saiga shotgun opinion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

saiga shotgun opinion

Post by rossim92 »

Howdy! My son is interested in getting a saiga 20 gauge semiauto shotgun. He would like your opinions and recommendations to this gun. Thanks :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: saiga shotgun opinion

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buddy on my FD likes his 12ga... makes a huge mess of things with buckshot and a drum mag...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd personally go with 12 guage. The ammo is actually cheaper and there are more aftermarket parts for the 12.

They are AKM's and very rugged and reliable. Very easy to convert to a pistol grip configuration with basic workshope tools as well. If you're interested: http://vimeo.com/2787027 and http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?&&CODE=00
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Their 7.62x39 rifles are basic, but pretty well made, semiauto-AK 'clones'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I shot a 12ga one and it shot and cycled fine but it did a number on my finger under recoil.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The Saiga is on a list of about 10 "just because" guns i would like to buy before the next political scare (i probably dont have time to get to all 10 :oops: :oops: :roll: - November is a scant 3 months away )

I really wanted one once i thought it was going on the bad list for firearms with no sporting purpose a few months back -----

but truthfully, my shotgun needs are pretty well covered with an old 870 police model for HD work and a couple of Winchester semi-autos for sporting purposes -- so my Saiga keeps getting back-burnered
--- but a very neat shotgun out of the box, and in my eyes, even cooler with an AK stock and pistol grip conversion
----- Doug
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The Saiga 12 ga manual states that it requires 3" magnum shells to cycle the action because of the stiff spring. My son's friend, Jeff has one and I've shot it a number of times. He's tried it with the basic Federal 2 3/4" fodder from WalMart and it won't cycle reliably with the standard stuff. He has added the AK stock and pistol grip conversion and has both the 10rd stick and 20rd drum mag and they work well. In truth, it's more of a blaster weapon than anything practical but Jeff loves his.

If that's what he wants . . . . . . .
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

COSteve wrote:The Saiga 12 ga manual states that it requires 3" magnum shells to cycle the action because of the stiff spring. My son's friend, Jeff has one and I've shot it a number of times. He's tried it with the basic Federal 2 3/4" fodder from WalMart and it won't cycle reliably with the standard stuff.
I keep thinking I saw something on saiga12.com (or some such) that solved the issue but I don't recall for sure. It was a while back when I had thoughts of getting one...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

What is not to like about an AK shotgun. Typical Russian stuff, stamped parts, loosey goosey fit, reliable and rugged.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

A kid used one on our local skeet range. Got all sorts of chuckles and snerks from the "Browning and Perazzi-only" snobs. He did quite well IIRC.

Ugly as sin, but it apparently works well enough for him.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stew71 wrote:A kid used one on our local skeet range. Got all sorts of chuckles and snerks from the "Browning and Perazzi-only" snobs. He did quite well IIRC.
THAT alone would be enough of a reason to buy one, and practice as much as possible...! :twisted: :twisted:

(Any kind of 'snobs' irritate me, especially 'gun snobs'.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote:
stew71 wrote:A kid used one on our local skeet range. Got all sorts of chuckles and snerks from the "Browning and Perazzi-only" snobs. He did quite well IIRC.
THAT alone would be enough of a reason to buy one, and practice as much as possible...! :twisted: :twisted:

+1!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

With the right ammo, they can be reliable and easy to shoot.

3-gun competitors love the things.

Be advised magazines can give some issues, but for most shooting, not a huge deal.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:

I ran 75 once at the Elmendorf/Ft Rich skeet range with a Cylinder Bore Mossberg Mariner. The O/U shooters were NOT happy... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Too funny,took My 870 with the 20" barrel rifle sights to the skeet field years ago.just for fun. Joe Expert laughed and said You cant shoot skeet with that as he struts around with his o/u.
I beat Him with the deer gun and He storms off like a little kid, :lol: .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

.45colt wrote:Too funny,took My 870 with the 20" barrel rifle sights to the skeet field years ago.just for fun. Joe Expert laughed and said You cant shoot skeet with that as he struts around with his o/u.
I beat Him with the deer gun and He storms off like a little kid, :lol: .

:lol: I had roughly the same thing happen years ago when i took a Winchester Defender to shoot skeet ---- funny thing is, i didnt care about any snide comments -- i had a lot of fun nonetheless and did better than a couple of guys, worse than some others --

I still want a nice Browning O/U , or a Ruger Red Label
----- Doug
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

AJMD429 wrote:

Oh yea! Those folks really pee me off. Back when I was younger, I was pretty good with a shotgun on the skeet range. I was on the national shooting team as a junior, was recruited by the Army to be on their marksmanship unit with dreams of the Olympics. All that got derailed when I was medically discharged from the Army. Oh well.

A few years back a gunsmith buddy of mine made me a pair of social shotguns (1100 and 870). Standard black speedfeed stocks, screw-in chokes, lengthened forcing cones, ghost ring night sights, etc. I took them to a local skeet range that I had not been to before, so they did not know me. One of those blowhards tried to tell me I could not shoot that gun on this range. After a little polite discussion where I asked him to explain why my 1100 was not ok, but those others on the rack were good to go, I got to shoot. I even challenged him to shoot with me for lunch. The luch he bought me was one of the best I've ever had. He actually turn out to be a pretty good guy, and he learned something that day.