Only in Wyoming.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Only in Wyoming.

Post by jnyork »

Our County Fair was held last week. Today the newspaper pr inted a 10 page supplement detailing the winners of the various 4H events, which are where the 4H kids raise steers, hogs, lambs, etc as a learning experience and to auction off at the fair. Local businesses provide brisk bidding to buy the livestock as a means of showing support for the kids and it's also good community relations for them.
The supplement included many 1 1/2" x 2" block ads purchased by the kids thanking the businesses for their support. One ad read as follows: "A.D. Martin Lumber Company: Thank your for changing my market steer into a .300 Win Mag. Jace F-----" . :lol:
Can you imagine something like this happening in Kali or New Jersey? :o
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Only in Wyoming.

Post by Griff »

No! :lol: :lol: :lol: But, it is too bad the kid suffers from magnumitis! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It's only magnumitis if you can't shoot it well. :mrgreen:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:It's only magnumitis if you can't shoot it well. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Not so fast there Pardner. I went to a Dinner last Friday called - Meet The Huskies- It is High School Football Teams for Sutter Union High School. The first one I went to I won a High Point 9mm Pistol. Each year local sporting goods donate Guns, Guided hunts and what not. This year was a Savage 17HMR and some other gun but I don' remember what it was (almost a week ago- :lol: ) Where do I Live U ask,Kali.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Perry, it must be the "other" half of California. Jerry, that's great ! Good on that boy ! - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

pwl44m wrote:Not so fast there Pardner. I went to a Dinner last Friday called - Meet The Huskies- It is High School Football Teams for Sutter Union High School. The first one I went to I won a High Point 9mm Pistol. Each year local sporting goods donate Guns, Guided hunts and what not. This year was a Savage 17HMR and some other gun but I don' remember what it was (almost a week ago- :lol: ) Where do I Live U ask,Kali.
Perry
Talk about coincidence. Our nephew plays for the Sutter High Huskies JV football team as a defensive end. Loves pig and duck hunting. In fact, he may just be getting a nice re-built Mauser hunting rifle from his uncle.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nah, not just Wyoming, but I know what you mean. That's pretty cool.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I like to support our Butler County fair and the kids in 4H and other clubs. Because of the high outdoor temps and some medical issues I did not go this year. Turned out to be a blessing, as many fair-goers got swine flu from the hogs that were there. Bad deal.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

In NJ, the kid who wrote the thank you ad would be arrested, and in CA, the kid would be ordered into therapy and observation.
and no offense to Perry - the word would get out and it would become a state issue.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There isn't a Fire/EMS conference that doesn't have at least one gun as a fundraiser prize.

At the WY Trauma Conference last weekend a Savage XP .308 was raffled.

At the Cody Fire School, a Dan Wesson .44 and an AR went.

Still, that turn of a phrase is cool... "turn my steer into a .300..."

Next thing you know, he will be wanting an Elk to turn into that .300 as well... :twisted:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

4H events at the county fair are a great learning experience for the kids, but folks often overlook that the animals that don't win the top prizes are still for sale and are really fine stock.

We have some Jewish friends who were looking for a source to get lamb for their holiday celebrations, so I asked my favorite game processor (Steve at Po' Boy's in Merit, TX) if he would pick out a couple of nice lambs at the local county fair and process them for me. He went out of his way and did a heck of a job.

Got 2 excellent lambs around 140lbs each, and a very nice yield to split with our friends. I think we got about 70lbs from each animal. I guess our frineds weren't expecting quite so much, because they had to run out and buy a freezer. Even with that added expense the total was still less than half of what they would have paid off the shelf at a butcher or grocer.

I'd not been a lamb or mutton fan prior, but dang, these animals have been some fine eatin'.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Some of the biggest raffle,auction and drawings at major conferences like the Wyoming Association of Conservation Districts is for guns and hunting trips.
4-H shooting sports has the largest enrollment of any 4-H project here in Wy.
Don't know if they still do or not, but most of the school districts on the western side of the state close down for a few days around Oct. 15, for elk and deer season opener.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana is cool, too.....

1. My son was only about 14, when in "4-H Shooting Sports" they were allowed to shoot:
  • some full-auto M-16's, with .22 LR adaptors

and each year, on the last day, they totally shot up and destroyed a junked car (it is my firm belief that a youngster cannot grow up to be a real man unless he's either shot up a junk car, or gone to a 'trash dump' and shot rats on-the-move - preferably both, if he really wants to become successful in life... :D )

In addition, on the last day they could bring whatever guns from home they wanted, if they brought along a parent (most of the shooting was rimfire and shotgun otherwise for cost/range safety purposes). Lots of the kids turned out with their dads 'military-style' firearms, 1911's, and other heavy stuff. Some suppressed and full-auto stuff, too... 8) Nobody blinked an eye - most of the cops there just wanted to know where they could get the same toys.
2. One day I realized I'd left my CCW piece at home, so on my lunch hour went out to a nearby gun store and just - bought another. . . !

3. One time I even went out on a whim during lunch and came back with an AR-15. Try doing THAT in some states, or in other countries...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

In reading My post and some responses to this thread I feel somewhat that I might have dissed the Kids response to His Buyer. However that was not the intent, I just failed to Merit Him with His Ad, which I am doing now. :oops:
It also seems that throughout the U S of A We r pretty much a Gun Nutty Nation.(so how do all these laws get passed)?
@ Doc- U don't just go to Town and buy a Gun here, No Siree- gotta Waait. Then for that 10 day period U have to attest that U didn't rob any Banks or kill anybody. :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

AJMD-

You are right about Indiana. At the 4th of July parade in Pekin, we sell food as a fundraiser for the Lions Club. Also the mandatory comparing of the CCW we have with us.

Loaned my AR 15 to a freind who was qualifying with the local PD in night shooting because it was set up with light and laser. They were jealous because it is nicer than their issue guns.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:4H events at the county fair are a great learning experience for the kids, but folks often overlook that the animals that don't win the top prizes are still for sale and are really fine stock.

We have some Jewish friends who were looking for a source to get lamb for their holiday celebrations, so I asked my favorite game processor (Steve at Po' Boy's in Merit, TX) if he would pick out a couple of nice lambs at the local county fair and process them for me. He went out of his way and did a heck of a job.

Got 2 excellent lambs around 140lbs each, and a very nice yield to split with our friends. I think we got about 70lbs from each animal. I guess our frineds weren't expecting quite so much, because they had to run out and buy a freezer. Even with that added expense the total was still less than half of what they would have paid off the shelf at a butcher or grocer.

I'd not been a lamb or mutton fan prior, but dang, these animals have been some fine eatin'.

:)
Not a baaaad deal, sounds like: Ewe didn't get the wool pulled over your eyes on that one, and that's mutton to sneeze in these days of high prices.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nazgul wrote:Loaned my AR 15 to a freind who was qualifying with the local PD in night shooting because it was set up with light and laser. They were jealous because it is nicer than their issue guns.
Any HONEST cop or LEO realizes that's the way it should be - WE (the citizenry - aka 'the rabble') should have the potent small arms, and ONLY allow the cops/LEO's to have them when legitimately needed to deal with actual 'bad-guys' (not violators of victimless-crime laws). ANY REAL COP KNOWS THIS, and is happy to see the citizenry buy lots of 'assault weapons'. 'Fake' cops who are just on power-trips, want to be the only well-armed individuals, instead of 'allowing' the mere-citizen to have potent firearms. THOSE are the wannabe-tyrants to be wary of... :? Similarly, if a LEO is all gung-ho on the 'war on drugs', you can be fairly sure that he/she is more on a power-trip vs. the pleebs vs. actually one who understands the meaning of liberty and freedom.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JN: Thanks for posting. My daughter grew up in 4-H. It's a great program. Kids learn how the world really works from a young age.