new "Woods Side-Arm" to compliment my leverguns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

new "Woods Side-Arm" to compliment my leverguns...

Post by 1894c »

Hi--when it comes to Single Action pistols in .357 mag or .44 mag i'm a lousy shot over 25 yards, unless i'm willing to put rubber grips on them, which (for me) detracts from their good looks. i've owned a couple of .357 & .44 DA revolvers, did better, mostly with the .357, but wasn't satisfied in the end. So over the last 10 years i've been carrying my Glock 27 or 23 (.40s&w) for a woods gun. no, my intent wasn't to hunt with them (definitely not bear repellent), just like having a side-arm, and the .40s&w is a capable cartridge, similar to the ancient 38/40.

BUT, there is a ground-swell of interest in the LE Agency that i serve to move away from the .40s&w to the .45 ACP, or at least give the patrol guys this option, we do have 18 sworn who have been grand-fathered with an assortment of .45's in Kimber's Wilson Combat, and Glock 21's. One of these LEO's was showing me his off-duty Glock 30SF (SF is glock-speak for "short-frame), usually the Glock .45's grips are too big for my hands, but the 30SF fit like a glove.

So, I decided to buy (LE discount - $449.00) a Gen3 Glock 30SF in .45 ACP as my new woods gun. The 30 holds 11 rounds, 10 in the mag, 1 in the tube. the 30 weighs 33-ozs loaded. i believe that the .45 ACP is a better choice in caliber than the .40s&w. i know i could have bought a nice 1911, but the Glock is ugly, practical, reliable, and if you bang it up, nobody looses... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: new "Woods Side-Arm" to compliment my leverguns...

Post by Pitchy »

Never owned a Glock but looks like a good set-up.
Never thought i`d own a plastic gun but a XD changed my mind in 45 cal.
They have their place.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

336bl wrote:. . . the .40s&w is a capable cartridge, similar to the ancient 38/40.
Yep, if you'd feel ok in a given situation with a nice .38/40 sixshooter, no reason a .40 semiauto shouldn't suffice just as well, as long as it's reliable; often you have a few more rounds available, plus the gun will be in a pretty flat and durable configuration.
336bl wrote:. . . the Glock is ugly, practical, reliable, and if you bang it up, nobody looses... :)
Kind of a carry-version of the proverbial 'truck-gun'. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice selection have fun with it.
It is not the critic who counts
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:
336bl wrote:. . . the .40s&w is a capable cartridge, similar to the ancient 38/40.
Yep, if you'd feel ok in a given situation with a nice .38/40 sixshooter, no reason a .40 semiauto shouldn't suffice just as well, as long as it's reliable; often you have a few more rounds available, plus the gun will be in a pretty flat and durable configuration.
336bl wrote:. . . the Glock is ugly, practical, reliable, and if you bang it up, nobody looses... :)
Kind of a carry-version of the proverbial 'truck-gun'. :wink:
AJMD429--that is the best discription of a Glock i have ever read... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote:Never owned a Glock but looks like a good set-up.
Never thought i`d own a plastic gun but a XD changed my mind in 45 cal.
They have their place.
Pitchy--i should have thought of a .45acp earlier, apparently you're smarter than i for you have the XD...almost like the .45colt (almost, but not quite) and the .44spl that many like using for "woods guns". the Glock is rated for +P so i should be able to use slightly warmer stuff in the woods. i'm also going to buy a LoneWolf replacement barrel so i can shoot lead bullets too...i like your comment "they have their place", just like the wild-bunch, except in tupperware...all i have to do now is find that non-existent M92 .45ACP levergun... :)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Is there enough difference between the 40 and the 45, that a 40 wouldn't have been enough, but the 45 would have :?: Don't believe anything shot with either could tell the difference, :P
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Been thinking about a Glock in 10mm since I'm partial to that cartridge (already have a beautiful full size 1911 Kimber in that chambering). The Glocks are good "beater guns". :lol: -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

336bl wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Kind of a carry-version of the proverbial 'truck-gun'.
What's funny is how I'll see guys use Ruger Single-Actions for 'truck-guns', when they ARE plenty tough, and reliable, but they aren't as compact, have more places for grit and stuff to get into them, and it's always a shame to see one get pitted or scuffed up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

CowboyTutt wrote:Been thinking about a Glock in 10mm since I'm partial to that cartridge (already have a beautiful full size 1911 Kimber in that chambering). The Glocks are good "beater guns". :lol: -Tutt
10mm is a great round, good choice for a woods cartridge too...thought about it...but my goal was to use a cartridge that the LE Agency i serve approves, which i can also qualify with, and carry...shot the 30SF again this weekend, very accurate, minute-of-clay-pigeon at 50 yards... 2"+ grouping on paper at 25yds...i shoot the .45ACP better than i did the .40s&w, better than the .357Mag...go figure...but then John Browning and Jeff Cooper told me so along time ago... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:
336bl wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Kind of a carry-version of the proverbial 'truck-gun'.
What's funny is how I'll see guys use Ruger Single-Actions for 'truck-guns', when they ARE plenty tough, and reliable, but they aren't as compact, have more places for grit and stuff to get into them, and it's always a shame to see one get pitted or scuffed up.
i agree...hate to see a SA of any brand get banged around...i have too much respect for them...i can see using a SA as a truck gun, but i would make sure that it had a comfortable place to ride --- but the old beat-up Glocks that i see on some of our Patrol LEO's have a certain patina of respect, experience, and street-proven wisdom... :)
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

That G30SF, and the regular G30 version, both have good reputations for accuracy; some even say noticably better than the Glock 40's.

The G30 I carried for a while gave about 845 FPS with PMC ball ammo. Not bad for a short barrel.

45ACP is still a good round, and that's a good pistol. Congrats.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

It's "slim frame" not short frame.

I've carried a regular G30 for 12 years, it's a good gun. Mine is an original production run and dislikes WWB, but anything else it shoots fine.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

but then John Browning and Jeff Cooper told me so along time ago... :)
I saw some incredible video footage of Colonel Cooper from a former student of his at my CCW class. Its such a shame that after he died, the new owners of his school just buried his illustrious history and acted like it never happened. I miss him and sure wish I could have met him when he was alive. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Pfft, could have gotten a hi-point in .45 for cheaper and they have the benefit of being just as ugly :D
Of course, carrying around just the nine sucked when I had one back when. Can't imagine carrying around even more metal.

On that note, been considering a 10mm for a while, but they're generally price prohibitive unless I want an EAA. Bleh.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Are the butt ugly Glock 10mm's that expensive???? I haven't priced them yet. Far better to "role your own" with this cartridge. Factory ammo is not cheap although Double Tap stuff is reasonable AND powerful last I looked. -Tutt

1894c

Post by 1894c »

Panzercat wrote:Pfft, could have gotten a hi-point in .45 for cheaper and they have the benefit of being just as ugly :D
Of course, carrying around just the nine sucked when I had one back when. Can't imagine carrying around even more metal.

On that note, been considering a 10mm for a while, but they're generally price prohibitive unless I want an EAA. Bleh.
Glock 30SF .45ACP: LE price - $449.00
Last edited by 1894c on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

tman wrote:Is there enough difference between the 40 and the 45, that a 40 wouldn't have been enough, but the 45 would have :?: Don't believe anything shot with either could tell the difference, :P
Physics has allot to do with it... .40S&W 155, 165, or 180gr -- .45ACP 230gr = kinetic energy
the .45ACP is still effective in hardball...the .40S&W not as good in hardball, you need a good hollow-
point to make the .40 effective... :)
--------------------------------------------------
Note: i decided to go with the .45ACP because it's an older round (100+ years), has history (the Marine Corp Special Ops guys just bought a bunch of 1911's from Colt), kind-of the same reason why i own and hunt with leverguns. i know the Glock platform is somewhat out of character, but it's a platform i very familiar with...same reason why many on this forum like the .45Colt, .44/40, or the .44 Special -- big slow bullet, ancient thinking and technology in today's smaller/hyper-velocity world... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:It's "slim frame" not short frame.

I've carried a regular G30 for 12 years, it's a good gun. Mine is an original production run and dislikes WWB, but anything else it shoots fine.
http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell-Glock30SF.htm
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Hmm.....they changed their website...

They first said it was the Slim Frame. Odd.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:Hmm.....they changed their website...

They first said it was the Slim Frame. Odd.
i apologize about that...don't want to be offensive...things do change... :)
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

336bl wrote:Glock 30SF .45ACP: LE price - $449.00
Was kidding about the hi-point there, Tex :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't like the feel of a Glock, and that is the only thing I have against them. Hope yours is exactly what you want it for. I would probably use my .45 RIA or maybe my S&W Model 99 for a woods gun if I wanted a semi-auto. I have never heard anything bad about Glocks when used with new ammo. I have heard some things about them with reloads, but this is hearsay. Again, I just don't like the feel of their grip. I have a big palm, thick, with medium length fingers. I have noticed the Glocks fit better with more normal sized palm and longer fingers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894c

Post by 1894c »

piller wrote:I don't like the feel of a Glock, and that is the only thing I have against them. Hope yours is exactly what you want it for. I would probably use my .45 RIA or maybe my S&W Model 99 for a woods gun if I wanted a semi-auto. I have never heard anything bad about Glocks when used with new ammo. I have heard some things about them with reloads, but this is hearsay. Again, I just don't like the feel of their grip. I have a big palm, thick, with medium length fingers. I have noticed the Glocks fit better with more normal sized palm and longer fingers.
for some strange reason Glocks just fit me...my two hunting buddies also carry .45ACP's, one is a RIA and the other is a Smith & Wesson. if the Glocks don't work for you try the S&W M&P or the Springfield XD, or a regular 1911. in the end i would venture to say the majority on this forum would gravitate towards a SA or a DA revolver, which is always a good choice... :)