Savage 99..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Savage 99..

Post by morgan in nm »

I have been looking at a 99 savage for the last couple of months in a local gun shop and it has given me a lot to think about. I have never owned one but this one is in 300 savage, 171xxx, very dirty but good bore, and I can get it bought for $400. I know absolutely nothing about these rifles and was curious if they are bringing that kind of money. I see a lot of folks here that know about them so I thought I would ask. It looks to me that it would make a nice rifle after a lot of cleaning. By the way, I did count at least 6 plug screws in the reciever. Is this normal?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

THe $400 seem about right from what I have seen. I got a 308 for a little under $400 after looking long and hard for about a year. On the other hand, I saw one yesterday in 243, glued on recoil pad, removable magazine and in my opinion about 80% condition. The guy wanted $800 for it.

I cannot help with the question about the plug-screws except to say mine doesnt have any.

Someone else with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't think it was originally D&T for scopes. The back two are for tang sights, those just aft of and just forward of the "port" are for scope mounts. Hence, 6 total. $400 ain't a bad price from what I've seen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'm not by any means a collector, but I do know that I like them as well as any rifle I've ever picked up; they just fit me. I can throw up a 99 with my eyes shut and when I open them, the bead will be laying right in the notch where it belongs. It just works for me.

About any old 99, that don't look like it's been used for a T-post, will bring the kind of money they're asking. Take a look on www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com for an idea of going prices. This is not to say you shouldn't haggle. I figure if I just save the sales tax, haggling still pays enough to make it worth the effort.

According to the serial # database at http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm
the 99 in question was made in 1915.

Many old 99's were drilled & tapped after leaving the factory and perhaps the two extra holes you mentioned were for a tang sight. Just taking a SWAG here.

The absolute best single resource for info on these guns is probably at

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1

They are just a hell of a nice bunch of folks and they'll fall all over themselves trying to help, if you register & post a question.

Take care & have fun. I'll warn you up front that the dang things are addictive. I just picked up a .308 & I'm already 'needing' another in .358 or .375 for my 'heavy rifle'. :roll:
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I sure do appreciate the information. As much of a winchester man as I claim to be, a funny thing happened to me when I first picked up this rifle. It seemed to just "fit." It has one of the nicest sight pictures I have ever seen and the stock fit in the shoulder real nice. That is why I asked the question. I really liked it the first time I held her. I think that you all have convinced me to get off my rear and bring it home. Is ammo difficult to find? Are there any tricks to taking one apart to clean it? It looks as though the poor thing had never been cleaned.

By the way, I didn't think it was that old. Will have to re-check the serial number. I did notice that it has a either bakelite or metal but plate(too dirty to really see.)

I sure do appreciate the information.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I think $400.00 is a steal. I can't seem ti find one less than 600.00, and then they are not in the best of condition. I first would ask for a "best price", to see if you can save a few bucks, but I would go ahead and purchase it!! Good luck!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Take it home, you'll like it! I heard for years how the 300 Savage in these rifles doesn't shoot very well. Not true. Both of mine shoot nice groups. They are easy on the shoulder and within their range they are enough gun for about anything. They are fun to shoot!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I sold a pretty nice 99EG for 400.00 just a couple of weeks ago. It was in 300 savage and a very good shooter.

I probably should have kept it, but I have been buying too many leveracitons lately and felt like I needed to recoupe some of my money, that I have blown. And while the 99 was a good gun, I just felt like I probably wouldn't use it, because I have too many others I liked better, and I was into it right, where I could come out on it with a little profit.

I could have probably gotten 500.00 out of it, if I had been willing to sit on it for a while, but had an offer for 400.00 so I took it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One is never "blowing" money when one spends it on a good levergun. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

If you don't want post the store's contact info and see how fast it disppears!

Wm
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

May have gone back to Savage to be rebarrelled at soime point, as the .300 was not introduced until 1920...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, looks like I'm the fly in the ointmint here because personally, I would not pay 4 c-notes for a Savage levergun that has too many holes in it unless it was a 25-35, 32-40, or a 38-55 . It may be priced about right for a pre-war gun but when you go to sell it, no one wants a gun with extra holes in it. So I guess it comes down to the supply and demand in your area and whether or not you are willing to wait for a gun that is "right." When a gun is "right", you will make money and if its not, the value will stagnate.----------your call--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Marlin .35 wrote:I think $400.00 is a steal. I can't seem ti find one less than 600.00, and then they are not in the best of condition. I first would ask for a "best price", to see if you can save a few bucks, but I would go ahead and purchase it!! Good luck!! Art
I have to agree with Marlin .35. I bought a 99 in .300 savage just three months ago for $600. It had a nice redfield scope, but half the blueing is gone and it has two extra holes in the receiver. A really nice one is going (or should I say waiting) for $695 locally. I wouldn't be able to resist at $400. You could almost certainly get your money back, plus some, if you decided you didn't like it...but you will.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I horse-traded around and got into this one for about half of the going rate.

I'm generally pretty practical about my guns; it has to serve a specific purpose and if I don't need two tools for that job, I don't add another.

I made a little exception in this case. This .308 will serve any use that I'm likely to put a carbine to. Still, some of the best fun I had as a kid was with old military Rolling Blocks, Springfields & SMLE's, hammering stuff way out there using the ladder sights. So I decided to add a little something to make this a 'fun gun' as well as a practical one:
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.as ... egoryid=67

We'll see how it goes, but I'm gonna have some fun with this rig.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Well, wasn't able to get it. It turned out that the dealer had recently went to a gun show and decided that he wants a lot more than $400 for it. I guess that happens sometimes. :( :roll:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

That's too bad Morgan, but don't give up. I see one come up for sale here every so often, and if you want I'll let you know. Price varies with the phases of the moon. Most of 'em seem to be E-model .308's or .243's, which ain't a bad thing when you're scrounging for brass.

Take care-