Can't see the bullet holes @ 200 yards....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Can't see the bullet holes @ 200 yards....

Post by Ray Newman »

Colleagues: the weather is changing up here in the Pacific North Wet, and as a result, the bullet holes in the 200 yard target are harder to see in the spotting 'scope when I shoot in the mornings.

I heard that if a Shooter placed a white sheet or a piece of Tyvek on the ground behind the target or partially on the berm, the light would reflect up, making the bullet holes visible.

Anyone know if this is true?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Can't see the bullet holes @ 200 yards....

Post by John in MS »

Yes, I have fired in 300-yard reduced HP rifle matches. It's important to see where each shot goes as you fire it, in slow-fire.
They had white target cloth hung from the back of the target frames at a 45 degree angle to catch the sunlight. It made even .223
bullet holes in the black easy to spot in spotting scope. Flourescent orange works well too, and may make it easier to see holes in the
white part of a target.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow! Never heard of that! Cool.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Birchwood Casey makes Shoot-N-C targets.

Don't know if you care for the product or not.

For me it's just one less thing to carry down-range.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Shoot n C's are a nice way to treat yourself. You spend money on ammo, range fees, gas, etc. A .50 cent target isn't going to break you.

You can also make your own if you want a large area to show your misses.

White or orange board, covered with shrink wrap, then the cellophane is spray-painted black.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Thats why I like 45/70.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

That's why I shoot Steel. A killbox is a killbox. The deer don't care if the bullets cloverleaf @ 200+ so long as they all are in the boilerroom...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: John: going to re-examine my plastic pipe target stand about adding two brackets to hold up a white cloth. Just might work. On another board, one poster suggested hanging a white plastic garbage bag.

To elaborate further on my problem: my spotting scope is the older 77mm Kowa. It is stoutly secured to the bench by a c-clamp with a pipe extension -- holding the scope bracket -- welded on.

The Kowa works well, but the deep and dark shadows on the range at this time of the year from the trees and changing sun angle, make seeing the target difficult. Even looked through a Fellow Shooter's Leica, which was not much better. Then when I factor in my 66 year old eyes....

For the iron sights on my .45 -110 Borchardt, I shoot the 15” bull’s eye 300 meter reduced target for 200 meters. Anything smaller and I just can not see it clearly enough to aim.

Same with the 5 power ¾” diameter ‘scope on one of my .45-2.4” Sharps rifles– the 25 ring German target (12” bull) works well as it shows up in the ‘scope. Too small a bull and I “loose it”. The 25 ring red bull’s eye gives a clear picture of the reticle in the MVA ‘scope. The very fine reticle does not show up on a black bull, unless it is a small bull and then I have trouble seeing the bull’s eye.

Speaking of spotting 'scopes:
http://roguesuperscopes.com/default.htm

Binocular type eye piece with a 127mm objective lens. Problem is that is very large and requires a substantial tripod, which will get in the way of my wheelchair. A deceased Fellow Shooter had one and it is a very powerful ‘scope.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.