Brass Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Brass Question

Post by dennie »

Yesterday I tumbled some .45ACP brass. When I deprimed the brass I noticed some of the brass had very large flash holes. I measured the largest ones at .100-.125". It looked huge! A lot of my .45ACP brass is pickups or given to me by friends.
Question is, how large can the flash hole be to use safely, and should I just destroy the brass with the large holes? Also, why would someone open the holes to this size?
Thanx,
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: Brass Question

Post by SteveR »

When you were depriming did any feel really hard to get out? I have had some berdan primed 45 and 9mm that felt funny when decapping. What happen was the decapper pin punched a hole through the primer pocket.

If the pocket holds the new primer, prime one and shoot it with just the primer, and it holds the primer in the pocket, then you will probably have no problems.

Steve
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I am sure I read about this. IIRC, these are most probably "green ammo" rounds. I'm thinking CCI. Compressed/scintered metal bullets that disintegrate on contact with anything firm.

Regardless, I would discard those and use only the ones with standard flash holes. If for no other reason than consistency and accuracy, but also for safety.

Just isn't worth taking the chance IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Dennie

Are those large primer pockets or small"
The NT primers use small pockets and I have been told that the flash holes are oversized.

Jack
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

large flash holes are drilled so the shooter can use wax, rubber or plastic bullets so the primer doesnt back out when fired cant speak to foreign manufactures but I have seen large holes on brass I picked up before, speer recommends it for their target bullets. danny
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BigSky56 wrote:large flash holes are drilled so the shooter can use wax, rubber or plastic bullets so the primer doesnt back out when fired cant speak to foreign manufactures but I have seen large holes on brass I picked up before, speer recommends it for their target bullets. danny
Yep, those and "blanks" need the flash holes enlargened so the primers don't back out. Usually to about an 1/8" (.125). What OSOK said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

These are all large primer pockets, and yes, some of the old primers made a "ding" type of noise when they popped out. I do not plan on running wax or other odd types of bullets. I only have a few this way, so will just scrap them and move on.
Thanx for the help.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker