Motorcycle luggage update, zero lever content

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Motorcycle luggage update, zero lever content

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, I'm bragging a little again. This was one of my latest projects

KLR650. For you Harley guys, you can avert your eyes. For you non-motorcycle types, this is a dual sport, combo street/dirt. Not great on either, but a great backroads touring bike. Single cylinder thumper, 650cc.
Note the not-so-elegant ALICE backback cargo carrying modification on the back. I reversed the pack frame and zip tied it down to the luggage carrier. It does work work holding my lunch cooler or helmet. And the top of the frame was always poking me in the rear.

Luggage systems for bikes are frightfully expensive. Total cost for me on new cases, racks, adapters, etc., about $650 - $800.

I explored making my own bike luggage racks but I just do not have the shop space or time. Ordered these from Happy Trail. Ordered a couple things from them, always good service.

Racks on the bike. Good fit and finish. These things are made in Idaho. Thanks, guys!

Serious stuff. Measure twice, cut once, grind once. I love MIG welders. I love plasma cutters even more.

People think when we fabricate something it's just throw it on, weld it up, good to go. Nope. There's always a lot of fitting, finishing, cutting, re-doing and sometimes even some butt scratching accompanied by, 'how in the heck am I gonna make that work?'

Cases on the bike. I gotta add reflective tape on the back. And obviously a lot of stickers!

For you KLR folks, I didn't really want the 20mm ammo cans...they're just too heavy for my tastes. Maybe it's just an aversion from me moving around too many munitions in them in my USAF days. And I already had the Pelicans cases.

Cases added zero change to the handling on the bike, at least up to 65 mph. That's my comfort level on the bypass, I don' roll no faster.

I have not done a full load out with all the camping gear and bedroll on the back just yet. But for dragging groceries home, they've done great.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Motorcycle luggage update, zero lever content

Post by new pig hunter »

NICE !!!!! Definitely worth the effort to have such grocery capability, sometimes you just don't have enough bungee cords. Are they easily removeable, or permanently affixed ????

I got lucky when I bought my used BMW, it had a set of the BMW hard luggage cases already installed. Easy-on, easy off.

Cheers,

Carl
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Ah, a beemer guy. Now that's class. I have always liked the BMWs. I'm seriously jones'in for a BMW 1200RT as my retirement bike, it's either that or a Kawasaki 1400 Concours.

Yes, cases detach, although I'm sure not as elegantly as yours.

The interface frames have a right angle on the bottom that sits on the Happy Trail bike mount bottom frame, and the interface bolts in at the top. So they are permanent.

In the 4th and 5th pictures you can see the holes in the corner of the interface that match up with holes in the molded plastic 'feet' in the Pelican case. I've got a 1/4x20 bolt that goes through a fender washer in the case, into the interface and then is held on by a wingnut. To dismount I just spin off the wingnuts. Just gotta be careful as I have an inch of bolt sticking out the bottom of the case.

It's a very strong mount and I would have no problem standing on them to test. I've not dropped the bike over on them (yet) but I've no doubt they'll hold.

I had thought with the vibration from the bike (the KLR's are infamous for that!) the wing nuts would loosen but after a week of commuting I checked them today and they are still tight. Still, for any serious touring I need rubber washers to go under them to snug everything up.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. I recently walked awaynfrm my Harley for a Suzuki 650 vstrom. not as nice as ur Beemer but same class of bike. Good luck. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very, Very Nice!!!! I got lazy and bought the one that had it already mounted. I'm think a water proof duffle for the top of the two cases I already have. I've jonesed for a BMW Adventure Tourer, and got this one that I like even better. When I get all the way retired next summer, I'd really like to do a month across the USA on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Now that is really nice, wecsoger. My main riding buddy has the KLR650; I'll have to show him how you got set up there. He's going to be :mrgreen: My ride is a BMW 650 they call the XCountry. I think they only made them a couple of years and their big drawback is the real skimpy little rack that is hard to figure how to attach anything to. Maybe if my riding buddy got fixed up like you are there he could carry the gear for both of us! :lol:
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Way to go wecsoger!

And earl, I like your thinking about gettin' the other guy to carry the luggage. Back when I had a Beemer it had the Krauser bags that went on and off soooo easily. Spoiled me. My old harley bags some off easily but have no handles and leak water really badly. Then there are the clips that hold them on that keep coming loose and.......

Blaine, when you take that big ride come see me in northeast OK.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

KLR650. I used to be able to lean mine over so far, my helmet had scrape marks on either side. :mrgreen:

TIP: Put a PCV valve in the crankcase breather tube, flowing out wards, of course. Puts a little spring in her step.

Get replacement rubber grommets for the body panels and windshield from your dealer before the warranty is out. I can almost guarantee you they're rotting away.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Neat :D

I made a stainless steel frame for my Buell a few years back for a tour of Scotland. It was just for straping soft luggage too. Worked perfectly.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

wecsoger wrote:...For you KLR folks, I didn't really want the 20mm ammo cans...
:twisted:

Not mine. I wish mine were set up as well though... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I too am very spoiled with the oh-so-easy on & off design of the BMW hard bags.

Here is a picture of my 1982 BMW R65LS with the "standard issue" BMW hard bags. The steel mounting frame attached to the bike is nicely tucked in and does not protrude when the bags are removed, so it doesn't get in the way. The bags have a handle on top, just like a suitcase, for easy carry. And all latches have a lock.

I almost sold the set when I bought the bike in 2000 .... I'm glad I didn't.

Cheers,

Carl
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Hard luggage is sure nice. After riding baggers for 17 years I went to a Harley Fatbob (Fatron as my wife says). It's got leather saddlebags that are big enough but I missed a hard lockable tourpac. I pickup up a used Corbin tourpac a few months ago and modified the mounting rack from a Yamaha FJ 1300 and adapted it to my quick disconnect Harley sissybar side plates. I slid the tourpac up close to me so I now have my hard, lockable tourpac and a back rest for me. It's kind of an ugly tourpac but I plan to paint it flat black and I'll only use it for trips anyway. It worded great this past weekend on a trip my son and I took.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

new pig hunter wrote:I too am very spoiled with the oh-so-easy on & off design of the BMW hard bags.

Here is a picture of my 1982 BMW R65LS with the "standard issue" BMW hard bags. The steel mounting frame attached to the bike is nicely tucked in and does not protrude when the bags are removed, so it doesn't get in the way. The bags have a handle on top, just like a suitcase, for easy carry. And all latches have a lock.

I almost sold the set when I bought the bike in 2000 .... I'm glad I didn't.

Cheers,

Carl
Those are really nice scoots.....I bought a plain-jane 86 R65, and I think that's the last year they made them....I should have kept it :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nice set up. I have a buddy that buys hard-side luggage at the local thrift store for $5 per bag and bolts them onto his KLR. They last about a year or two, then he chucks 'em and buys another set.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Blaine,

this is my second R65. Perfect for my daily commute, light and nimble and 40mpg. And being in SoCal, that's pretty much every day since the weather is so moderate year-round.

get another one and hang out here !!
http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

new pig hunter wrote:Blaine,

this is my second R65. Perfect for my daily commute, light and nimble and 40mpg. And being in SoCal, that's pretty much every day since the weather is so moderate year-round.

get another one and hang out here !!
http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Cheers,

Carl
I'm totally swept up in this new Super Tenere. Light, Nimble, 12-13 second 1/4 mile, 6 gallon tank, and near 50mpg.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Very cool KLR !

I am a long time motocross enthusiast, but recent injuries have dampened my enthusiasm a bit ---

I have been itching to make a "budget adventure bike" (as if there is such a thing) here lately

I started researching the BMW Sertao, --- it is neat, but some reports say it vibrates quite a bit, -- plus the 41mm forks look spindly on such a heavy beast (It would also be well over 10k after adding the hard luggage)

Which brings me back to basing my ride on eithe a KLR or a XR650L Honda -------again, right now i'm still in fantasy mode ---- but the Honda has a serious baja pedigree in the racing world, - but its hard to get big tanks to fit --- The KLR already has the tank and a lot of stuff available

I dont know if this project will ever get off the ground, but i have spent quite a bit of time researching baja style lighting systems, luggage and other doo-dads for the XR's :lol:
----- Doug