"Painless migraine"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

"Painless migraine"

Post by olyinaz »

A friend is having these - "painless migraines". He sees lightning bolts in his vision but no pain. Scary as heck, but the Doc said, "Do you see this?" Yes! That's exactly it! "It's a painless migraine. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning." Seemed really ho-hum about it.

So does anyone here know anything about these and/or what helps to make them pass? My buddy will be very appreciative of any info (he's understandably a bit worried about it).

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Garneteye
Levergunner

Re: "Painless migraine"

Post by Garneteye »

Called ocular migraine - no pain but does mess up your vision somewhat. Since I only have one working eye(firecracker on Christmas morning/ age 6) I simply close my eye and wait for it to pass, usually about 30 minutes for me. Does cause some problems while driving, simply find the quickest safe place to stop and wait. Have had them for over 30 years, no rhyme or reason to when they occur.

Dan
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

My Dr. called it Optic Migraine. Jagged distortion of the vision, usually it only affects one side. Strange when you can see the left side of a printed word but not the right side letters. I have had these since the mid eighties, usually a few times a year, sometimes two or three a day. They last about 20 minutes. All I do is sit back, try to relax and close my eyes. If I happen to fall asleep the condition passes while I nap. No pain whatsoever and if I recall correctly there is no reason for concern.

http://ezinearticles.com/?7-Things-You- ... &id=400395
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I get them on a regular basis. Takes about half an hour to clear up for me. I can sense when they are coming and just sit quietly for a bit. They seem to have got more frequent but less severe (in the sense of some vision loss) as I have got older. Thinking about it now, it is strange but I rarely get them driving the truck!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone know of any good relief from severe migrains , no someone that has them daily. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

excedrin, because of the jolt of caffeine.

might also check on food allergies, and get sodium out of their diet
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pitchy wrote:Anyone know of any good relief from severe migrains , no someone that has them daily. :(
Pitchy, one of my daughters gets severe ones on a regular basis, she gets a little relief from "Exederin Migraine"

There is a local acupuncture guy that my wife visits for her back and he runs a migraine clinic (treats a lot of well known people apparantly), supposed to be very good but EXPENSIVE!! However he told my wife that he is interested in doing some shooting with me sometime so I may get an "in' there :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Pete, I outgrew mine, and have only had one since college days.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

bulldog1935 wrote:Pete, I outgrew mine, and have only had one since college days.
Yes, I outgrew my headache migraines in my mid thirties, just still get the "eye" ones, my daughter who gets them is approaching forty now with no sign of them letting up but we keep our fingers crossed!!
Pete
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thanks! I'll pass the info along but it's most helpful to hear that this is somewhat common and that it passes.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it's kind of like a fire, it takes a combination of physical stress, external stimulus and allergic reaction.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Often, there are triggers which cause the migraine. It can be like my trigger, chocolate, or it could be the nitrates from processed meats, or wine. The thing is, each person has their own triggers. In women, they are often hormonal, and there is no way I know of to fix that. Accupuncture was what worked best to make my migraines go away. I haven't had one hospitalize me for 25 years. They all do have something in common about blood flow through the brain.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I used to work with a guy who had migraines from time to time. He always tried to avoid dairy products. He said if he had too much it would bring on a migraine.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jb00_98
Levergunner

Post by jb00_98 »

My Dr. recommended taking 2 naproxen sodium tabs (Aleve is one of the store brands, I get cheaper generics) as soon as I notice the "sparkles". Works pretty good for me, but I like to follow that with 20-30 minutes in a dark room or a nap if possible...

Vision is okay after that, but my eyes feel bruised for about a day after like I was on the receiving end of two-fingered Three Stooges-style eye gouge...
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Oly,

I have had the visual distortions (lightning bolt bolts & spirals), but only with the severe pain. It was not fun to have all of this in the heat of Summer, while trying to work under the dashboard of a Ford Tempo. What triggered my migraines is Nutrasweet/ Aspartame/ Equal. That stuff is a major source of migraine headaches for airline pilots, too. I cut out the Aspartame, about 10 years ago, and I have many fewer migraines, now.

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I got those painless lightening flashes and the eye doc told me it was detached vitroeus (the gooey stuf in your eye) and said welcome to 59. Sometimes it is like hair hanging over my eye--that's been a long time since my hair would fall into my face and not the sink...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. Gotta actually see doctor and be sure it isn't something else like a tumor, retinal tear, etc., but having said that...

2. Look for triggers - foods, smells, sometimes just 'stress', and avoid when able.

3. Rare ones can be just treated per-episode with the meds mentioned above, plus a few others we sometimes use.

4. Frequent ones can be prevented or made to happen less often with some medications we'd normally use for blood pressure, or even for seizures or depression.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have had the lightning bolts for a few years and finally told our eye doctor about this year. She ask me if I had any pain or other problems, I told her no. She said don't worry about them, if anything changes to let her know. She teaches eye surgery at UAMS in Little Rock, so I trust her call on it. It is a 100 mile from here to Little Rock but worth the trip.
Doc AJ is right if you start having them see a doctor.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

A coworker of mine was seeing round spots flashing in his vision from time to time. The doctor said it was the eyes version of a painless headache. Glasses corrected his problem. :?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I don't have any experience with the migraines, but my philosophy is always to treat the cause if possible, and not just the symptoms. That is, unless you aren't worried about the cause. I guess if there's no pain and the doc says don't worry too much, I might not worry too much.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:1. Gotta actually see doctor and be sure it isn't something else like a tumor, retinal tear, etc., but having said that...

2. Look for triggers - foods, smells, sometimes just 'stress', and avoid when able.

3. Rare ones can be just treated per-episode with the meds mentioned above, plus a few others we sometimes use.

4. Frequent ones can be prevented or made to happen less often with some medications we'd normally use for blood pressure, or even for seizures or depression.
Yep, he's been to a doc and they're setting up some extra tests just to be safe. He tells me caffeine in large doses is a sure fire trigger (as in a Venti Starbucks Latte with an extra shot). And dehydration too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Yep, he's been to a doc and they're setting up some extra tests just to be safe. He tells me caffeine in large doses is a sure fire trigger (as in a Venti Starbucks Latte with an extra shot).
What's funny, is that for some people, caffeine may be a way to TREAT migraine symptoms. Even more interesting is that for many patients an orgasm stops the migraine; obviously that is an effective Rx only for painless and/or 'early' migraines. Hard to imagine that being useful when they are at the peak of a painful migraine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I get them and I usually sit in a darkened room until they pass (usually a half hour). They are disorienting if I try to walk or drive. I get about 4 - 5 per year. Way better than the painful kind.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

I've had a few. What I get is a shimmering region that I see with both eyes. It grow larger but becomes less intense and then goes away after 20 minutes or so. I can't identify anything that might have caused them.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Boy I tell you what, this has been an eye opener for me ( :mrgreen: ) as I'd never heard of them and I was worried for my buddy. He's pretty relieved to hear how common it is and that it pretty much just passes. Big sigh of relief.
AJMD429 wrote:
olyinaz wrote:Yep, he's been to a doc and they're setting up some extra tests just to be safe. He tells me caffeine in large doses is a sure fire trigger (as in a Venti Starbucks Latte with an extra shot).
What's funny, is that for some people, caffeine may be a way to TREAT migraine symptoms. Even more interesting is that for many patients an orgasm stops the migraine; obviously that is an effective Rx only for painless and/or 'early' migraines. Hard to imagine that being useful when they are at the peak of a painful migraine.
Well that makes perfect sense really, but I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole! (No pun!)

:roll:

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

So thats my problem!
I have been getting the flashing bolt for the past 10 years. Exact same pattern every time. No pain, but leaves me feeling a bit tired. Bright sunlight or sometimes the computer screen can bring it on. If I sit down for half an hour it goes away. Optician says not to worry, and appears to be very common in older people.