Anyone here ever actually SHOOT a Rhino...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Anyone here ever actually SHOOT a Rhino...???

Post by AJMD429 »

This kind, that is...

The lower-barrel-axis I get, and it makes lots of sense, but it just seems like those grips are about as ergonomic as a piece of PVC-pipe. Still, a very interesting concept.

Why not grips more like this...????
RedRhino.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone here ever actually SHOOT a Rhino...???

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I was going to say Charles J. Guiteau :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

That there is just UGLY. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We need a new law. That's too ugly to be sold in my state.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

To ugly for me to shoot :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I handled one a couple of weeks ago at the LGS. Actually balanced well in the hand and had a decent trigger. Ugly as sin, though.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Now this post would be appropriate to the puke icon.

Steve
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Have you seen the linkage work they had to do to make the trigger actually pull the (sort of) hammer?

It hurts my brain just to look at it.

But if it shoots, go for it. Ugly guns need love too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

alnitak wrote:I handled one a couple of weeks ago at the LGS. Actually balanced well in the hand and had a decent trigger. Ugly as sin, though.
wecsoger wrote:Have you seen the linkage work they had to do to make the trigger actually pull the (sort of) hammer? It hurts my brain just to look at it. But if it shoots, go for it. Ugly guns need love too.
Thanks - that's the kind of feedback I was interested in; I KNOW they're 'ugly' (you should read some of the scathing commentary on the 1911's when they first came out to replace the 'pretty' revolvers :D ).

I just can't imagine that after all the innovation and lockwork-design needed to make them, that they stuck on such a strange pistol grip - 'looks' aside, it just doesn't seem like that grip would be one giving you consistent hand placement like the more traditional ones do.

Some on-line reviews are out there where the author said they feel good in the hand and are accurate, though. I'd still like to hear from someone NOT being paid to write a review, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I notice that .40 S&W is listed.....I wonder if clips are necessary? Did you notice that the Logo looks like PacMan?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ugly for sure BUT, have you ever fired an UN-GUN Trap shotgun? Same concept but only they have a straight stock and very high (4" or so) rib. The felt recoil is reduced enough you think you are shooting a gun several gauges smaller. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They laughed when Kenworth debuted the "Ant-Eater", (T-600), now, due to it's body style and fuel economy the latest version, the T-660 is one of the most popular trucks in the class 8 category.

But for THAT to be popular, we'd all have to be driving Edsels! :twisted: :twisted: And own a
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

The short barreled one isn't half bad looking. The cylinder is not round from what I've read (can it still be called a cylinder if it is NOT round?). Wonder if it functions well? It's probably ugly enough to work.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot one, but I don't make a habit of shooting at ugly revolvers. :wink:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've seen many pictures of the Rhino's and never have I see one as ugly as that. Those wood grips really hurt my eyes.

Being said I'd like to line up a SA, a traditional DA and one of those and put them thru the paces at the range and see what I think of the three platforms back to back to back.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

How the Rhino works, part III: the non-hammer.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_fil ... c-764.html

Monday, October 25, 2010 Filed in: Revolvers, General gun stuff
Quick: is this Rhino cocked, or not?

As it happens, it is. The "hammer" that you see isn't a hammer at all. Since the gun fires from the bottom chamber of the cylinder, the hammer is buried deep within the frame. Since the hammer is inaccessible, to cock it for single action requires that something reach down into the works. That something is called the cocking lever, and it's connected to the thing that looks like a hammer but isn’t - but which, confusingly, is called the external hammer.

To cock the gun, the external hammer is pulled back; it pushes the cocking lever down, which certainly looks like it’s connected to the internal hammer - but it's not! The cocking lever actually works by forcing a piece called the hammer spring lever down. The hammer spring lever in turn rotates the hammer back, thereby cocking the gun. When the gun is cocked, a spring on the external hammer returns it to the rest position, pulling the cocking lever back up with it while the other parts stay in the cocked position. A red flag on the left top of the frame (which was cleverly not shown in the first picture) is pushed up by the hand (which they call a ‘lifting lever’ ) to let the user know the gun is cocked. You can see that part if you look carefully for the red line just under and to the right of the external hammer.

When the Rhino is cocked, the external hammer is held in the forward position under spring pressure. To decock the gun, it is pulled back and held while the trigger is pulled. Then the user allows the external hammer to slowly and carefully return to the rest position.

What's interesting is that the key to this whole operation is the cocking lever. If one wants to render his/her Rhino double action only, it's a simple matter of removing the sideplate and pulling out the cocking lever:

It simply lifts out of the works. The sideplate is replaced, and the gun is now DAO. The external hammer can still be manipulated (remember that it has its own spring to keep it in the forward position), but since there is nothing connecting it to any other part of the gun it performs no function. Actually, that's not quite true - since the rear sight is a notch machined into the external hammer, it still serves as the rear sight.

Next time we'll take a look at the Rhino's very different single action sear (bet you can’t spot it) and how it works. It’s anything but straightforward!
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage