid out 50 clams for an original hard cover, but I'm happy anyway. Here's the link to the Gun Blast review and discount http://gunblast.com/Sixguns.htm
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

KirkD wrote:
Pitchy wrote:My copy will be here tomorrow, if ya order it off the gun blast site theres a discount. 8)
I didn't know that. I laid out 50 clams for an original hard cover, but I'm happy anyway. Here's the link to the Gun Blast review and discount http://gunblast.com/Sixguns.htm
I`m sorry Kirk, i thought you got that one. :oops:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Good thing you mentioned that Gun Blast deal, Pitchy. I'm going to some of my Canadian friends know about it.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Mine is expected any time, Mine of course will be paper back but thats OK. $30 cheaper. I too ordered Mine through Gun Blast, the discount takes care of the shiping- $20 & some change.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If you haven't already read his book titled "Hell, I Was There!". I really enjoyed that one as well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

damienph wrote:If you haven't already read his book titled "Hell, I Was There!". I really enjoyed that one as well.
I was thinking about one or the other this Christmas for myself - which of those two books would you guys recommend, for those who've read both...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It's good, but if limited to one book by Keith it would be "Hell, I was There."
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Reading it again after probably 35 years. Wow were those guys smart back then. GREAT BOOK!
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I was at my grandpas house and asked to borrow Sixguns again. He said "I told you to keep it last time you borrowed it". His copy was from the 50s I think.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

AJMD429 wrote:
damienph wrote:If you haven't already read his book titled "Hell, I Was There!". I really enjoyed that one as well.
I was thinking about one or the other this Christmas for myself - which of those two books would you guys recommend, for those who've read both...?
Depends on what you want to accomplish. "Hell, I was there" is an excellent read, but is mainly an account of Elmer's life and adventures. It has some instructional value that you can take away from it, but to me is more meant to be a casual, entertaining read. Sixguns has much more technical and instructional value, while also being enjoyable to go through. They are both excellent books. For sheer enjoyment, it's "Hell, I was there" hands down. If you're looking to learn something, "Sixguns" is the way to go. You won't be disappointed with either choice.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Elmer Keith's 'Sixguns'

Post by C. Cash »

Got mine today as well from the gun blast link.....great stuff.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

KirkD wrote:Good thing you mentioned that Gun Blast deal, Pitchy. I'm going to some of my Canadian friends know about it.
A fine example of International diplomacy 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

shooter wrote:
Depends on what you want to accomplish. "Hell, I was there" is an excellent read, but is mainly an account of Elmer's life and adventures. It has some instructional value that you can take away from it, but to me is more meant to be a casual, entertaining read. Sixguns has much more technical and instructional value, while also being enjoyable to go through. They are both excellent books. For sheer enjoyment, it's "Hell, I was there" hands down. If you're looking to learn something, "Sixguns" is the way to go. You won't be disappointed with either choice.
I have both and I would agree.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:
shooter wrote:For sheer enjoyment, it's "Hell, I was there" hands down. If you're looking to learn something, "Sixguns" is the way to go. You won't be disappointed with either choice.
I have both and I would agree.
Well, crud - I guess I need to budget for both... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I bought "Hell I Was There" many years ago. I have read it several times. I may finally order a copy of "Six Guns" for my birthday, the deal from gunblast would be fine for me. Another good handgun book is "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Ed McGivern I have read it a few times too. I bought them both in the early 1980's.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bought HELL I was there in the early 80s reading it now again for the 3rd. time
Pitchy called me the other day & told me bout Sixguns & got me intrested in it, I read it years ago
but it was a borrowed book, SO thanks to Pitchy & my lovely Wife Boots I have a Sixguns on the way

ollogger
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Don't forget: Keith - Rifles for large game. An all time classic.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Favorite parts of He'll I was there are the picture of Elmer in full recoil with his Sharps. Also love the part where his life is threatened and he takes his Colt to school and the teachers fine with that. Can't wait to dig into Sixguns.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Note to AJMD429,
Yeah, you need them both. I've had mine for 30 or 40 years and re-read them every now and then. Good educational tools for the kids too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Didn't realize it was it paper back, ordered mine today.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Required reading for any guncrank. I first read it in 1976 and have probably reread it 30 times. My favorite is the chapter on "Gun Fighting". They sure were men back then.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A friend gave me a well worn copy of "Sixguns" decades ago. About 5 years ago I got a copy of "Hell I Was There".

It is my opinion that Keith's knowledge and techniques are just as true and valuable today as they were when he wrote them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

KirkD wrote:
Many thanks for the link Kirk, mine should arrive in a couple of weeks :D :D
I have a copy of "Hell, I was there" and have read it quite a few times, I am going to get my grandchildren to read it so they know what hard times really are :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Got my copy yesterday, can`t beleave how thick the book is.
Haven`t started reading it yet as i`m reading the new Monty Walsh book first.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

You guys won't even beleave this,I ended up with Momma today in an antique store in western New York State, like usual BOREING..........unlike most of the others there was a section of MAN STUFF not just tools but books and some outdoors gear, Marlin catalogs for $3.00 each. and there on a shelf with some Gun Digests was a...... HARDBACK copy.....of SIXGUNS :shock: . I open the cover and $9.00 is written inside. of course I'm doin the Happy dance and Momma can't understand why I want another. got it and a few Marlin catalogs.
Left there and went to Ellicotville Brewing Co for lunch and some great beer. :D .
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

.45colt wrote:You guys won't even beleave this,I ended up with Momma today in an antique store in western New York State, like usual BOREING..........unlike most of the others there was a section of MAN STUFF not just tools but books and some outdoors gear, Marlin catalogs for $3.00 each. and there on a shelf with some Gun Digests was a...... HARDBACK copy.....of SIXGUNS :shock: . I open the cover and $9.00 is written inside. of course I'm doin the Happy dance and Momma can't understand why I want another. got it and a few Marlin catalogs.
Left there and went to Ellicotville Brewing Co for lunch and some great beer. :D .
Love it when that happens!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Got Mine today, Everyone else is probably finished with Theirs. Haven't started it yet, maybe I can learn to shoot !
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Elmer autographed my hardback copy of Sixguns in 1977. I also have "hell I was there".
Thanks for reminding me that I have some guaranteed good reading for me next time I run out of anything interesting to read.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Elmer's books are the best. Shotguns by Keith is a good one also. He also wrote a smaller book on rifles for big game, way back there before he did Rifles for Large Game. It's a dandy book also.

Elmer was opininated, but usually would change his opinion when confronted with new information, because he was an expeirmenter and learned as he went along. In his eairly book he wrote that peep sights were Ghost Ring type were about the fastest sight, but in his later book he had finally got to use a rifle with a really good set of shallow V type sights and changed his mind. He then decided that the best shallow V type sights were the fastest sight. I agree with him. Also, he was right about calibers and bullets of his time, but nowdays I wonder if he would say the same thing or not regarding calibers, since we do probably have better bullets available for the sub calibers like 30/30 and 30-06, etc. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron