Got my tang sights (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Got my tang sights (photos)

Post by KirkD »

Gentlemen, I'm 58 years old and with open iron sights I have seldom been able to shoot five-shot groups at 100 yards smaller than 2" for the past few years. It has been a reminder that the 'old grey mare just ain't what she used to be' or, in my case, the old stallion ain't what he used to be. I finally decided to get me some original tang sights to fit my original Winchester Model 1886 45-70 and my original Winchester Model 1873 44 WCF (44-40). A friend of mine put me in touch with an expert in old Winchester tang sights over in Main. I told him the Model of Winchesters and serial numbers so he could figure out which tang sights were originally used on these old classics. I wanted originals because both rifles are in original condition.

Well, this past week they finally arrived. What neat pieces of 1800's craftsmanship! The first one here is the earliest version of the Lyman #1 with fine knurling, the open bottom and a patent date of May 6/84. My '73 was received in the warehouse in 1889, so this sight would have been used on '73s at that time. Here is a photo of the little beauty mounted on my '73 and precisely centered for windage ....

Here is a photo of the other original tang sight on my '86. It is a Lyman #1a with locking stem and flip down aperture. When the bolt is levered back, the sight fits perfectly in the rear notch of the bolt.

Well, I got both tang sights mounted and precisely aligned in windage. The wife told me I had an hour till supper so I took off with my '86 to the range just before supper to get a quick few shots in to try 'er out. Wow! These tang sights make everything razor sharp .... rear sight notch, front blade and target. Even a half-blind, falling-down drunk with a serious case of the shakes could get tight groups at 100 yards with these things. I have to say that I am thrilled. Anyway, all I had loaded up were some 45-70 cartridges with 405 plain base bullets. I have other loads that are significantly more accurate, but I had no cartridges loaded up at the moment with those more accurate loads. Anyway, I got a five shot group of 2 & 3/4" at 100 yards without hardly even trying. I still had the rear sight on and I found it to be a bit of a distraction in centring the front bead, but I'll remove and archive that rear sight and load up some of my accurate loads and try it out later this week. Anyway, here's a shot of the target with my poor accuracy load. This tang sight should allow me to shoot one ragged hole if I have an accurate load. I'll be experimenting.

Boys, if you got a fine old lever gun and those open sights are starting to look like a bad blur to your old eyes, I would highly recommend a tang sight. It is almost cheating, they sharpen things up so nicely! You can take your scope and give it a heave. With these tang sights, I figure I'm good for a lot further than 200 yards once I get my loads fine tuned for accuracy. The originals are dadgummed expensive. I'll be eating dried crusts and water for the next while. You can get modern reproductions of these from Lyman and Marbles for a fraction the price. I just wanted originals on my two old guns.
Last edited by KirkD on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got my tang sights (photos)

Post by jdad »

Kirk,
Nice tang sights, but they both look like #1's. The #2 had a screw in eye piece. The second one appears to be a #1a combo. It has the locking stem and should have the flip down inner aperture.

Doesn't really matter since your happy and they do look nice.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Jdad, I'm sure you are right. I corrected my original post according to your info. I didn't know what it was, (the fellow didn't mention any details) so I went to the Lyman web sight and found one that looks like the one on my '86 here http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/1886.php They called it a #2, but I don't know the difference between a #1 and a #2. Mine does have the locking stem and the flip down inner aperture. I'm not particular as to the Model or type .... I just wanted original tang sights that the old timers would have screwed onto their old guns back in the day, even if it were some years after they first bought it without any tang sights.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Them are sweet kirk,I know what ya mean with the eyes

ollogger
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Very nice Kirk. Those sights do indeed look like they belong there.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Kirk they look good I think I have the same #2 on my 92 38wcf rifle. What a difference in the woods shooting with them. I know you will like the results.
I got to the point where I couldn't see the sights in the woods but the tange and a German silver blade are still good.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I want your guns.

Well, OK, no, I want guns just like yours though :P

Very nice and I completely understand the insistance on matching the sights to the vintage of the firearms.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's NICE to see such beautiful guns be in the hands not of some wealthy stuff-collector, sitting unused in a vault or display-case, but actually being USED afield, as was intended. Somehow it just seems right...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice indeed, glad your happy with em Kirk. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Kirk, fine rifles and fine sights. I know what you mean about the increase in sight/target clarity with them. I've been singing the virtues of tang sights for years. The significantly increased sight radius is good but with a small target aperture so close to one's eye the DoF increases dramatically even for us farsighted afflicted souls. Together, those two improvements give one a dramatic improvement in accuracy. It's almost magic to have both the front sight and the target appear as clear as that through the little hole. Keep us posted on your results with your 'accuracy' loads.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:It's NICE to see such beautiful guns be in the hands not of some wealthy stuff-collector, sitting unused in a vault or display-case, but actually being USED afield, as was intended. Somehow it just seems right...!
Exactly! :D We are all living vicariously through you Kirk!!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I know what you mean Kirk...
@50yds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

You are so right. i now have tang sights on almost all my traditional lever guns --not on my winchester 88 or ruger 96 : )
with a folding rear leaf sight [ or a blank for the slot ] i can once again begin to realize the real accuracy my rifles offer.
and the tang sight works really well for fast up close shooting too, for me a lot easier than a scope for a close in running shot.
cable
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

They look great Kirk. :D :D
I started putting tang sights on my levers a few years ago (my eyes are 11 years older than yours) and to me it was just like fitting a scope, everything got sharp :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have tang sights on only two of my leverguns. Both mdl 94s as I use them for hunting. Since I use the pistol caliber stuff for CAS, and pinpoint accuracy is the least of its' demands... I don't have a need... in fact, I rarely even use the rear sight... just put the front sight on the target and slap the trigger!

But... some fellars say they're faster to sight with. I don't find that to be the case... but maybe I SHOULD try it! I couldn't go much slower!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent tastes sir, as ever.

I look forward to your range reports.

Nath :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Well done Kirk, they look great.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Inspiring.

Thanks for sharing.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Looks GREAT and works better!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very nice Kirk. You've got style.

You know, it's getting on toward the end of this year and I don't have a calendar to hang in my gun room yet. Am I gonna have to go to ChinaMart and get one with a bunch of kittens or are you going to grace us with one this year?

Pretty please?

Cat
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Cat, I would really like to produce a calendar for 2013. I'm planning to do it, but can't commit myself to it yet. If I do, I want to have it ready by October 30th. I'm working on it.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Oh right on!!!

Don't know how I could help, but if I can just let me know, be happy to. Thanks.

Cat
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

WOW. :mrgreen:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot